Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

JB Weld for bedding a rifle action??

I know there are a number of glass bedding kits on the market. But, I was curious if JB Weld would do just as good of a job and if anyone has already done this or used some other compound other than a kit?

Ive read about a lot of people using it. So I tried it on a savage FP10 .223 almost 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with it yet.
    Just make sure you rough up the stock so it sticks to it and use a release agent so the receiver doesn't stick to the stock. I stripped mine completely down filled all the holes in the receiver with play-do, search the net for tips, I used information I found on www.savageshooters.com
    Hope this helps you out

Could you tell a differance with the JB weld bedding, Troy?

I guess it would work as long as you had good even pressure on the barrel.

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by red_zr24x4 View Post
    Ive read about a lot of people using it. So I tried it on a savage FP10 .223 almost 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with it yet.
    Thanks for the feed back and link. Just to clarify how often have you shot that rifle since bedding it? Did you see a step up on accuracy afterward?

Why not do it right the first time with the right product? I just finished four Rem 700P rifles using what I consider the best bedding compound, Devcon Steel Bedding Putty. I would use JBWeld to bed a small area like bedding the scope base, but not for larger areas like a stock.

Just a suggestion from my experience.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    Why not do it right the first time with the right product? I just finished four Rem 700P rifles using what I consider the best bedding compound, Devcon Steel Bedding Putty. I would use JBWeld to bed a small area like bedding the scope base, but not for larger areas like a stock.

Just a suggestion from my experience.
    I have heard Devcon putty as well. What is the difference between their Steel putty and Titanium putty (aside from price)?

Why would you only use the JBWeld for bedding small areas?

Thanks for the info!

Devcon Ti is tougher to work with as it is higher viscosity when mixed. It really offers no advantage over steel Devcon, Steelbed, etc.

JB Weld is higher viscosity than both of them, and would simply be tougher to work when bedding an action.
    Playing the preference points game...

Has anyone ever use body filler(bondo)?
    I believe in NO COMPROMISE GUN OWNERSHIP!!

Troy, I've put a couple of hundred rounds through it since I've done mine. No problems so far.

I'll second the Devcon. Nice long open time so there's no need to feel rushed. I buy it from Enco, its a little cheaper than Midway. They don't have a minimum order fee and they frequently have deals for free shipping. You will have to pay tax from them though.

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast