• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    In a 10-4 decision the Fourth Circuit Appeals Court of Richmond, VA ruled that ownership of an "assault rifle" is not protected by the Second Amendment and use for home defense (among other things).

We conclude — contrary to the now vacated
    decision of our prior panel — that the banned assault
    weapons and large-capacity magazines are not protected by the
    Second Amendment. That is, we are convinced that the banned
    assault weapons and large-capacity magazines are among those
    arms that are “like” “M-16 rifles” — “weapons that are most
    useful in military service” — which the Heller Court singled out
    as being beyond the Second Amendment’s reach. See 554 U.S. at
    627 (rejecting the notion that the Second Amendment safeguards
    “M-16 rifles and the like”). Put simply, we have no power to
    extend Second Amendment protection to the weapons of war that
    the Heller decision explicitly excluded from such coverage.
    Nevertheless, we also find it prudent to rule that — even if the
    banned assault weapons and large-capacity magazines are somehow
    entitled to Second Amendment protection — the district court
    properly subjected the FSA to intermediate scrutiny and
    correctly upheld it as constitutional under that standard of
    review.

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Pub...945A.P.pdf

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Such BS. The army was using Muskets when 2A was written. Obviously the founders didn't exclude "military style" weapons from the 2nd as Muskets were a "military style" weapon at that time.

We need to get a 5th 2A friendly judge on the SC...now.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Well, it's time to cerakote my AR so it isn't a scary black rifle.

That sounds ridiculous, but the anti-gunners are so ignorant that it just might work.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    So what effect does this ruling have?

Is this going to Supreme to finally rule black rifles and high cap mags constitutional?

Does this affect Indiana at all in the mean time?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I don't think it affects IN at all in the meantime, but this coming week I WILL be grabbing an AR to reside alongside my AKMs.

I'm starting to think things can be bad, BUT every single one of these bans are 'feature bans' it's just rediculous feel good legislation. The same gun grabbers hating AR-15s and AKs would be just fine with you shooting an M1 or Mosin nagant, even a wood stock SKS would be perfectly good, and all of those likely saw service.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't think it affects IN at all in the meantime, but this coming week I WILL be grabbing an AR to reside alongside my AKMs.

I'm starting to think things can be bad, BUT every single one of these bans are 'feature bans' it's just rediculous feel good legislation. The same gun grabbers hating AR-15s and AKs would be just fine with you shooting an M1 or Mosin nagant, even a wood stock SKS would be perfectly good, and all of those likely saw service.

you mean don't already have at least five? O_o

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    you mean don't already have at least five? O_o
    Never liked them until yesterday to be honest, went to the range with the boys to fire some AKM and a few other things, someone let my 7 year old blast thru 100 rounds with an M&P sport. He's hooked, have my excuse and the go ahead to purchase

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Never liked them until yesterday to be honest, went to the range with the boys to fire some AKM and a few other things, someone let my 7 year old blast thru 100 rounds with an M&P sport. He's hooked, have my excuse and the go ahead to purchase

Then what the hell are you doing sitting around posting on the derned interweb? Go get it!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    People who don`t understand firearms cannot reason that an "assault rifle" is no different functionally than any basic semi-auto hunting rifle. This is just so much more liberal rhetoric, and as with all the other propaganda, it`s designed to turn the public against us, and chip away at our Second Amendment rights. The fact is, it is unconstitutional, and therefore, illegal, to infringe upon the right to keep and bear arms, and especially for a, supposedly, cosmetic reason.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Once again they fail to understand the very simple concept of "shall not be infringed. In fact the whole idea of the second amendment was to allow "civilian" ownership of "military style weapons" (as well as all others) in order to be able to fulfill the first half of the second amendment, in the event we needed to take up arms as a militia in order to maintain a free state.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Then what the hell are you doing sitting around posting on the derned interweb? Go get it!
    Payday is tuesday, got a line on a good deal if it's there tuesday I'll be set and the boy will be blasting away again. Hopefully the deal holds out till then, wife won't let me use a credit card and I don't think I can get donations for it

I don't want gun grabbers knowing that their assault rifle boogey man is just like a hunting rifle, otherwise they'll come for those next

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Wasn't the U.S. vs Miller ruling the SCOTUS handed down based partially on the fact that short barrel shotguns were NOT used by the military? Now this court is saying you can't have an AR-15 because it IS used by the military?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wasn't the U.S. vs Miller ruling the SCOTUS handed down based partially on the fact that short barrel shotguns were NOT used by the military? Now this court is saying you can't have an AR-15 because it IS used by the military?

you cannot debate liberals with logic. They don't use logic. They use emotion and deceit to get their agenda through

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    But, but, but I was told that there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between Republican or Democrats in the presidency making appointments to the federal courts!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just another branch of the State in need of serious pruning.

Encourage the citizenry to reject and nullify this sort of nonsense from the jury box at every opportunity.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    you cannot debate liberals with logic. They don't use logic. They use emotion and deceit to get their agenda through
    This whole ruling was based on emotion. They certainly will push their agenda even if they have to disregard and miss-apply previous ruling to get there.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    But, but, but I was told that there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between Republican or Democrats in the presidency making appointments to the federal courts!
    It's judicial activist cases like this that blindingly shines the light.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am going to wrap mine in a burka and claim sanctuary. It will be protected and the tax payers will have to keep it fed and maintained.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't want gun grabbers knowing that their assault rifle boogey man is just like a hunting rifle, otherwise they'll come for those next

That is one of the problems that we have in unity as gun owners. Many hunters think their rifles are nice and the semi auto's are not nice. There are even hunters and cowboys on the NRA board that are willing to sacrifice semi auto rifles as a "compromise" A huge amount of shotgun guys are smuggly thinking "they will not come after my $32,000 Perazzi or even my $12,000 Ceasar Guerini, it is just those nasty assault rifles" I keep trying to convince them, the gun grabbers will crush a high end O/U with just as much emotional glee as a $79 sks. England destroyed showpiece firearms that were owned by kings from their museums.

We all have to fight with a unified voice.

Top Bottom