• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I have been searching for a AR15 kit. Is there that much of a $ difference from a kit to an assembled? I've looked into Del-Ton and M&A...is there any other companies/websites you would recommend? I appreciate any feedback.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Palmetto has one, right now, for 480+15 shipped, just add your lower reciever. I have not seen one personally, but your rifle would be done, sans optics and light, for under 6 bills. I hear they are nice, and probably would be a step up from Del-Ton, however, I have not handled a Del-Ton, nor do I own any Palmetto parts besides a spare LPK.

I built a stripped lower with Daniel Defense LPK, and it came out nice.

Think about getting a lightweight upper - there is minimal accuracy difference, from what i hear, and it's lighter. (If you order upper and lower seperately) My BCM upper has treated me very well, but I wish I would have gone lightweight. .750" vs .625", OD barrel.

There are just so many options in the AR world, get something quality that you can enjoy and depend on. Price everything, read about the whole process for a week or two BEFORE you buy anything. Look at Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, or just get a Colt and call it done.

Whatever you spend on your rifle, spend about the same amount on magazines and ammo, and a bit more on a carbine class if you can swing it.

Check out m4carbine.net for reference materials. There is a lot of information up there. And in the end, you can save a small amount of money, but a complete rifle is definitely easier. If you don't like the AR for any reason, a Colt would be the easiest to re-sell, I think. The whole process is really fun. :twocents:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Palmetto State Armory is probably the best bang for the buck right. Spike's makes a great gun too, but be prepared to wait.

Also, I forgot to mention Spikes. I ordered a mid-length carbine for my father, and it is a good rifle, but with additional Magpul furniture (which is much nicer than the stock stuff IMO) it comes out to be about the same as building a DD or BCM. And I waited 5 months.

I should have ordered him a Colt 6520 when they were around for 8-900$.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I just put together a 14.5 palmetto state "kit" with all magpul furniture, and it matches an essential arms lower I already had perfectly, and shoots great.

I highly recommend them.

They originally sent me a foliage green grip and trigger guard, and an od green stock (which is what I ordered). I shot them an email and the next day I had a tracking number for the correct colors and return shipping label for the return. It was an honest mistake and I was very happy with the way they handled it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You should find Model 1 Sales at the 1500. They have many uppers and lower kits. Palmetto may be a bit better deal dollarwise. I like to buy the upper built, already headspaced. I'm looking to complete some 80% lowers and build those out. Just a basic AR for SHTF. No special triggers or anything, just point and click interface, so I can teach my dufus 15yo or the neighbor that's never fired anything.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I would pass on Model 1. I have heard some less than savory things about credit card (in)insecurity, etc as well as less than stellar parts. $0.02

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    +1 to Palmetto.

I've got 3 of their lowers. In June I ordered one of their lower parts kits with the Magpul furniture. Went together perfect. Then I topped it off with their 16" Dissy upper. Outstanding quality and the rifle shoots great.

PalmettoAR01.jpg

rpgoings

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    southside indy
    ar kits

i have handeld the delton its nice but the palamento state stuff looks niced to i am geting a new sun devil tommarow you mite check them out

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Considering that palmetto's uppers come with a chrome line barrel, it actually comes out to be cheaper than delton, and you'd get it much faster, too.

Top Bottom