• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I'm looking to build a .308 caliber ar. Dont know very much about brands, quality, specs, or features. I know i want a .308, so dont try to convince me to get a 5.56. Anyone have any thoughts on where i should look, what i should look at? Probably just gonna buy one piece at a time, what should i start with upper, lower? pistol grip? haha

:dunno::twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i did alot of research on this a few months back. if i had gone threw with my plan i was going to buy the cheapest 308 ar i could, then swap out the parts i didn't want and keep the ones i could use. you figure 500 for a upper and lower, 225 for a bcg, 70 and that alone buys a cheap 308 ar. then sell the rest of the parts and replace them with what i wanted

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Vette hit the nail on the head! Its way cheaper to just buy an already bulit .308AR then putting it together. You can find one already built for almost the same price of just a .308 upper. I found out the same thing when I was researching. Just find ya a DPMS or something and just add stuff to it to make it how you want.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    If you are going to build, just get a Mega Ma-Ten and be done with the receivers. There is actually a set in the classifieds now....monolithic upper and all.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    You also need to keep in mind that a .308 AR is NOT like a 5.56 --- the parts from one company may not be compatible with parts from another company. For example, with the .308 there are two magazine standards neither of which is compatible with each other. So once you go with a particular company, you are dedicated to that platform...

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    157   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    if you buy one and swap parts might consider armalite for a base gun but be prepared barrel replacements are not going to be cheap . amalites n.m. barrel is an absolute tack driver but the barrel is $500 and the swaping out your butt stock and trigger and add a free float tube rifle length your really better off just buying a good rifle from the git go . just not enough good prices on ar10 parts out there you could easy sink 2k on a rifle that you can buy for 1500 but you dont get the satifaction of building it and that is half the fun rra sells a very fine ar10 as well

Iluvguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2011
    If you are going to build, just get a Mega Ma-Ten and be done with the receivers. There is actually a set in the classifieds now....monolithic upper and all.

this!

i have a couple buddies that have built on the Mega sets and they love em

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I would advise an AR-10 from Armalite..

You can buy complete from places likes Bud's online. Or if you want to have a custom style setup then 762SASS has all of the Armalite parts, barrels etc.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    cdnn has cmmg ar 10 style rifles right now for 1100 with light weight 16 inch barrels and magpul accessories or a 18 " sass style for 1399 with 2 p mags and magpul prs stock. i just ordered up the 18 inch version with 5 extra p mags today. i will post up a review when i get it in and try it out. pretty good deal if it shoots well and you have a choice of three color's as well (FDE, black, OD). this is a exclusive for cdnn as of now and not on the website for cmmg.

here is a link to one on gunbroker for more money then cdnn has them for instock now. only black available as i got the last green one and no fde left at cdnn.

CMMG Wasp MK3 .308 Win : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'm looking to build a .308 caliber ar. Dont know very much about brands, quality, specs, or features. I know i want a .308, so dont try to convince me to get a 5.56. Anyone have any thoughts on where i should look, what i should look at? Probably just gonna buy one piece at a time, what should i start with upper, lower? pistol grip? haha

:dunno::twocents:

What do you plan to do with it?

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Why does everyone think they need to say "get an M1A!" or "get a FAL!" Both are great rifles in their own right. Neither are as versatile as a AR10. The guy wants the build a .308 AR. If the thread was "I want a .308 rifle" these would be appropriate responses.

To the OP:
    If you are serious about building an AR10 (I have found it is cheaper to just buy) you need to do a lot of research first. Parts compatibility is an issue and you need to know exactly what you are buying. I would start in the AR10 section of AR15.com. As ridiculous as general discussion is over there, the technical sections are great. Start with the stickies at the top of the section.

When built right, AR10s can be extremely versatile and built to fill a variety of roles and perform exceptionally at that role.

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Why does everyone think they need to say "get an M1A!" or "get a FAL!" Both are great rifles in their own right. Neither are as versatile as a AR10. The guy wants the build a .308 AR. If the thread was "I want a .308 rifle" these would be appropriate responses.

To the OP:
    If you are serious about building an AR10 (I have found it is cheaper to just buy) you need to do a lot of research first. Parts compatibility is an issue and you need to know exactly what you are buying. I would start in the AR10 section of AR15.com. As ridiculous as general discussion is over there, the technical sections are great. Start with the stickies at the top of the section.

When built right, AR10s can be extremely versatile and built to fill a variety of roles and perform exceptionally at that role.

Good advice, but I still think he shout get a FAL...:rockwoot:

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County

I just got an LMT MWS 308 with the 16 inch barrel and O my what a thing of beauty sweet shooting gun I know it alot of coin but I feel it was worth it. As far as building one it was almost the same cost as the LMT. (Got it for under $2450.

Top Bottom