• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    AR15's are nicknamed the "Evil Black Rifle". The majority of them, on this site anyway, are kept black. But a bunch of people of painted them Camo.
    Why is that? Was is it for the cool bad ass factor? Was it for the more tactical advantage out in the wild? Or was it simply because you had 2 AR's, and wanted one black, and one Cammo?

I've been researching a lot. And I really like the Camo colors. Just haven't made up my mind if I want to do it or not. Especially since I only have 1 AR. And will more than likely have just 1 AR for a good while.

To camo, or not to camo?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you are set on your current configuration, then go for it. If you ever think you may change it in the future, especially as new products become available, I wouldn't do it, because you'll have to camo each new piece that goes on. Also, as parts come off, their value is now diminished.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Now that you mention it, I don't see nearly as many camo AR's as I do camo AK's. Of course for what the price's are I would be more willing to mess up on my AK, than on my AR.;) As for one reason, Black really stands out in the natural enviroment, so the right camo can help a lot.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I vote for camo
    IMG_2115.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Have another painting project or two planned for spring/summer, and I plan to take pics and do a step-by-step tutorial for INGO, so we don't have to rely on Pat Rogers' stuff. ;)

Really? I can wait until then! I really didn't like Pat Rogers' finished product. A step by stepper would be great to follow. That or just pay you to do it for me! :):

choppers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    What kinda paint are you using & is it durable? I dont believe ive ever seen anything like that before. Well mabe just not that color scheme. I do like it. Good job!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    What kinda paint are you using & is it durable? I dont believe ive ever seen anything like that before. Well mabe just not that color scheme. I do like it. Good job!

I can't take credit for anything other than the colors. It was a build I did for my wife for Christmas and I got with Hoosier Gun Coat to lay down the duracoat. We spent a good 30-45 minutes discussing layout ideas. We agreed on the overall feel and I gave him artistic freedom within that. I figured it would be best to let the man do his thing, let the gun speak to him so-to-speak.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Or you could just paint your hand guard, pistol grip, stock, etc. Or just the components in the color of choice. It still would break things up. Instead of everything being black. I did the stock and hand guards on my AK. It looks a lot better I think.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom