• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking for suggestions from those that have taken small ones (4yr old) to the range and tips on what to plan for or how to structure my time there.
    Like many of you out there, I am involved with guns all the time when not at work or spending time with my wife & kids. My 4yr old (& even my 1 yr old for that matter) are very curious about guns. I've tried to teach them the basics every time I discuss guns with them. I've taken him into the backyard with me & my bb gun so I could review safety with him. Now, I think he's ready for his first trip to the range with me this fall for his 1st time shooting. I want to go 1 or 2 times prior to his 1st shoot, so I can so how he handles the different atmosphere & ensure he has the safety basics down. I've kept the safety issues simple for him.

1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded, don't point at anyone.
    2. Don't touch any of Dads guns without permission.
    3. Keep safety on and finger off trigger until gun is pointed in direction you want to shoot and you're ready to fire
    He's spent time with me in the backyard with BB gun and I've gone over safety issues with him to the point I think he is understands. Basically, I want him to have the experience of applying safety practices at the range once or twice before he has a gun in his hand.

My plan is this:

• Go when I can be guaranteed to be the only one there so I can focus on him and his safety.
    • Make target stand for clay targets for his enjoyment at the hits. Maybe paint some black or blue
    • quiz him on safe handling while demonstrating the actions.
    • make up some kind of game for the targets like "hit only the orange" Draw an "X". etc...I really have no ideas :dunno:
    • Keep it short so he doesn't lose interest.

2nd: So I've been thinking of getting the Henry Mini Bolt 22 for him. I had him at Tomlinsons in Churubusco with me while browsing one day and found that the Crickett and TC were still too big for his 4yr old frame. They seemed sized more for a 6yr old not 4yr old. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm concerned though. These seem to run around $300 vs the Crickett's which I remember being only about $100 - $125. Is this true? Should I wait to put a gun in his hands to save $200?

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    kids grow up a lot between 4 and 6 might not be a bad idea to wait. one thing that I have seen scare young children and make them want to leave a range is some one shooting high power rifle rounds the noise and percussion seems to really frighten them just one more reason to make sure the range isnt busy

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My boy started shooting a cricket when he was 5,before that it was a little pellet gun. I know what you mean about LOP, it was a little long. By the time he was six it fit him. But, without any recoil, they adapt to the LOP. I really don't have any complaints about the cricket, he can really shoot that little thing! I can't hit anything with it, heavy trigger way to short and way too light. As far as what to do at the range, what I do is sit right next to him and watch his every move. I talk him through the process and each shot. Preach muzzle control and and finger control. That trigger finger is going to want to go to that trigger. At 4 you may need to help him with the bolt or with cocking the rifle. Make it fun, punching paper is not a whole lot of fun for youngsters. Water bottles, clays, pop cans (full and shaken),playing cards, spinners, etc. are fun and keep things interesting.
    abraham743 has an excellent point about hi/po's and the noise and concussion. Just be careful with that. You want to put them in the most comfortable environment that you can, especially starting out.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks, I've got some good ideas. I think I'll work more in the yard with him with a bb gun and then take him once I have his small rifle in hand so he can enjoy his first experience. Kids bore really easy.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The Mini bolt is a great rifle... much higher quality than the Crickett, IMO, and will fit until about 10 years old.

I suggest the 3 NRA Rules
    Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. Whether you are shooting or simply handling a gun, never point it at yourself or others.
    Common sense will tell you which direction is the safest. Outdoors, it is generally safe to point the gun toward the ground, or, if you are at a shooting range, toward the target. Indoors, be mindful of the fact that a bullet can penetrate ceilings, floors, walls, windows, and doors.
    Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. When holding a gun, rest your trigger finger outside the trigger guard alongside the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.
    Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. If you do not know how to check to see if a gun is unloaded, leave it alone. Carefully secure it, being certain to point it safely and to keep your finger off the trigger, and seek competent assistance.

Suggested reading:
    Eddie Eagle Safety Program I thought there was a way to get a free copy, but I can't find it right now.
    Cornered Cat Scroll down read the chapters on Kids and Guns.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    I am struggling on what to get for my 10 year old daughter. I feel a cricket is too small but something else would be too big. I suppose I could go with the cricket and hand it down to her little brother and then get her a 10/22 later.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Balloons!!!! Get some balloons!!!! Did it with the wife for her first shooting and she thought it was cool...

For an added effect, Something I learned from a fellow INGO, put about a table spoon of flour inside the balloon. When the balloon is hit, visually it resembles a mortar shell exploding!

Hope the little guy has a blast! Please keep us updated on how it goes!!!

Top Bottom