Whats Legal for hunting deer in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Im sure i could look this up somewhere, but i thought i'd go the easy route. What kind of rifle is legal to hunt deer with in Indiana?
    I have an AK...is that legal? If not, where is it legal to hunt with this type of gun?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    AK is not legal because of the cartridge it fires. Hunting deer with a 7.62x39mm is legal in many states that allow rifle hunting with centerfire rifles.

In Indiana the rifle cartridge must be at least 1.16" in length with a maximum length of 1.625" firing a bullet of at least 0.357" in diameter.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    it's EXTREMELY easy to google "Indiana deer hunting regulations"...

And the 7.62x39 round isn't legal for deer out of a rifle. Squirrel, yes. Deer, no.

But out of a handgun with a 4.00"+ barrel, it IS legal.

Just go find the regs. Bookmark that page in your browser. Simple!

-J-

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Im sure i could look this up somewhere, but i thought i'd go the easy route. What kind of rifle is legal to hunt deer with in Indiana?
    I have an AK...is that legal? If not, where is it legal to hunt with this type of gun?

Seriously? Image this scene: In handcuffs and being led to the DNR SUV ... "but .. but .. but .. the guys on INGO said this was LEGAL." :D

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    it's EXTREMELY easy to google "Indiana deer hunting regulations"...

And the 7.62x39 round isn't legal for deer out of a rifle. Squirrel, yes. Deer, no.

But out of a handgun with a 4.00"+ barrel, it IS legal.

Just go find the regs. Bookmark that page in your browser. Simple!

-J-

This. Regular AK sadly no, using a Draco AK pistol style yes. Why I will never understand, wish I could take my M1 deer hunting! :):

Here ya go: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Pistol caliber rifles ( PCR's) have been legal for deer in Indiana for the last 2 years at least. I can't remember the first year they were legal, someone else can chime in on that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No rifles period for deer last i checked.

You are wrong.

We are also not limited to only 'pistol caliber rifles' either. INDR specifically mentions the 458 SOCOM rifle round as a legal rifle cartridge for deer hunting.

Indiana has very restrictive criteria for rifle use but regular hunters can use many wildcat and a few factory rifle rounds. They must be at least .357 caliber and the cartridge is limited in length to 1.62"

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oddly enough the rules have changed and some of the calibers listed below dont seem to make sense to me listed as pistol cartridges. With the new law, why would anyone want to hunt with a shotgun when you can shoot a rifle with one of the following cartridges.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Those rules have been in place for at least a couple seasons, it appears the state is poised to increase the cartridge length limit, but that may not take effect until the 2012 season if it goes into affect. My personal deer rifle is an AR 15 chambered in 458 SOCOM.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Those rules have been in place for at least a couple seasons, it appears the state is poised to increase the cartridge length limit, but that may not take effect until the 2012 season if it goes into affect. My personal deer rifle is an AR 15 chambered in 458 SOCOM.

It would be nice if we could use the larger rifle calibers. I have a k98, Mosin, and M1 I would love to use. I will use them in TN hunt this fall. :rockwoot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I was thinking my .458 SOCOM would be fun for bullfrogs...... I sure would hate to think of the coin I've spent putting it together if I could only squirrel hunt with it.:D

Top Bottom