Is it possible to put a muzzle break on a Norinco MAK-90?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I love my AK, but I would love to put a muzzle break on it. I was just curious if anyone on this site knew how to do it or thought it might be possible. If it is going to be a PITA, then I will probably live with it as is.

Thanks,
    Larry

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Yes, it can be done, but it depends what configuration your rifle barrel is in now....

You need to measure the barrel at the muzzle end, it needs to be .550" to thread with the standard 14x1 LH for a slant break, if it originaly had threads that were turned down to make it a ban era rifle then you may only be able to thread 1/2" x 28 for the barrel nut.

Its easiest to remove the front sight block to thread the barrel with the die.

HTH,

indykid

Grandmaster
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The barrel can be threaded fairly easily, and there is a company making AKM style slant brakes in the 1/2x28 US thread so your rifle can look authentic if that is what you want.

As Lock n Load said, .550 diameter muzzle will get you the standard AK/AKM 14x1mm left hand thread. The turned down muzzle of approx .500 will allow the US thread. Either will allow you to install virtually any type of muzzle device.

Oh, is the front sight drilled for the muzzle device locking pin? If so no problem. If it is not, it is possible to drill it and install the plunger pin and spring setup.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you can buy a thread alignment tool and die and thread it to 1/2x28 or if its big enough M14x1.

OR you could take into consideration that china didn't put muzzle brakes on their military AKs and leave it as is. ;)

Top Bottom