• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashtonjj100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    I was looking at a FN 300, b/c my brother in law has a FN 308. I love the gun but was wondering if there is a better 300 for the same price or cheaper ($1200)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was looking at a FN 300, b/c my brother in law has a FN 308. I love the gun but was wondering if there is a better 300 for the same price or cheaper ($1200)

There are about a hundred variables in this decision... And everyone will have a different opinion...

You've already got your ballpark price set down, which is good...

I presume that you're interested in a bolt action? There are several good makes/models out there in 308...The venerable Remington 700 and Savage (several models) are all GREAT rifles. The Remmy is also highly customizable...to the point where you can spend more than the cost of the rifle in upgrades alone.

Of course, there are dozens of offerings in semi-automatic as well... The "AR" platform in .308 is relatively popular and, as you probably know, the AR rifles are probably the most customizable rifles in the world.

Then there are the HK G3/CETME/FAL style rifles...

So, what's your purpose to be? Precision shooting? Hunting? Just fer fun?

(Oh, and don't forget to budget some money for good glass... you can easily surpass your rifle budget on a scope)

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are about a hundred variables in this decision... And everyone will have a different opinion...
    And that my friends is the understatement of the year :D

Heck in 30 caliber there are probably a half dozen to a dozen common rounds from the 7.62x39 up to the 300 Win Mag. No need to limit the guy to the 308/7.62 Nato.

But if you are going to limit him, then a Winchester Model 70 is tough to beat in the bolt guns, its certainly a classic by which all others are judged. Remington has budget to premium guns. Sako, Tikka, Blazer, Sauer, Savage, Dakota Arms and Kimber all come to mind as good bolt guns. Some of which can be had for $1200. In semi-autos, don't forget the M1A from Springfield Armory, probably the classic American battle rifle chambered in a 308/7.62.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    the best caliber that crosses ballistics with inexpensive ammo is the 30-06. a little better than the 308 in terms of power, same price of ammo. The FN rifles are good, as are the 700's, and savages, and weatherby, and so on......the list is forever. I have heard horror stories about the 300win mag, and other belted magnums. A heavy barrel is a must in these calibers, I wish I had one....lol

if you're dead set on a FN 308, the SPR is the rifle for you, if you're dead set on a 308 rem700, the 700 vtr is for you, otherwise, there's far too many fish in the sea to single out one

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you wanted to go "on the cheap", look for a bolt rifle chambered in 7.62x39... They're out there! Ammo is cheap!

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In my opinion, for every caliber, there's a "sweet spot". In .30 cal. the .308 or .30-06 are definite candidates for this honor with the edge going to the '06 (+1 Yamaha).

I'm an advocate of choosing the cartridge first, based on your needs, and then picking the launch platform.

Here's an article on the subject (from a hunting perspective):
    Optimum .30 Caliber Rifle Cartridge

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    +1 for the twins (.308, .30-06) short action/long action full power .30's - ammo is plentiful and recoil is low. For all around use - the twins cant be beat :ar15:

Top Bottom