Please reply by conversation.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    SOLD!

For sale is a 1943 Lee Enfield in .303 British. I have never fired this one and I would like $275 firm for it. I have my eye on a couple of other items and some things need to go to make room.

Here are the honest details.

I believe it is your standard mixmaster with CAI import markings at the end of the barrel. I took it all the way apart and spent about 5 hours gently cleaning the metal. I was careful not to damage what finish was left, I mainly used CLP on a rag and I had to use 0000 steel wool in a couple spots to get off a bit of very light surface rust. Every piece of metal has been carefully cleaned and has no active rust anywhere on it. The bore is bright and I imagine this will be a fine shooter.

I left the wood alone, it has a history and there is no reason to sanitize this WW2 workhorse. There is pitting on the barrel under the wood line (similar to the trigger guard) but I think it is safe to shoot. The pitting appears to be slightly deeper than the stampings on the barrel, but less than your standard dovetail. The only pitted areas are the trigger guard and the small patch on the outside of the barrel as shown below in the pictures.

With that said I am NOT a gunsmith and all firearms should be checked by a gunsmith before being fired.

The original serial number is U8299 and it has a "B" above that, indicating it is a BSA. I observed the following markings on the rifle.

Stock-
    S.L.
    British crown over M/37
    W heel
    D heel
    M.B.13 on front band
    CEW on middle band
    N top left side of receiver

Receiver-
    Crown over ? on rear of receiver,
    "B"
    1942 or 1943 not sure