• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a new COLT HBar and it was fine. The problem with a COLT is that the trigger pins are a diiferent size, and they have a hardened block in the receiver that gets in the way of installing a good two stage trigger. The COLT is also not a full floating handgaurd, taking after it's battle rifle roots rather than target accuracy. I bought a Bushmaster DCM that IS a full floated hand guard and has normal size trigger pins and no additional block in the receiver. It came with a two stage trigger, but is is clearly not as good as some of the aftermarket two stage triggers. My buddy bought the upper end Armalite, it is a good performer, also with the standard receiver/pins. I think if you stick with any brand name and don't buy a bottom of the barrel cheapie, you will have a pretty good rifle.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Any good brand will be good. It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you plan to do with it. Plinking? Zombies? Competition? You get what you pay for and the mo' betta' you want it to be, the mo' money you have to dish out.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    i am looking to buy an ar 15, anyone have any suggestions on which brand i should choose? I would prefer a colt, but would appreciate any input...... thanks

Hi Brent, welcome to the INGO forums.

Now remember that these are opinions, so they are going to vary from individual to individual but here is mine.

There are really only three AR manufacturers that I would say to completely avoid buying any products from, those are any AR made by Hesse, Vulcan & Blackthorne as they are complete junk.

The rest of the AR manufacturers range anywhere from "average" to "good" to "great".

As to which brand/manufacturer & to which type of AR configuration I'd recommend would highly depend on A.) your allotted budget for the rifle & B.) the intended purpose(s) of the rifle.

So if you could fill in the both of the A.) & B.) blanks, we could probably give you better advice as to which rifle would be best suited for your needs.

brent george

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    decatur county
    i would like to stay around 1000-1200, and i wouldnt be shooting in competitions or anything like that, so pretty much just to enjoy and fire off a few rounds everynow and again......

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Colt or Daniel Defense would fit your ticket Brent.

The other brands, are trying to make the same gun, cheaper, by cutting corners for the retail market.

If you have 1.2K, spend it on a good gun, get a Colt or a DD.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    i would like to stay around 1000-1200, and i wouldnt be shooting in competitions or anything like that, so pretty much just to enjoy and fire off a few rounds everynow and again......

Does your total budget also include things like magazines, optics, ammunition & accessories? or is that 1000-1200 for the rifle only?

I'd say if its for the rifle only & you had addition funds for ammunition. magazines, optics & accessories, then Colt or DD would also be my choice.

If the allotted budget had to include magazines, optics, ammunition & accessories I'd probably look at RRA, S&W or Spikes.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    ive got 2 S&W M&P 15s, a spikes/DPMS, Olympic, and a Colt. Ive never had any trouble with any of them. good luck on your journey, youll end up with a couple of them anyways.:ar15:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you live here in central Indiana, Bradis had 2 very nice used full size AR for $999.00. One was a Bushmanster Can't remember the other brand but it was a major mfgr. Both were Flatops with detachable carry handles. Ther was an Olympic carbine also, but can't remeber the price. I was just in and out getting some Ammo for my Mosin, but I always window shop in the long gun room.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    i am looking to buy an ar 15, anyone have any suggestions on which brand i should choose? I would prefer a colt, but would appreciate any input...... thanks

If you would prefer a Colt, get a Colt. If not you will always want one. Better to get it from the start.

I always wanted one, but never did go out and buy one. It just kept nagging at me. I've bought quite a few other brands, built all but one of my ARs, have 6 Colt uppers, but still didn't have a lower with the Prancing Colt Stallion.

Well after many years I finally bought a Colt 6940 lower that some guy was selling because some of the roll marks weren't "pretty". :): His loss, my gain.

I now have a "complete" Colt in my collection. Next to my AR15ChatterBox build, it is my favorite.

P1150274.jpg

You want a Colt.......get a Colt. It is what all the rest are compared to.:rockwoot:

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Most people consider BravoCompanyUSA (BCM), Colt, Daniel Defense, and LMT to bet the 4 "top tier" AR manufacturers. You can find a one of these in your price range if you look around. PM me if you need some help.

If you're just looking for a plinker Rock River, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc will serve that purpose just fine and you can find a rifle for under 1K by looking around. That would leave you some $$ for ammo.

Travis45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Albany
    I recently purchased a new Bushmaster XM15 E2S flat top with flip up sights for $900 and have been happy with it. I just ordered some Magpul MOE parts to install. I like my Bushmaster but all the names mentioned above are worth looking into except for the ones that were listed to avoid. Just got to find the one you are comfortable with buying.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    never heard of Daniel defense, are they suppose to be right up there with colt??

better

The Colt is the standard bearer for the GREAT AR, no one can contest that but DD upped the ante. If we're talking out of the box, DD.

Honestly though, it's like saying pepsi or coke, chevy or ford, zombies or vampires

Last edited:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Most people consider BravoCompanyUSA (BCM), Colt, Daniel Defense, and LMT to bet the 4 "top tier" AR manufacturers. You can find a one of these in your price range if you look around. PM me if you need some help.

If you're just looking for a plinker Rock River, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc will serve that purpose just fine and you can find a rifle for under 1K by looking around. That would leave you some $$ for ammo.

The one thing helpful in the above is that you can save money for ammo by getting one of the "plinkers". I have thousands of rounds - in classes, on duty, and yes, plinking in my RRA's. All have been accurate and reliable. I love the DD and LMT but do not feel that you have an inferior rifle in a RRA. You can and will still have failures in the "top tier" rifles. It just depends on who you ask.

Go to other forums with people who "know" and you will find they love their Colt's, BCM, DD, etc, - but have great respect and own the plinkers too.

"Gun Experts" and other websites foster snobbery towards the name brands and having to have a top tier piston rifle. I learned with a guy who had a dpms lower, A2 stock and and A2 colt HBAR upper (w/plastic hanguards). I would put him up against over half with INGO in a contest.

I love my RRA's but I stop short of necessarily steering towards one or the other - it is your choice. Just do not get caught up in the "gotta have a better rifle than the next guy". If you are new to AR's, get the cheapest reliable rifle and spend the rest on ammo and lessons. Whatever you get - shoot, shoot, shoot. If you are not good with a cheap rifle - you will not be any better with a more expensive one - just more broke.

ETA: Sorry Kut14, I did not read your post about not being allowed to contest the Great Pumpkin before writing mine post. :D Seriously, Colts are awesome but by no means are they the be all end all AR.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    If u want the colt go check out a LE6920 lots of places ive seen have em on sale cuz colt is getting rid of it and the LE6940, u can find the 6920 which has a flat top reciever with a carry handle on it and plastic forearm, pretty standard, quality AR for around 1k-1.1k for the time being, good starter, and u can always swap parts down the road, it's like a Lego kit, u get it, put it together and don't like it later u can tear it apart and make it into somethin else

Top Bottom