• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I'm kicking around the idea of a little, long, fast and flat rifle. I'm kind of leaning toward a 22-250. Also in the running is a 243, 25-06, and a few others. I'm not married to any specific caliber or brand. I'm not a big fan of Remington. I've shot a few and wasn't thrilled. I do like the oddball calibers but I'm not willing to spend the cash for those offerings. I will be using this as mostly a plinker, but I will probobly eventually use it for prarie dogs and other varmints. Budget for complete package will be under $600.Preferably lower. Thanks for your input.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have a 22/250 Savage BVSS and it is a tack driver using Bitterroot Valley ammo. I lucked into the rifle for cheap and even without the accu-trigger it does very well. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Savages in any caliber.

I am looking forward to the release of two rifles right now...the Savage lightweight varminter in 5.7X28 and the Mossberg MVP in .223.

25lvt.png

mossmvp.png

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have been considering the Savage in the "combo package". I'm also interested in Thompson Center's bolt guns. I haven't used one, but I love my TC Omega. If their bolt guns are as good as their muzzleloaders....Anyone have any knowlege about TC's Venture?

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    You can't go wrong with the Savage-very accurate and has the accu-trigger that is adjustable.I have 2 of them and shoot prairie dogs-both shoot 1/2" MOA at 100 yds.One is a .17HMR and the other is a .223.They are as accurate as can be right out of the box and are very reasonably priced.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    My new horse is on the way. I went with the Thompson Center Venture in 243. I like the 60 degree bolt instead of the 90 degree bolt. It has more clearance between the bolt and scope. Mark has it on order for me and should be in Monday. I'll get in and get it as soon as I can. Range report will follow ASAP. Thanks again Mark! Bradis: You guys rock!:rockwoot:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    How about a 204 Ruger? 4000fps

Based on wiki articles...

.22-250 Remintgon propels a heavier grained bullets at the same or faster speeds as .204 Ruger delivering more energy to the target, which is more ideal for taking small game.

When you compare the two calibers at speed, the .22-250 is around 25% more bullet mass, which translates typically into 20%-30% more energy.

That being said though - the .204's smaler mass might mean a slightly flatter shot, but with the light weight of both rounds I doubt the rounds' effective range is far enough for that difference in drop to matter.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I picked up my new Thompson Center Venture in 243 yesterday from Bradis. As always, Mark was a big help. I picked up a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 at the 1500 yesterday afternoon. I was thinking about trying it out this afternoon, but I think a nap is going to win out. Maybe one day this week I'll get out to the range. Range report will follow.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    have you considered a .270? shoots flat and a little more power than you mentioned. i lived 10 years in montana and lots of folks used that caliber, and on the prairie its all long distance

good luck with you choice

jake

Top Bottom