• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I know there are a number of glass bedding kits on the market. But, I was curious if JB Weld would do just as good of a job and if anyone has already done this or used some other compound other than a kit?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Ive read about a lot of people using it. So I tried it on a savage FP10 .223 almost 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with it yet.
    Just make sure you rough up the stock so it sticks to it and use a release agent so the receiver doesn't stick to the stock. I stripped mine completely down filled all the holes in the receiver with play-do, search the net for tips, I used information I found on www.savageshooters.com
    Hope this helps you out

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Could you tell a differance with the JB weld bedding, Troy?

I guess it would work as long as you had good even pressure on the barrel.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Why not do it right the first time with the right product? I just finished four Rem 700P rifles using what I consider the best bedding compound, Devcon Steel Bedding Putty. I would use JBWeld to bed a small area like bedding the scope base, but not for larger areas like a stock.

Just a suggestion from my experience.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    Why not do it right the first time with the right product? I just finished four Rem 700P rifles using what I consider the best bedding compound, Devcon Steel Bedding Putty. I would use JBWeld to bed a small area like bedding the scope base, but not for larger areas like a stock.

Just a suggestion from my experience.

I have heard Devcon putty as well. What is the difference between their Steel putty and Titanium putty (aside from price)?

Why would you only use the JBWeld for bedding small areas?

Thanks for the info!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Devcon Ti is tougher to work with as it is higher viscosity when mixed. It really offers no advantage over steel Devcon, Steelbed, etc.

JB Weld is higher viscosity than both of them, and would simply be tougher to work when bedding an action.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Devcon Ti is tougher to work with as it is higher viscosity when mixed. It really offers no advantage over steel Devcon, Steelbed, etc.

JB Weld is higher viscosity than both of them, and would simply be tougher to work when bedding an action.

+1

That would be my exact response to the OP's question.

Top Bottom