• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm going to go dig through a big crate of barreled actions & SKS parts this weekend...Because, I am planning on doing a shortened, i.e. paratrooper style SKS build, in stock furniture with a cheesegrater hand guard (of course adhering to 922r compliance). It will be simple, cheap, (hopefully) good looking, truck gun; nothing special. No Tapco T6 or ATI stuff, just wood and steel. A real junk yard dog. :rockwoot:

Here's my idea so far... (warning: crappy Windows Paint rendering)
    SKSShortieProjectConcept.jpg

Last edited:

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    No Tapco T6 or ATI stuff, just wood and steel.
    Good, good. Those always look horrible anyway. :D

I always liked the looks of the paratrooper SKS.
    h819a.jpg

But if you want short you could always go real short and make it basically a repeating handgun
    BWc9P.jpg

This dude seems to have hit a happy medium.
    mazQQ.jpg

Me, I've always liked the SKS-M, here is mine:
    upNmN.jpg

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    You know, I'm not sure 100% sure... I would assume that the rule remains the same since I'll be building a rifle resembling one that falls under 922R... :dunno:

So, since I'm building it from a barreled action, I will have to use no more than 10 of the imported parts listed in conjunction with replacement of 3-6 eligible US made compliance parts... correct?

OR, does 922R not come into play? Is it a safe bet to try to adhere to it anyway?

922R info:

Assembling Semiauto Rifles and Shotguns
    If your rifle or shotgun is subject to 922R, you must now make sure that it is in compliance with the regulations governing the assembly of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns. That is covered in Title 27 Chapter 1 Section 178.39. Click here to see the text of the law. It states :
    (a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

Paragraph (C) defines the following parts as "countable" under the law:
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *
    (2) Barrels *
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions) *
    (5) Muzzle attachments *
    (6) Bolts *
    (7) Bolt carriers *
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons *
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers *
    (12) Hammers *
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors *
    (15) Buttstocks *
    (16) Pistol grips *
    (17) Forearms, handguards *
    (18) Magazine bodies *
    (19) Followers *
    (20) Floorplates *
    These 20 items are referred to with the term "compliance parts". There are lots of other components that go into a weapon, but there are the only ones that count in terms of complying with the law.

The 16 items marked with an asterisk are the parts that are generally found on a standard AK 47. The Saiga sporter rifle, as imported, does not have a muzzle device or pistol grip, so it has 14 countable parts. A Saiga shotgun has 13 countable parts (the trunnion is considered part of the receiver) - 14 if the barrel is threaded.

So once you have done something to take your rifle or shotgun out of a "sporting" configuration, you must now make sure that your weapon has no more than 10 of these parts that are imported.

Complying with 922R
    Now the trick is making your weapon compliant with the law. To do that, you will need to replace 3 to 6 of the existing parts with components made in the US.

Here are the parts that most owners use to achieve 922R compliance:
    - Trigger
    - Hammer
    - Disconnector
    - Buttstock
    - Pistol grip
    - Handguard (upper and lower handguards on an AK only count as 1 compliance part)
    - Gas piston
    - Magazine parts (Note: body, follower and floorplate each count as 1 compliance part).

So you can see that there are plenty of ways to achieve 922R compliance. Personally, I think relying on magazine parts to meet compliance is risky: if someone puts a foreign-made magazine in your weapon, you are now in violation of Federal law. Better to use the other parts for compliance and save the magazines as a "nice to have" compliance option.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Sounds like fun.

This is a Tula I bought off of here as a sporter and returned to military configuration, complete with a new dye and BLO finish on the wood. Had to round up a couple of parts for it, but nothing major. Shoots like a bat outta hell.
    IMG_7928.jpg

Makes a nice twin for the Chi-com:
    IMG_6495.jpg

This one had taken some water damage and needed a new oil finish on the wood. Needs some bluing work done at some point, too, but again... shoots like the dickens.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got me a beautiful Tula. Fortunately for me, everything was there #'s matching (with no forced match or rearsenal marks). I kind of want to find a beater to build into something sexy.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I started with a bubba, and made it a better bubba, I think. It was originaly a Yugo 59/66.

DSC08490.jpg

Tapco T-6 stock and magazine, Tapco Piston and Op Rod. L1A1 flash hider to replace stock grenade launcher. Cut down from sight block to get rid of the grenade launcher attachment. Reciever cover POSP style scope mount with 4x scope.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    SKS's are fun an cheap to shoot rifle any way they are configured, I have to go with the other guys on this, I waiting to here a build cost as well, lol

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    N_K_1984 pray tell the location of this big bucket of joy?

I'm very fortunate to have a brother in law who, one is an FFL holder, and two bought said "Bucket of Joy" a couple years back. He bought a crate of Yugo M59/66's, he has since sold the guns. However, the bonus that came with the crate was a pile of spare parts. I just gained rights to dig through said pile. Perks of him marrying my sister I guess ;)... Like I said, I'm fortunate.

SKS's are fun an cheap to shoot rifle any way they are configured

If I might quote my brother in law from yesterday, "There's nothing like a good AR, but damn if an SKS isn't fun to shoot."

This after he pulled his Norinco out of the safe and dusted it off to shoot it for the first time in years.

I have to go with the other guys on this, I waiting to here a build cost as well, lol
    I'll keep INGO's SKS fans posted on a build cost as soon as it starts.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    SKS's are fun an cheap to shoot rifle any way they are configured, I have to go with the other guys on this, I waiting to here a build cost as well, lol

Build Cost tally so far:

-M59/66 Barreled Receiver $65
    -Choate Recoil Compensator $27
    -Cheese Grater Hand Guard $10
    -John Masen 10rd Detachable Mag $20
    -M59/66 OE Hard Wood Stock $50
    -Murray's Yugo Gas valve, 922R compliance parts, & firing pin $150
    -Tapco Op Rod $8
    -Tapco Piston $25
    -Satisfaction of building exactly what I want: Priceless

Now, I wait on everything to get here and then get to work. More to come.

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Hmm....any more barreled actions available for projects?

I just sent a text to the Bro-in-Law. Stay tuned.

Received my John Masen 10rd Mag yesterday. The machining/welding is "almost done" on my barrel and FSB, and hopefully will be done soon. Fingers are crossed. More progress to come.

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Hmm....any more barreled actions available for projects?

I would like to sort through this Bucket o' Parts too! How fun would that be. The SKS is perfect for a reassemble. And Cheap? I am curious to the re-build cost.

I wouldnt mind finding a milled trigger group to replace my stamped one on a paratrooper I have.

So I have actually inspired my Bro in Law to get up and work on these rifles. He plans to build up what barreled actions he can. HOWEVER, what left over parts he has (be they barreled actions, misc parts, trigger assy's, whatever) he does plan on selling. I can't give you any idea on how long it will be as he will work at his own pace. If I hear anything I will post up some info, prices, and most likely contact info. He does the VAST majority of his sales on GunBroker. I'm hoping that with the interest I told him about from INGO members, maybe he will do some local deals. If all else I'll buy his leftovers and pass the savings on to someone else...

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    970278cc.jpg

Barreled action is ready. Have my original Yugo stock, magazine inletting is done, just want to refinish the stock and be done with it. Nothing, IMO, fits an SKS like the original wood stock. Period.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom