• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Let me start off by saying I'm not one to get upset or be picky about service. Let alone take the time to start a thread about a business. I have visited and purchased from Blythes before and have found their service to be ok.

I'm currently in the market for a new safe since buying a new home. I decided to stop in at Blythes since they seemed to have a good selection of safes and figured I could get some advice on what would suit my needs. Boy was I wrong! I walked directly to the back where the safes are located and began browsing. There was an employee helping 2 women as I walked back. There was no acknowledgement as I walked by, but he was helping 2 ladies no big deal. So as I was browsing for about 15 mins and looking at the safes the gentleman asked me if I needed some help. I responded in the affirmative and that I did have a few questions. He was still helping the ladies but told me he was almost done and he would be right over.

At this time I continued to browse waiting for him to finish. About 5 mins passed it appeared that he was done helping the other customers and I figured he would be right over. I waited about another 5 mins never came over to help me. So I peaked out towards the gun counter and sure enough there he was helping someone with looking at guns. At this point he made eye contact with me and didn't say anything as I proceeded to walk out of the store.

So all in all I have come to the conclusion that Blythes is not worth patronizing anymore. Also I'm sure his boss wouldn't be too happy that he lost out on a 2k plus sale as I headed home and purchased my safe from online they had the exact one in the store. Just want to pass along my experience and hear others opinions.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am totally shocked, not because they did not help you, but because they were helping women. The two times I was in there, I had to beg someone to wait on me even though there were salespeople free. I just assumed that they had a policy that women were not worth the effort.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    They just have poor service it's so disappointing we definitely need a fresh new gun store in the area.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I am totally shocked, not because they did not help you, but because they were helping women. The two times I was in there, I had to beg someone to wait on me even though there were salespeople free. I just assumed that they had a policy that women were not worth the effort.

Yeah, they're indiscriminately terrible. No worries...

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I have been there a couple of times and had no issue. I always ask for help though. Can you recommend some other stores in that area? Im new to Valpo and that is the only one I know of so that is why I go there.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I have been there a couple of times and had no issue. I always ask for help though. Can you recommend some other stores in that area? Im new to Valpo and that is the only one I know of so that is why I go there.

I go to the range in valpo I have never had a problem there it is only the Griffith store that seems to have terrible customer service, but what do they care they dont have much competition in the area.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    When visiting Griffith Blythe's, rarely am I asked if I need help. TBH, typically that's fine with me, as I tend to either browse around and see if there's anything new I really need (unlikely, other than cleaning supplies, maybe ammunition), or walk right up to the counter by the register, tell them what I need from behind the counter, and check out.

One little 'trick' that seems to work for me (maybe for you, as well?) is, when I walk up by the register, I take out my money or card at that moment, so whoever notices knows I'm ready to pay up and go. Seems to work every time, LOL.

Another 'tactic' I've used is the 'feigned forgetfulness'. Walk up to the register to purchase (usually cleaning supplies or ammo, as noted) and as I'm checking out, usually I'll get the 'standard', "Will there be anything else?" or some similar verbiage from the counter person. At that point, I'll respond with "Come to think of it, I was thinking of buying (a safe, firearm or whatever). Is there someone that could help me with that?" They already KNOW I'm a paying customer, so the assistance is quickly forthcoming.

Dunno, just my own 'style', I guess. Maybe these tips would be of benefit to someone else. :dunno:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    When visiting Griffith Blythe's, rarely am I asked if I need help. TBH, typically that's fine with me, as I tend to either browse around and see if there's anything new I really need (unlikely, other than cleaning supplies, maybe ammunition), or walk right up to the counter by the register, tell them what I need from behind the counter, and check out.

One little 'trick' that seems to work for me (maybe for you, as well?) is, when I walk up by the register, I take out my money or card at that moment, so whoever notices knows I'm ready to pay up and go. Seems to work every time, LOL.

Another 'tactic' I've used is the 'feigned forgetfulness'. Walk up to the register to purchase (usually cleaning supplies or ammo, as noted) and as I'm checking out, usually I'll get the 'standard', "Will there be anything else?" or some similar verbiage from the counter person. At that point, I'll respond with "Come to think of it, I was thinking of buying (a safe, firearm or whatever). Is there someone that could help me with that?" They already KNOW I'm a paying customer, so the assistance is quickly forthcoming.

Dunno, just my own 'style', I guess. Maybe these tips would be of benefit to someone else. :dunno:

I shouldn't have to use "tricks" to get people to take my money.

True story. I went in there looking for a Rossi Circuit Judge. Asked the guy if they had one, and he said no and wandered away. I looked around and found one. When I caught his attention and held it up for him to see, he barely looked up from his conversation with another employee, and he never even came back to talk to me.

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    I find Blythes a lot more helpful than cabelas..cabelas never seems to have enough guys in the gun area, the last few times I've been in Blythes, they have had 5 or more guys working.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Reading this and the other Blythe's threads leaves me scratching my head. :scratch:

I don't doubt the experiences other people have had but I have not had a negative experience that I can recall. I have been in there regularly for 15+ years now. Today was another day. I went in there with my wife and we promptly parted ways to look at stuff. She was immediately approached by staff and went to the counter where she was allowed to inspect a couple handguns even though she made it clear that she was not buying today. The employee helping her stayed with her until she was done looking... no rush. Granted, they were not busy but we weren't the only ones there either.

Meanwhile I was approached and asked if I needed help at the other end of the store. Once my wife and I were done looking around, we stopped one more time on the way out to check out a shotgun and were once again assisted by an employee. He ended up chatting with us for several minutes before we left.

Like I said, I don't doubt the negative stories. I just don't get it.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Reading this and the other Blythe's threads leaves me scratching my head. :scratch:

ILike I said, I don't doubt the negative stories. I just don't get it.

I have been going into that store on and off since the late 80's. It always seems like it is an absolute crap shoot on customer service at the Griffith store. I no longer live in the region, but from what I see and hear, it has not really changed. I have never had a negative experience at the Valpo store.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I have been going into that store on and off since the late 80's. It always seems like it is an absolute crap shoot on customer service at the Griffith store. I no longer live in the region, but from what I see and hear, it has not really changed. I have never had a negative experience at the Valpo store.
    I try to never go to the Valpo store... They pretty much ignore me and I have to run down an employee or stand for 15 mins looking impatient to get some help.. Their prices are meh, at best. I wont ask advice there ever either, as I've recieved horrible misinformation.. I've been told that rifled slugs spin when they come out of the barrel and that using them in a rifled barrel will destroy it.. and was told that my lc9 warranty was voided because I had taken out the magazine disconnect... Both are horribly wrong and the guy that told me the LC9 thing wouldn't accept my response of "ruger doesnt have an implied warranty, so that doesnt make sense."
    Their customer service to me is horrible, I always see employees walking past, but getting one to even check out takes way too much effort.
    They seem to pay attention to other people more, maybe they just hate me? Bought 2 guns there, won't ever again.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Yep, hit or miss. Sometimes the salesmen are all over you, and today couldn't get one to help me. I left and will try later. It really is getting bad in the Griffith store.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I guess it depends on who is working. I only deal with Roger at the Griffith one and there are a handful of people in Valpo that I know and deal with. I did go into Griffith last week to buy some ammo and talked to one guy who was not good or bad but I would not call anyone who works in a gun shop a salesman. Guns & Ammo have become a let me see it*** thanks or okay I'll take it. They do not TRY and sell anything, simple take your order. I have been to BassPro and Gander and find them to be the worst gun stores on the planet...

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I stopped going to this store 20 years ago, for the same reasons mentioned. I refuse to beg people to take my money. When I go into a store and try to communicate with the person behind the counter, I should not get the impression that I'm bothering them. I tried more than once to give them the chance to pretend they want to provide even the smallest amount of customer service. And the person mentioned above at the Griffith store was one of the worst in my experience.

I really would have thought that they had changed by this point. Kind of sad that it sounds like the same place it always was.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally have a pretty good relationship with Blyth's. I live close by and am in there often. I t would seem like poor customer service to many, but my take is that they are very low pressure salesmen.

I hate going to the Hammond Home Depot on Saturday morning, I usually know what I want and also like to browse, I cant walk ten steps without someone asking " can I help you?".

I prefer low pressure.

Top Bottom