• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So let's say you want to make a steel buttplate. Not too heavy, just enough to be able to do a proper butt stroke with if you needed to. Weight is not desired, but function is absolute.

How would you go about doing it?

Aluminum is workable and light, and it does not have to be beautiful at all. Maybe that would work.

Or maybe some not too thick sheet metal?

Thoughts.

Need to do this with average guy garage tools here. No fancy stuff - mostly hand tools.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    ive done a lot of metal shaping from simple body work to making my own harley gas tanks its a lot of fun to work with and not alot of people dare to try it. Do you have a idea what you want your metal buttstock to look like.. Id say away from aluminum it may be soft but its hard to work with because it cant be bent or stressed like steel... id stay with steel but thickness will depend on the shape... if want a crown you will need more thickness than if you where to just flat bend something.... If you have a picture of something you want to copy or just a drawling id be able to help out a lot more.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    What kind of rifle? If it's fairly flat, then it's pretty easy. Get some 1/*" steel plate at Menard's, trace around it and cut/gring until it fits. If it's got a big curve in it, maybe you could find a rifle with a similar shape and order a replacement buttplate and tweak it to fit. I work construction and everytime i can, I get my hands on scrap steel. Iv'e got a stick and wire welder and plenty of files and grinders, so I make about anything I can. I've got some steel that's about an inch and a half thick; think that'd put a divot in someone's noggin?

Doug K

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What kind of rifle? If it's fairly flat, then it's pretty easy. Get some 1/*" steel plate at Menard's, trace around it and cut/gring until it fits.

Cricket, so it is pretty flat on the backside of the stock. How small does the steel plate come in?

Gonna have to get some this weekend...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You can get some fairly small pieces, but it'll still be bigger than what you need. Buying metal at Menard's like this is relatively expensive, but if you just need a little bit. If you were closer, I'd see what I've got in teh garage and barn. Do I want to know who you are planning to buttstroke with a Crickett?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You can get some fairly small pieces, but it'll still be bigger than what you need. Buying metal at Menard's like this is relatively expensive, but if you just need a little bit. If you were closer, I'd see what I've got in teh garage and barn. Do I want to know who you are planning to buttstroke with a Crickett?

I will go and see what they have. The plate is just to help complete the rifle in it's most evil form. I, mean, just imagine this scene:

A calm, cool morning.
    Father and son enjoying the range.
    The doomed watermelon is rested gently up and onto the berm.
    A couple of nods, father to son, son to father, both knowing the end for the melon is near.
    Then....

From the left....

Moving fast and with the cry of her Valkyrie forebearers, the 7 year old comes screaming a death cry and crosses the distance with the determined war face that only a public school kid can master, with her pink cricket rifle shot empty but raised over head for the kill and....

BLAM!

Buttstroke for the kill...

It is so beautiful that it has to happen. Seriously.

So, Menards, eh?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    weeeellll shucks!

I will go and see what they have. The plate is just to help complete the rifle in it's most evil form. I, mean, just imagine this scene:

A calm, cool morning.
    A couple of nods, father to son, son to father, both knowing the end for the melon is near.
    Then....

From the left....

Moving fast and with the cry of her Valkyrie forebearers, the 7 year old comes screaming a death cry and crosses the distance with the determined war face that only a public school kid can master, with her pink cricket rifle shot empty but raised over head for the kill and....

BLAM!

So, Menards, eh?
    You cheap bastige! Buy the kid her own melon and quit trying to find a reason to booger up her rifle.:):

wait a minute. . . . is she butt stroking you or the melon?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You'll save money by grabbing some from me. I've got plenty and have a plasma cutter.
    Cost? Your gas.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    91/30 stocks are diminutive and the buttplate is steel and hard.

It's one of those things that I hate to love.

Maybe a gunshow or someone that sporterized theirs would donate it to the cause.

These mellons need to be stopped at all costs.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is going to be the funkiest looking Cricket rifle ever....we demand pics when it's done.

It's well on the way with the current setup (you can see the side saddle speed loader, but the entry light on the other side is not visible in the picture):

5902901089_1bf92d529e_z.jpg

Still in the plans:

Metal Butplate
    Threaded Barrel
    Bayonet Lug (for either a mosin like swing out spike or a large titanium spork)

:ingo:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    How thick do you want it to be? I have access to some scrap steel, aluminum, and brass. I'm here in B'town. Get me some dimensions and I'll see what I can find.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

A calm, cool morning.
    Then....

From the left....

BLAM!

So, Menards, eh?

This could be a training video for kids all over the world, it must be done. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom