• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't see this one ever getting a hearing, but it's an interesting one.

Rep. Massie is completely right about the effect of GFZ's, but I have to wonder if you are too. Granted, this is about the best chance this effort will likely ever get...I'm still not sure there will be enough support to get it done.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    As I said in one of the other threads on this, this is already gone a la Lopez.

It was gone a la Lopez for a brief while. They made a few changes and passed it again the next year.

You (KF) have said this before, and it puzzles me. Like TJBB says, it come back with "the magic words" (interstate commerce) inserted, and people have been prosecuted, convicted, and convictions upheld on appeal under the current GFSZ law. ?? (Granted those people had to do something else to make it obvious they were carrying in a GFSZ, usually illegal drugs).

I would like to see this law go away, but I would not expend any political capital on it when there are much more damaging anti-2A laws on the books.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    At a campaign event in Burlington, Vermont, then candidate Donald Trump said these words to those in attendance. "I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools, and-you have to-and on military bases." My first day, it gets signed, okay? My first day. There's no more gun-free zones."

The quote came from a Washington Post article dated January 8, 2016 and was written by Jenna Johnson. Now, today is the first day. How will he accomplish this since there is a federal law, the Gun-Free School Zones Act that was passed in 1990 and signed by then President George H.W. Bush. Would it not take an act of congress to overturn this bill? He references "it gets signed". My question is what gets signed? Legislation? Executive order? Will he hold true to his promise as to taking care of this on his first day or was his campaign statement just more rhetoric?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I would not under any circumstances support an executive order over turning a law duly passed by congress and signed.

While I generally agree. Do you see a difference between overturning a law, and simply not enforcing it? As some examples, a LEO not writing a ticket for speeding, or a closer one would be not going after med marijuana growers/dispensaries in states that have legalized it. Which is what Obama generally did.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If the whole law cannot be repealed then at least the thousand foot requirement must go, as it effectively eliminates any possibility of constitutional carry being possible as you would have to plan every outing while carrying to be at least 1/4 mile away every school in order to comply with the law, unless you had a license/permit.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I wish Thomas Massie were my congressman, one of the few good ones. He drives a Tesla with a Kentucky 'friends of coal' license plate ha

Top Bottom