• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    Been looking around for a decent bolt action "high power/caliber" rifle to do some longer range target shooting (that, and I really want to just destroy something...). What would be a good caliber to be looking at - 30-06, .308, ???

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    How far is long range? .308 is common. If you want to stretch your legs alittle 6mm is liked in the bechrest community.

.50 BMG will reach out there pretty good and pretty much ruin anything you can hit.

My thinking is something in .338. You get pretty damn good accuracy and its big enough to do some damage without hurting the pocketbook too bad.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    308 and 30-06 are both fine calibers and readily available. If you reload, there are several other calibers that can come into the mix. There are several different manufacturers of rifles that will suit your needs. Its all about how much you want to spend.

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    hard to beat the 30/06. it hasn't been around for over a 100 years for nothing. lots of loads, info and projectiles. prices is also a factor, you can still get surplus ammo and it has almost universal availability.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if you reload my answer depends on what you call long range.

if you do not relaod my choice would be 308, because the avaibility of great factory ammo. the 308 has long (and correctly imo) described as the best at nothing but good at everything

bschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What do you want to shoot? It is pretty hard to beat even a small "high powered" rifle in .223 or .22-250 if you want to reach out and touch something without getting pounded with recoil. If you are want to hunt big game the sky's the limit depending upon what and where you want to hunt. A .300 Remington Ultra Mag will definately destroy some stuff, but I wouldn't choose it as a play around gun to pop targets for fun. Something in the .308 case size class, from a .243 through a .308 is pretty hard to beat as an all around gun.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Another vote for 30-06! It's been doing its job for longer than we have been alive! 8mm Mauser is another great high power round/rifle, I don't see a lot of ammo floating around for them anymore really. And then the Mosin of course, quite a deal for cheap high power fun! And all three will hit where you shoot at 500 yards.

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Well, I think you have all the info you need to make a purchase of a rifle!
    How long is Long range shooting? How well do you want to shoot at long range? Have you thought about how you are going to see long range? Depending on what you consider long range will make a big difference on how much you spend on glass! To be able to hit your target you will need to be able to see it. A good glass is as important as the rifle, you can have the best rifle in the world and if you have a $50.00 scope most likely you wont be shooting very far!
    Lay out your budget if you have one, if you don't then Call Barrett and tell them what you want to do and they will fix you up! If you are poor like the most of us, you might go less fancy on a rifle ( I didn't say less quiality) there are some Super good Rifles out there that don't cost a arm and a leg, the more you save on the rifle the more you have to spend on a scope.
    Just wanted to ad my 2 cents!
    greg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .416 Barrett.

It all depends on what you mean by "long range" and "high power".

If you just want to punch paper, ring the gong, and shoot at 1,000 yards or less, I recommend a 6.5 (.264") or 7mm (.284") cartridge. At 500 yards or less you could do with something in 5.56mm (224") or 6mm (.243").

The 6-6.5mm cartridges pound your shoulder a lot less than the 30 calibers.

Do you want to use the rifle for hunting? Hunting what? Where?

Do you hand load?

Top Bottom