Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

338 Lapua vs 300 WM vs 50 BMG

I can't decide which big boy rifle to go for. I would like to take my distance shooting to a new level. I realize there are good and bad things with all these calibers. The .338 lapua is probibly the best, but also the most expensive at $5 a round. The 300 win mag is the cheapest which is nice, but then there is the .50. And all I have to say is, IT'S A .50!!!! BOOM!!!!!!! What fun it would be to shoot.

Any opinion, comment or experience with these is appreciated***, Thanks

Plinker
    I'd say the 50 BMG
    PM sent with a well known 50 for sale pretty cheap

As much as a 50 cal would be fun to have ,the 300 win mag would be a logical choice due to the availability of ammo,price & places to shoot it , it also wouldnt require double ear protection. Thats how I would approach that decision as nice as A 50 cal in the arsenal would be , i dont think it would get as much range time if i were flipping the bill for ammo

If your wanting a superior round for long range target shooting I would go with the .338lapua. Unless you have need to stop a moving Humvee at 800yrds, then go with the .50bmg. Im just hoping you reload, shooting any of these calibers is going to get expensive.
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Expert
    My plan is for the 338 LM. I have a 300 short mag and it is fun. I can hit 2 moa at 1000 yds with it. But I am wanting a 338 for a dedicated long range rifle. My understanding is that the balistics are about as good as anything else and better than most. If you reload, the cost of the 338 is about the same as other rounds. About 80-85 grains of powder compared to 70 grains in my 300wsm.Bullets are just a little more expensive for the 338 but not much.

The 338LM brass cost alot also. Have you ever thought about a 338remington ultra mag. The ballistics are vary close, if you reload for them. The 338 rum will save you alot when you buy the brass.

Have you looked at the 338 Remington Ultra Mag? The ballistics, at least on paper look to be comparable, the rifles tend to be just a bit less expensive, and I think brass is less expensive too. I havent seen many reviews on this caliber, but from the looking (ans daydreaming) I have done, it looks to be a poor mans Lapua mag.

The 50 would be the ultimate, but reloading would be mandatory to afford any sort of regular shooting, and setting up for it would require a bigger press, and possibly a few other larger items that are specific to the caliber. That, combined with the extra cost of components and practical places that it could be fully utilized, the big 50 isnt the most practical long range caliber for this area.

Expert
    My understanding is that for less than 800 yds, the 338 RUM and 338 Win Mag are comparable to the LM. After 800, the others "run out of gas" and start dropping lik a rock. The LM has enough "umph" to keep a flatter trajectory out past 1000 as well as carrying more energy downrange.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Any opinion, comment or experience with these is appreciated***,
    My experience in this area is very limited, but shooting OneBadV8's .300WM did put a grin on my face.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long_g...pics_vids.html

Go .50 or .338 if you've got the pockets to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The .338 lapua is probibly the best, but also the most expensive at $5 a round.
    Regardless of which one you choose if you aren't going to be hand loading for it you'll be starting with a massive handicap.

If you look at bullets first, and you should, the 300 Win Mag doesn't come close.
    Playing the preference points game...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast