• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are Interstate Arms 12 GA Defenders GTG?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Anyone have any actual experience with these? I am in need of an HD shotgun, and these look like they would fit the bill nicely, without costing a ton of scratch.

Interstate Arms Black Synthetic 12 Ga Defender w/18.5" Barre $205.00 SHIPS FREE

I poked around for a bit and didn't see a post where anyone had actually commented on fit, finish, reliability, etc....

So, what say you sages of INGO? Buy a cheapy, or save up for something bigger, better, faster?

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Funny you mentioned these...I was wondering about them myself. Everything I have read on the net has been largely positive. It also seems that just about everything about them (parts) are interchangeable with the Remmy 870. The only thing that seems to get bad remarks is about them being from China. I am not saying that I would definitely get one or not but I would like to handle one in person. Hey, pretty much you are looking at $225 otd with the transfer fee. About the only new shotty you are going to get for that is a Maverick 88 with no goodies on it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for buying American but I would have a hard time passing one of the Norincos. I have read where many have bought the China 1911's and built awesome competition guns on their frames.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Funny you mentioned these...I was wondering about them myself. Everything I have read on the net has been largely positive. It also seems that just about everything about them (parts) are interchangeable with the Remmy 870. The only thing that seems to get bad remarks is about them being from China. I am not saying that I would definitely get one or not but I would like to handle one in person. Hey, pretty much you are looking at $225 otd with the transfer fee. About the only new shotty you are going to get for that is a Maverick 88 with no goodies on it. Don't get me wrong, I am all for buying American but I would have a hard time passing one of the Norincos. I have read where many have bought the China 1911's and built awesome competition guns on their frames.

That's what I keep reading as well. I mean I'd prefer to buy American, but damn, for something like the IA Defender I'm looking at close to $400 for an American Shotty!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The Chinese can't even make a straight drill bit.

Usually on all chicom shotguns they are in fact not interchangeable with the major parts, especially the barrels. For starters read 5+1. 870's are 4+1. OK, so all OEM and aftermarket barrels are a no go on this gun.

I am sure the sights are anything but LPA quality.

Buy once, cry once but most shotguns have never even had 50 rounds put through them, buy used if you need to keep cost down. More bells and whistles like ghost sights do not mean quality, just marketing gimmics.

I prefer to never use ghost sights, even on Benelli's.

I would even say buy a 60's era Montgomery Ward gun over the chicom crap

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

http://www.gunsamerica.com/98356026...D_M500A_12_GAUGE_PUMP_SHOTGUN_C_LECT_CHOK.htm

Last edited:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I got a NEF Pardner Pump and have put several Remington accessories on. I have shot over 200 Winchester SuperX 3" magnum shells and am starting to have some wear issues. It is not a Rem 870 and I will buy an 870 next, but for someone who will hardly shoot their shotgun it has been a great gun.
    2011-06-18165226.jpg

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I got a NEF Pardner Pump and have put several Remington accessories on. I have shot over 200 Winchester SuperX 3" magnum shells and am starting to have some wear issues. It is not a Rem 870 and I will buy an 870 next, but for someone who will hardly shoot their shotgun it has been a great gun.
    2011-06-18165226.jpg
    What kind of wear are you having?

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Wear where

What kind of wear are you having?

The most significant issue is the slop in the pump action. The forend is not as tight as it was new, and this is due to the arms that rack the action being flexible. The feed ramp occasionally will jam up after a shot not ejecting spent shells as quickly as usual. The foregrip feels loose, but there is not a tension issue. Its a metal issue or wear to metal issue I should say. If there is a specific area of interest I can address more in detail.

I believe that these wear issues are what sets an 870 apart from generic clone types. The general construction feels better, heavier gauge steel with harder properties. The Remingtons are built to take several hundred rounds easily while these are more for occasional use. IMHO

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Seems like I only paid around $325 for my Mossberg 500... so a little pricier, but not horribly so. As others have mentioned though, if it's truly for HD, how often is it going to be fired? (Unless you live in a really bad neighborhood :D )

IMG_0279.jpg

Top Bottom