• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok, While on vacation last month in Colorado, I stopped at a pawn shop, to, of course, look at guns. The guy asked what I was looking for, I said just looking, I can't buy a gun here. He said where are you from?, Indiana. He says Oh...I can sell you a rifle or shotgun!, but handguns would have to be transfered! Maybe I missed something, but I thought it was contiguous states only. He stated that he had sold guns to Indiana residents in Co. He said he could sell long guns to anyone, except Il, and Ca residents? Really? Was there a change in the laws and you guys didn't tell me? :popcorn:

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Smitty, i wished I had the law to read it, but I think you will find out that you can buy long guns in most state's unless they have a NO OWNING gun law, I believe in one of the North East states they have some strange gun laws. i will look it up tomorrow.
    Greg

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Effective July 1, 2011.

On April 26, Governor Daniels signed into law Senate Enrolled Act 94, bringing an Indiana statute in line with federal law allowing for the purchase of long guns in non-contiguous states. SEA 94 was sponsored in the House by state Representative Matthew Lehman (R-79) and cosponsored by state Representative Sean Eberhart (R-57).

Authored in the Senate by state Senator Travis Holdman (R-43) and co-authored by state Senator Jim Tomes (R-49), the “Non-Contiguous State Firearm Purchase” bill will allow Hoosiers to purchase a long gun in any state, and allow a citizen of any other state to purchase a long gun in Indiana, so long as both states allow such purchases. SEA 94 brings Indiana law into line with current BATFE recognition of non-contiguous state long gun purchases, following changes in federal law with the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act.

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    Yea, it was approved and started this summer. Jul 1. Along with this was able to carry in city parks etc, state superceded city, local, county.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It used to be contiguous states only but that Federal code was repealed in 1986.

The contiguous states language remained at the state level in IC 35-47-5-6, but that too was repealed just this year.

So, if it's not forbidden by the state in which you wish to purchase a rifle or shotgun, you may purchase - but only from an FFL.

ETA: Dang, I'm gettin' slow in my wise old age. :D

:oldwise:

Top Bottom