M1 Carbine reborn...not for the purists...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am going to start by letting you know this carbine was not used by Chesty Puller, it does not of the image of the Holy Mother in the stock, and it was not blessed by the Pope...it is not a sacred relic nor does it have any historical relevance. If I knew this was used by General Douglas MacArthur as his personal firearm and that was documented I would not have sporterized it. As I said it is just one of over 2 1/2 million made by Inland so purist don't get your undies in a twist. Plus it can be back in original configuration in about 20 minutes.

I bought an M1 Carbine s few years back when the CMP got in the last batch of Inlands. I have bought maybe a dozen guns from the CMP and this was the first time I saw a note written on the tag. This one simply said "nice muzzle". First trip to the range it astounded me with 1.25 inch groups of a sandbag at 100 yards with the iron sights. Without a doubt the most accurate carbine I have ever owned or seen.

m1carbinelk0-1.jpg

My eyes do appreciate optic more and more today so I located a "New" old stock all steel Weaver K-2.5 with post reticle. A very old school type of scope that has suddenly been rediscovered. I found an older steel S&K mount with the built in rings and mounted the scope.

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

now I had another problem...stock was too short so the obvious answer was a new stock, found this very nice Bishop walnut sporter stock that looked as if it never had a gun in it. Perfect fit and now the eye relief falls exactly right. I would call this an old school sporter build...can't wait to shoot it this Sunday.

car1copy.jpg

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have two M1 CARBINE rifle & one pistol, The NATIONAL POSTAL METER is the best one, the other rifle & pistol was made by UNIVERSAL, while they both shoot & I don't get any jams, the WWII rifle has history. I like the M1 carbine as is without a scope

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I think of all the soldiers that brought these home from WW11 and Korea and did the same to them that I did, turned them into guns to feed their families with...I feel this is as fitting a tribute as leaving them original is.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I am a purist but I also believe that classic firearms can be made better with modern technology. So how I do it is I buy 2 one that will be left as it came (usually the one in best shape) and the other will be meant for modifications:rockwoot:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think it looks good. Nice job.They were meant to shoot.
    I can't count how many '03s I've seen "sporterized" over the years.
    I've got one and original stock doesn't fit me at all.
    I never thought of re-stocking it but it's something I'm considering now since I can keep all the original parts to restore it to as-issued condition if I want to.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I can shoot them very well in the original military configuration as well, I have shot that rifle in quite a few competitions. The only thing that would be a tiny bit of a pain in order to restore it would be restaking the rear sight in place but that really isn't a tough chore.

The scope...isn't it amazing...just when you think they have thought up something new it turns out they are just doing what was done 40 years ago. Today's DMS scopes are just about the same as this Weaver...just added the red dot part. But when those batteries die voila!, you have the same scope.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I always thought the Carbine was a near perfect home defense rifle. Manueverable, light recoil, bigger hole than a .22LR and even the 15 round magazine is a lot of rounds.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The 10/22 carbines kits have been out for while now, there has been half a dozens threads on here that included them...surprised you hadn't seen it till now. Here is mine along with the Inland in original form. This one had the Tech Sights on it but now that I have bought a set of the NoDak Spud 10/22 sights I prefer them.

rugerm1both.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Range Report

We had a shoot competition yesterday, afterward I gave the little carbine a fast workout. I started at 50 yards because i hadn't bore-sighted the new scope and I want to be on paper first with it. The 1st shot settled things in a bit and fouled the bore then I fired 3 more. All four could have been covered by a quarter, the last three were all touching. The group was low right and after adjusting the scope I fired three more and had to adjust one more time to center the group but left it an inch high.

I moved to the 100 but there were some guys working out with their AR's so I just took some shots at the hanging steel. 5 shots and 5 hits on the 1/4 scale steel USPSA told me I had it pretty well dialed in. I will bench it at 100 just to fine tune things but as it sits I would be confident of hitting a whistle pigs at 150 yards with it.

car4.jpg

Most of the guys at the shoot handled the carbine and unanimously thought it was a winner. This is a light little carbine that handles very quickly, the additional LOP makes it a wonderful fit for everyone who shouldered it yesterday. In the past I have had carbines in aftermarket stocks including both fixed and folding but none felt as good as this 60's era Bishop stock does.

The next step for this will be the addition of swivel studs and it will be ready for anything. This is going to be a wonderful rifle for carrying in the woods, steel competitions, bowling pins...just a great all around rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom