• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I am looking to get a new (well new to me) .44 carbine this year. I know there are quite a few options out there but I am really stuck on the Ruger Deerfield 99/44 carbine. The ruger deerstalker carbine was based on the 10/22 style action while the 99/44 deerfield was based on the mini 14 style action. These are getting very hard to find. Shed some light on this if you have experience with these rifles. I am really looking for input before I dump a lot of money into one of these. Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you like to shoot the large 300 grain 44 mag shells the rate of twist is near perfect. It will stabilize anything you put in it (Now feeding out of the mag/tube might be a little hard if you excede OAL)

If you like the accuracy of a stock 10-22 then the accuracy of the carbine model will suit you well. I would not call it a target rifle.

I could have picked up a few since the new laws allowed PCR's in Indiana. 600 and up for boxed near perfect models and around 500-600 for beat up versions. They were very popular on the east coast and can be purchased online fairly easy if you look. There are a few finger groove models out and about and my personal favorite look a fajen stocked example with finger grooves and nice thumbhole rear.

If you can find a true marked deerstalker you might pick it up. They had to call them the ruger carbine rifle after a lawsuit.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Me two and you would think they would run like a .............!!! The carbines are okay and I have shot them plenty and very accurately but never have I seen a 99/44 deerfield in person. If they run well I REALLY want one.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    If you like to shoot the large 300 grain 44 mag shells the rate of twist is near perfect. It will stabilize anything you put in it (Now feeding out of the mag/tube might be a little hard if you excede OAL)

If you like the accuracy of a stock 10-22 then the accuracy of the carbine model will suit you well. I would not call it a target rifle.

I could have picked up a few since the new laws allowed PCR's in Indiana. 600 and up for boxed near perfect models and around 500-600 for beat up versions. They were very popular on the east coast and can be purchased online fairly easy if you look. There are a few finger groove models out and about and my personal favorite look a fajen stocked example with finger grooves and nice thumbhole rear.

If you can find a true marked deerstalker you might pick it up. They had to call them the ruger carbine rifle after a lawsuit.

I like the deerstalker okay but I am really looking for the Deerfield 99/44. The stalker had the action like that of the ruger 10/22 but the deerfield has the action of the mini 14 and has a box magazine.

Deerfield

deerfield.jpg

Deer Stalker

stalker44.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yeah they are different. They still share lots of common stuff. A ruger tradition that follows all of the lines they sell. I am not really into the look of the deerfield for the reasons you like it. Those finger groove and full internaltion fajen stocked guns were all older deerstalker types.

The barrel cover is cool but extra weight to me. I cannot mention enough on all rugers with barrel bands how barrel band fit is for accuracy. I needs to fit tight without lots of room at the barrel band screw.

Parts I would check out if the normal suppliers have parts to fix them. The deerfields were only made for 6 years from 2000-2006 so parts should be easier to find then say the older Deerstalker version made in 1961 and to 1974 and the latter carbines from 1974 to 1985.

East coast bear hunters use the 44 carbines as a mian stay weapon for years. Many find there way to the internet but few for sale here with the PRC deer rules.

Top Bottom