• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Not trying to start anything here but I was just wondering, What is wrong with Don's Guns?

My son and I were thinking of going up there this weekend but from some of the less than favorable comments I have read here, it looks like most people on this board don't support old "don't want to make any money folks" Don.

I was recently at Elmore's in Greenwood, In and couldn't even get near the counter they were so packed. But that's good for them. I'll go back again sometime. I also went to Bradis and was impressed with their new stock although their used stock of revolvers was miniscule. They were also very, very busy and I didn't want to take up their time with questions when I wasn't buying that day.

Anyway, back to everybody's friend Don. All I know about him is what I see on TV. What's the objection?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    CRAZY HIGH prices, above average links to weapons used in crimes, horrible word of mouth from gun community. Enough for me.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive never been in there, and its because of all the bad things I have heard from numerous people over the years.

the worst thing I can remember someone telling me is "you almost need to be armed just to go IN don's guns" ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are lots of threads here, but for me it's two reasons:

1) Don is no friend to gun owners. He has been anti-gun when he can use that position to make a buck.

2) The place is downright dangerous. I don't know if it's due to his clientele or his management, but when I see people pointing loaded pistols at me as they walk out of the range to buy more ammo, that's not a place I'm inclined to stay.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Reputable shops are going to be packed, particularly those with decent deals on AR/AK rifles. Also, the day in which someone visits plays a huge role (go in on a Saturday, not expecting a big crowd, be suprised).

Don DOES want to make money and loves selling guns (to whom is questionable even to this day). I am going to stay out of this best I can! :D

Visit it if you like, however, the area is rather rough, amoung other things (trying to stay out of the fight!!! :D). If you are in Indy, look into the variety of other stores in the Indy area: Plainfield Shooting Supplies, Bradis, and AAC in Mooresville. Deals are to be had there. At Don's, the only thing to be had is you, pricing wise.

On a sidebar, I wonder as to what, if any, increase Don's has had in sales? Given the pricing that occurs at many of the stores nowadays, I wonder how much further up his astronomical pricing has risen? :D Sounds like a recce for this weekend. I need three good men and a minister to accompany me. Whose with me!? :D

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    There are lots of threads here, but for me it's two reasons:

1) Don is no friend to gun owners. He has been anti-gun when he can use that position to make a buck.

2) The place is downright dangerous. I don't know if it's due to his clientele or his management, but when I see people pointing loaded pistols at me as they walk out of the range to buy more ammo, that's not a place I'm inclined to stay.

these two are high on my list of reasons not to go to don's guns. scutter is wise. in addition, you won't get any real help like you would at plainfield shooting supplies and others. even the worst mom and pop beats don's guns.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    There are MANY good stores in the Indianapolis area. No reason to go to Don's.

Just watch out for Beech Grove Firearms. They are good honest people and they REALLY, REALLY want to sell you a gun ;)

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I went to Dons about a month ago just to see what all the hubbub was. I had heard so many bad things that I was thinking it couldn't be all that bad. Well I was wrong. I couldn't believe the prices. One example would be this. Take a new RIA .45 add some aftermarket grips to make it look cool and bump the sticker price up too $900. That's about 125% markup. I now understand why I see his wife tooling around Greenwood in an $80000 Cadillac. But OH NO he don't wanna make no money, just wants to sell guns right. Well his first challenge would be to get some guns. I saw one or two revolvers that I would concider quality firearms. The price on them was absolute lunacy. Dons guns is a perfect example of a predator taking advantage of the un-educated public. But ya know what this is America this is capatalizm if he can get those prices its not my place to complain. However it is my right not to support him and to warn off anyone I can...:ar15:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have been to Don's Gun's one time. I was probably 14 at the time. My dad was taking me shooting. We walked in, paid too much for ammo, looked at prices way to high, then went to the range. We walked in saw two guys (I'm being nice by no describing them) holding a 9mm glock sidways missing the paper completly. I shot maybe 12 rounds from my dads .44 mag (all on target) and said okay we can go.

As soon as we got back into the truck I said, "I think we should find a new range"

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    oh...Dons

my :twocents:
    what ive seen

at least 100.00+ mark up on items
    225.00 or so for hi-point 9 what! MSRP 140.00
    crazy price on range time

didn't like sharing the range with thugs
    "quit eyeing my Saiga" i was thinking....

Ive seen that sideways "Gat" shooting too...
    ALSO
    if i was wearing the gold and flossin dem diamonds i probably would have been helped the other day instead i had to listen to THUGS negotiate prices with the counter.

that was it for me..

Dons still a nice guy, chatty but dont want to sell any guns....

Time will tell....

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ...scutter is wise.....

sigh.... as if his head wasn't big enough as it is... :D Thanks obijohn :)

The last time we were in there, I did not feel comfortable. I can fit in almost anywhere and when I don't feel comfortable, then something's wrong. The store seemed clean from what I recall. I've been in there twice I think. Of course, it may have been just once but the time in there was so long making it seem like two visits. Don and his wife were in the parking lot as we were leaving.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Knowledgable Staff, Decent Prices, Safe, Clean, Well Lit Range, Respectable Clientele, Gun Friendly Ownership. These things are important to some people. If they are not important to you, then go to Dons!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've never visited myself, but from all of the awful things I have heard for years in the gun community, I haven't been and don't plan to go. Not the nicest neighborhood for a gun shop either. No thanks, too many other (better) places to go. I like Popguns' range, if you want to go to an indoor pistol range in the Indianapolis area. It's pretty nice, clean, and it gets the job done. Prices are high on firearms/accessories, but they have helpful counter staff and they keep people from being stupid on the range.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Guns sold at Don's have a very high likelyhood of being used in a crime and/or exported to Chicago for that purpose, On the other hand I have watched AAC terminate sales if they thought it was a straw purchase. I watched a guy run out of Bradis after over an hour of haggleing when they insisted on calling in the background check. I am sure the Bob at Plainfield would physically assult anyone who tried to illegally purchase from him. Also, ever wonder why there are some many Metor Police shopping at Beach Grove and PoP Guns? Because all these dealers follow the law ad support law enforcement. There are many reputable, knowledgeable firearms dealers in Indianapolis area. Why hang around with those of questionalble reputation.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Guns sold at Don's have a very high likelyhood of being used in a crime and/or exported to Chicago for that purpose, On the other hand I have watched AAC terminate sales if they thought it was a straw purchase. I watched a guy run out of Bradis after over an hour of haggleing when they insisted on calling in the background check. I am sure the Bob at Plainfield would physically assult anyone who tried to illegally purchase from him. Also, ever wonder why there are some many Metor Police shopping at Beach Grove and PoP Guns? Because all these dealers follow the law ad support law enforcement. There are many reputable, knowledgeable firearms dealers in Indianapolis area. Why hang around with those of questionalble reputation.

I was wondering that myself there are alot of Metro boys there
    makes sense:patriot:

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am on that side of town once in awhile and drop in. One weekend lately it was the busier than I had ever seen it due to the election. First time buyers have no idea the prices are way off.

The Bad: Gun prices are usually $100 higher than list or more and expect to pay more for ammo. The range has it's problems, bad air flow and lighting. Had a weapon pointed at me once by a noob. That side of town scares some people, but not me. I used to live there and it's not as bad as some people like to think.

The Good: I have had friendly service there. Emergency ammo when I am out and going to Eagle Creek pistol range. They have one bay for high powered rifles.

Other than that, I see no reason not to drop by and peruse.

Top Bottom