• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey guys! Been awhile since I've posted and I miss it!! But I currently own a m&p .22 and also a 10/22. The m&p is stock, the ruger has a green mtn heavy barrel and hogue stock. I'm looking for scopes for both. I mainly do squirrel hunting, and some long distance shooting would be pretty cool!
    First tho I want to get a scope for my m&p. Something 3-9 would be good I think but also since it's for a AR type I want the shorter scope look. I've never hunted with a red dot so I'm not sure how I'll like it. Any ideas?
    The 10/22 I was just thinking a nikon pro-staff. 3-9x40. But I've also heard for the money the BSA .22 is pretty good. Does it have any special features to maybe make it more accurate in long range?
    Any tips, ideas, experience, or pics would be helpful and appreciated!!
    Thanks ingo :D

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my 10/22 and love it.
    I had a 4x32 on it, same brand. But one day saw the 3-9 in the ammo case at Walmart on clearance for like $90 so I snapped it up.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey guys! Been awhile since I've posted and I miss it!! But I currently own a m&p .22 and also a 10/22. The m&p is stock, the ruger has a green mtn heavy barrel and hogue stock. I'm looking for scopes for both. I mainly do squirrel hunting, and some long distance shooting would be pretty cool!
    First tho I want to get a scope for my m&p. Something 3-9 would be good I think but also since it's for a AR type I want the shorter scope look. I've never hunted with a red dot so I'm not sure how I'll like it. Any ideas?
    The 10/22 I was just thinking a nikon pro-staff. 3-9x40. But I've also heard for the money the BSA .22 is pretty good. Does it have any special features to maybe make it more accurate in long range?
    Any tips, ideas, experience, or pics would be helpful and appreciated!!
    Thanks ingo :D

The BSA Sweet 22 scope is probably the best scope I've ever had the pleasure of using for the .22LR. Especially for the price you can get it at on Sportsmans Guide.

It comes with different turrets so you can adjust the correct bullet weight correctly. Once you get it sighted in at 50 yards, you just click the turret up to whatever yardage you are at and it automatically puts you in the correct elevation for that type of round.

Although it's not as clear as a Nikon, it's clear enough to where you'd be shooting a .22 accurately enough with much wind. You have to remember that a .22LR is only effective to 150 yards... so I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and what you really want, but I highly recommend the sweet 22 scope for any and all .22 caliber rifles!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have had mostly good luck with NIKON stuff. I can't say that about BSA. I had a couple that wouldn't hold zero, cloudy, etc... My votes for the NIKON.

Another you should check out is the Pentax Gameseeker. Great glass for the money.

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll look more into the BSA .22. My whole concern was wondering if the nikon was a bit over kill for a .22? But thanks Dave and trader, I'll have to do some thinking now lol. Ck 150 yards would be really sweet! I've taken around a 90yard shot and got the kill. And I've heard of some people shooting pretty comfortable at 100yards, given the right elements. I would absolutely love that!!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Not trying to be a scope snob but several people have shown up at the club with BSA's on thier guns and they have not lasted 1/2 a season when I tried to help them the BSA's tracked all over the place when you went to adjust them. I own a couple Nikon's and they are good scopes for the money I have a 10/22 set up with a Burris 3x9 with a green mountian 22inch sporting taper and the 3x9 is great for a 10/22

My 2 cents is stay with good optics, You won't find yourself replacing them later and eye strain will be greatly reduced.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The scope to have for the last few years, at least from the 10/22 crowd, has been the Mueller APV. it's been very very well regarded.

-J-

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Well I just bought the nikon 3-9 for my 10/22. I've got a lead sled and I plan on siting it in sometime Friday! I've owned a bunch of guns and most already had some cheap scope mounted. With a green mtn bull barrel and bench shooting whatre my chances of keeping a good group at 100 yards pretty frequent? I appreciate all the answers!

Also still looking for something to put on my m&p. I plan on doing ALOT of squirrel hunting with it and wanting a good scope. But do I lose accuracy with the m&p because it's ar platform?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    SIGHT YOUR SOURCE! then do an INGO search for the lethality of a .22lr it went through two layers of denim and a turkey at 300 yards. i would call that kind of penetration "effective" within the typical uses of .22lr

.22 Long Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd actually love to see a .22lr go 300 yards effectively. Though I cannot measure speed of the bullet or anything else due to not having the equipment, I've had .22LR rounds get out of range at 200 yards. The load and bullet are so light in a .22LR that the wind will effect the bullet too much at 300 yards. I can tell you this from experience.

Can you get a .22LR to travel 300 yards? Absolutely. However you're going to be shooting above the target more than what you would need because the bullet is going to be tumbling before it ever hits the target, thus causing it to fall rapidly and be pushed more by the wind.

Now if you had an indoor range to shoot in at 300 yards that would be a different story and perhaps the only way I could see it going through a turkey at 300 yards, especially since I just shot a flat panel television from 30 feet and the bullet wouldn't penetrate through it.

As you said, site your source. I'd love to see the video of them shooting the denim and turkey from 300 yards with a normal .22LR round.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    SIGHT YOUR SOURCE! then do an INGO search for the lethality of a .22lr it went through two layers of denim and a turkey at 300 yards. i would call that kind of penetration "effective" within the typical uses of .22lr

WHAT?!? Why was the turkey wearing jeans?? :wow:

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Is shootin a turkey with a .22 illegal? Lol. But shooting squirrel even at 200 yards would be amazing! Where do I get the gear to do that?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    FYI, the CITE on the source is IndyGunworks. He did the testing several months ago.

Actually I think he was referring to This Post which I found after doing a search. In which it was another person who posted the test that he FOUND somewhere else...

No pictures up anymore and I can't find anything else about a .22LR going past 200 yards, yet alone penetrating a turkey at 300 yards.

I did find THIS very interesting since it's got a ballistics chart for the exact same ammo used in the "turkey test". It's saying that with Wolf Match, the bullet will drop 97.2 inches at 250 yards. So at 300 yards, into the wind... I figure you'd have to aim about 13-14 feet above the target...

Sorry, I just don't believe this guy shot a small turkey with a .22LR in those conditions at that range and was able to penetrate as deep as he said he did. :dunno: If my opinion gets someone's panties in a bunch I apologize, but until I see it in person at a measured distance I won't believe it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

As for the OP, congrats on getting the glass for your 10/22. Let us know how you like it. :D

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks ckcollins. I'm going to get rings for it probably tonight. I went squirrel Hunting last evening and only saw a few coons. I'm excited to get out and see if I can get a limit of squirrel :)

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Thanks ckcollins. I'm going to get rings for it probably tonight. I went squirrel Hunting last evening and only saw a few coons. I'm excited to get out and see if I can get a limit of squirrel :)

Weigand Integramount Scope Base with Integral 1" Rings Ruger 10/22 Matte - MidwayUSA
    I don't have them, but I've read nothing but good about these. 1 less attachment point to go loose and throw your aim off. Likely sits a little lower. I plan on doing a 10/22 build in the near future and these are what I'm planning on using.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a couple of counter points.

Wind, is not a valid argument for the lethality of the round. usefulness at that distance maybe but lethality not at all. and if you train enough any wind conditions can be correctly countered for.

also see this chart, the bullet at 250 yards is still traveling over 700 FPS which is more than enough to kill small game.

22tacballisticsx600a.png

i would call it lethal well under this speed.

are we talking the "lethality" at 300 or the "ease of use" at 300?

if you train enough you can and will be able to make reliable first round hits at 300 and the bullet will have enough speed to kill most game that its typically used on.

also, with the ammo listed (wolf match) it starts subsonic therefore the probability of it tumbling is low because most bullets begin to tumble when they transition to subsonic. w/ no transition there is less chance of tumbling.

why dont you come shoot .22's at 300 yards w/ me sometime and i think you will see how effective it can be at that distance.

Top Bottom