• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Well, I finally picked up a Mosin Nagant 91/30 from Indy Trading Post today. It is an all numbers matching, hex receiver, east German marked, great shape gun. I am really stoked to get down to atterbury and break er in. I also picked up a spam can for $80 at one of the ammo places. I have come to realize that I'm not a fan of opening those buggers. Here's a couple less than par pics.

f1bc1dc1.jpg

38864420.jpg

3cf82a8c.jpg

ae64756f.jpg

d7a621c9.jpg

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Sweet! I just picked one up a couple weeks ago as well. Mine's a 1926 Hex all #'s matching. Can't wait to shoot it. How much did you pay for her? Mine was $149. Did you get the ammo online or somewhere local?:ar15:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I have to ask, did you use the bayonet to open the spam can? :D

I just picked another 90/31 today. Its my project gun.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The gun was $120 out the door. The spam can came from one of the ammo booths at the 1500. Ammo was $80/440 spam can. And to open it, I used a little hacksaw, pliers, and tin snips.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    It's funny, here locally at Orion arms they have the hex receivers for $149-Tula Mfg, but the Izte%&$# what ever the name is, is $119, I thought the quality was supposed to be the same, why are Tula's worth more?....not complaining, my 91/30 is a Tula 1939...but why?

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Nice Pick up, Im about to start a Nagant fun project. Cut the barrel to 16 inchs, re-crown, duracoat coyote tan, red dot sight, padded butt pad and maybe a turned down bolt. Make my own "tacticool" nagant for kicks and giggles.

papasmurf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Indy
    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: They have spam cans at the 1500 this time around? Would be my luck that I cannot make it to this one or buy the can any way. Any Idea if the will be at the next one? Might go pick up a couple cans next time around.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nice mosin! Im still in the process of sniperizing my 91/30 out almost have it done. Great deal on the ammo, i wish we had a place round here to get them that cheap,lol

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    It's only "just another 91/30" to everyone else. To the owner it is MY 91/30! I've owned several and it is really fascinating how special one out of a gazillion guns can become once it becomes your own. Good job.

Last edited:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I got it all stripped down and the grease, oil or whatever all cleaned out of it. I'm going down to atterbury in the morning to run as many rounds as my body will let me through it. I also added the rubber recoil pad. I am so excited to get down there in the morning to shoot it. If you see someone shooting a 91/30 that looks like they don't have a clue, it's probably me. Say hello.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I got it all stripped down and the grease, oil or whatever all cleaned out of it. I'm going down to atterbury in the morning to run as many rounds as my body will let me through it. I also added the rubber recoil pad. I am so excited to get down there in the morning to shoot it. If you see someone shooting a 91/30 that looks like they don't have a clue, it's probably me. Say hello.

Good luck tomorrow, stay safe, and have fun! Mosins are a BLAST! I had mine out at South Central today!!! I'm still on a little high from the fun I had! :rockwoot:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I took the plunge myself! The ones at Indy Trading post were said to be unissued! And I've been Waiting to find a good Hex. Best here in Indy at a shop was $149 with no accessories. Gonna go to Wilbur Wright on Thursday, weather permitting to break her in!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I stopped by Gander Mountain and picked up a brush that will work for cleaning then headed down to Atterbury. As I walked in to check-in, there was a young man holding a 91/30 standing there with his mom. I asked him if he had just gotten the gun and if he had shot it before. He hadn't. He had shot shotguns before so the kick didn't bother him a bit. His mom was ringing off shots as well. We got seated next to each other so I let him try my gun as I had put a rubber recoil pad on it. I also tried his without the pad. The pad definitely would make a difference in the long run and I think is well worth the $15 I spent on it. I am also very glad a friend of mine explained to me the actual purpose and function of stripper clips this weekend. I am a fan of stripper clips although the 91/30 loads up quite nice one by one.

As far as the function of the gun, it was good. There were a few times that the first round didn't want to chamber and I either had to physically pull up the nose of the bullet or drop all 5 out and reload them. My bolt definitely felt stickier than Joey's gun but it was smooth when it didn't hang up if that makes sense. I'm going to look into the YouTube videos of disassembling the bolt and cleaning and polishing everything. The accuracy was off. It was shooting ~5" high and ~5" left at 50 yards. I understand that the shooting high is very common at short yardage like that because they are designed to be a longer range gun. As far as shooting left, I noticed that the front sight seems to be just a hair too far to the left in the mount. I am going to put that back to center and wait until I can shoot again.

I went through 70-75 rounds and absolutely love it. I WILL own at least one more to do some sort of budget sniper build with a synthetic stock and some sort of glass. All in all, this is my new favorite gun and I highly recommend one to anyone. They are a hoot to shoot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hope you didn't forget to clean that sucker right away!

The ammo you have has corrosive salt-forming primers in it.

The salts + atmospheric water = BAD juju...

-J-

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Picked up windex with ammonia on the way home and cleaned her right up. I even took the bolt all apart and cleaned all the cosmoline out of it. When I have more time, I'm going to break the bolt back down and do the polishing and greasing to help smooth it out a bit. On the way home I realized I forgot to mention to the guy I met about the corrosive ammo. I felt bad and hope that he already knew about it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Well, I broke the bolt all back apart and polished all the parts I could and greased them all up and reassembled it again all without the YouTube video as assistance. It does feel a little smoother but that could be in my head. I can't wait to get back to atterbury and try her out.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I stopped by Gander Mountain and picked up a brush that will work for cleaning then headed down to Atterbury. As I walked in to check-in, there was a young man holding a 91/30 standing there with his mom. I asked him if he had just gotten the gun and if he had shot it before. He hadn't. He had shot shotguns before so the kick didn't bother him a bit. His mom was ringing off shots as well. We got seated next to each other so I let him try my gun as I had put a rubber recoil pad on it. I also tried his without the pad. The pad definitely would make a difference in the long run and I think is well worth the $15 I spent on it. I am also very glad a friend of mine explained to me the actual purpose and function of stripper clips this weekend. I am a fan of stripper clips although the 91/30 loads up quite nice one by one.

As far as the function of the gun, it was good. There were a few times that the first round didn't want to chamber and I either had to physically pull up the nose of the bullet or drop all 5 out and reload them. My bolt definitely felt stickier than Joey's gun but it was smooth when it didn't hang up if that makes sense. I'm going to look into the YouTube videos of disassembling the bolt and cleaning and polishing everything. The accuracy was off. It was shooting ~5" high and ~5" left at 50 yards. I understand that the shooting high is very common at short yardage like that because they are designed to be a longer range gun. As far as shooting left, I noticed that the front sight seems to be just a hair too far to the left in the mount. I am going to put that back to center and wait until I can shoot again.

I went through 70-75 rounds and absolutely love it. I WILL own at least one more to do some sort of budget sniper build with a synthetic stock and some sort of glass. All in all, this is my new favorite gun and I highly recommend one to anyone. They are a hoot to shoot.

I agree, i have them on my mosin an the mauser, can shoot them all day long with it on there:yesway:

Top Bottom