Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AR-15 Front Sight Removal

Looking to reconfigure my AR-15, and need to remove my front sight base. I am having trouble driving the pins out, and wonder if you guys have any tips, other than buying a front sight bench block. I'm willing to purchase one, but $40 for a tool I don't foresee needing that much in the future is not an easy purchase for me. Thanks.

Liberal Hater 44 MAGNUM SHOOTER's Avatar
    I put the sight over a block of wood that had holes drilled out so the pins could fall through when I did mine. I also laid a thin sheet of rubber between the wood and sight so it didn't get scratch.

I should add that It is currently wearing a Larue free float handgaurd, and I don't see how my sight base is going to be able to fit into a block, being that I can't remove the rail prior to the sight.

BROWNELLS : AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Quote Originally Posted by 44 MAGNUM SHOOTER View Post
    I put the sight over a block of wood that had holes drilled out so the pins could fall through when I did mine. I also laid a thin sheet of rubber between the wood and sight so it didn't get scratch.
    That was the direction I was heading. Thanks for confirming what I had already figured.

Liberal Hater 44 MAGNUM SHOOTER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tradertator View Post
    I should add that It is currently wearing a Larue free float handgaurd, and I don't see how my sight base is going to be able to fit into a block, being that I can't remove the rail prior to the sight.

BROWNELLS : AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS
    Ahh, that is a problem. I had plastic handguards at the time and it was easy to do.

Certified Glock Nut
    First, get a bigger hammer.

Seriously though. If you feel like a bit of a drive, bring your upper up to the shop and Dave (shockabookoo) or I would be happy to take a whack at it.

Thanks shooter, I may end up doing that. I probably just need to clear the sand from my man-gina, and really let a rip on these pins.

The toughest pins I ever encountered were the one on my BCM upper. A real heavy hammer and being aware of the placement of your fingers go a long way.
    Need gear and accessories?
    Click---> Indiana Supply Depot

Originally Posted by samrothstein01 http://ingunowners.com/forums/images...s/viewpost.gif
    As much as I hate to admit it, I trust Cwood's expertise.
    Originally said by Jeff the waiter http://ingunowners.com/forums/images...s/viewpost.gif
    No one puts Baby in the corner!

If your barreled upper is milspec keep it mind they should be taper pins and drive out from left to right.

Quote Originally Posted by j706 View Post
    If your barreled upper is milspec keep it mind they should be taper pins and drive out from left to right.
    They are definitely tapered, and they are definitely in there. I've already been *****ed @ once by my wife for making to much noise . Man do I miss having a garage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast