• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've tried both, but I actually have a scope to mount on my gun. I'm wondering if anyone has used a scope and then switched to the peep sight. If so, what was the reason for the change and what do you think?

I will be using this rifle for hunting (50-100 yards), so if there are advantages to using one over the other, please let me know what you think.

ScopeforLeverAction.jpg

PeepSight.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Personally I like peep sights on lever guns. They seem to be quicker to use and easier to see with at duck or in the brush. That being said with my aging eyes I also like scopes on my rifles. I guess it boils down to your preference and the type of scope you use. There are some very fine lower power fixed and variable scopes on the market today that would be perfect. I would choose a 1x-4x or something in that range. I have a Burris 0-4x, I think, on a lever 22 and it works great. :twocents:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use both sort of.

I have a scout scope setup on my marlin with a skinner LO-pro backup. I have used the backup in heavy snow and rain. To me the scout setup is as quick as open sight I feel it is even quicker to get on target. Warne QD rings and I have tested the on and off and it is rock solid as far as staying on target.

Best peeps on the maket at skinners.

I tend to hunt on my feet after the opening morings of firearms season which i find better suited to stand hunting. If deep in the woods then the lever somes out.

I setup my marlin limited 44 mag for my type of hunting. If i go into the stand I might grab my contender pistol as it reaches out a little better in 7-30 waters. Plus I can use the rail for handgun support.

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03059.jpg

I setup dads 44 mag with an old redfield gold five star in 1-4 power and it mainly stays on 2.5. He does not like the scout scope. Many do not I love it.

I also have a 35 rem 336 with peeps only. It rocks. A savage 99 with weaver post 4x. and a 308 BLR with a 2.5 leopold ultralight.

The 2.5 ultra light is a prefect scope for a lever action mounted normally for 50-150 yard shots. If i did not want to snap shoot I would use the ultralight.

In my opinion many people go hunting with to much magnification. My favorite varmint rifle sports a 6 power fixed.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    for 50-100yds id go with a peep. if your doing to push the limits id consider a scope

Nope, not pushing any limits, but my concern is feeling confident at 75-100 if the opportunity arises. I have 43-year old eyes and I really want to go into next season with my equipment being the last of my concerns.

I'm really hoping to hunt within 50-yards, but I would kick myself if a 75-100 yard opportunity came and I wasn't confident behind the trigger. I don't know, maybe I've answered my own question. :dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Nope, not pushing any limits, but my concern is feeling confident at 75-100 if the opportunity arises. I have 43-year old eyes and I really want to go into next season with my equipment being the last of my concerns.

I'm really hoping to hunt within 50-yards, but I would kick myself if a 75-100 yard opportunity came and I wasn't confident behind the trigger. I don't know, maybe I've answered my own question. :dunno:

i think if you put on a peep and do some shooting you will be confident at 100 yds.

if you do go with a scope i would use somthing like a 1-4, 1.75-5, 2-7

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    i think if you put on a peep and do some shooting you will be confident at 100 yds.

if you do go with a scope i would use somthing like a 1-4, 1.75-5, 2-7

Yeah, I have a 2-7x32 that I was going to try to use. I'm going to get the peep and see what happens. I have time to train with both to see which would be best. I put this up before recalling that many of the guys on here are much younger than me and the peep is probably fine for them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yeah, I have a 2-7x32 that I was going to try to use. I'm going to get the peep and see what happens. I have time to train with both to see which would be best. I put this up before recalling that many of the guys on here are much younger than me and the peep is probably fine for them.

understood. if i can help in any way you know how to get ahold of me

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Depends on the round. How flat does it shoot? Obviously, the flatter it shoots, the easier it is to use a peep at 100yd. I almost lost a buck in '10 because it popped out of nowhere so fast that I had trouble getting it inside the scope. That would not have been a problem with the peep.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Rip the head off the deer. You'll forget the gun at home anyway.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I use a Prostaff 3-9x40 on my Marlin 44 mag. My eyes are bad enough and I can screw up enough other things that I want all advantages I can get. I'm confident out to 100 yards with it. With work, I could get confident farther, but where I hunt, the max shot would be about 100 yds.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Peep sights and old eyes work pretty well.

Might have to change the front sight for best picture....lots of beads too big IMHO.
    Pop cans at 100 yards, on end......easy with good peep sight.
    Hell, if you know the yardage you should be able to shoot twice that.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    On a hunting rifle I like to K.I.S.S. so I would lean towards a set of quality sights. That being said, the big advantage to using a quality scope is the optics will help bring in light in a low light scenario, one I've often found myself in when hunting white tail.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Peep sights and old eyes work pretty well.

Might have to change the front sight for best picture....lots of beads too big IMHO.
    Pop cans at 100 yards, on end......easy with good peep sight.
    Hell, if you know the yardage you should be able to shoot twice that.

What Hookeye said ^^^^ Besides, a cowboy gun deserves a good peep sight.
    401334568.jpg

Marbles tang sight on my M92

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Personally, I prefer a receiver sight on all of my various LA's. Part of that is because a scope makes carrying them afield with my hand grasping it at the natural balance point awkward and uncomfortable.

The one exception was the Savage M99-F in .308 Win. I used to have. With that rifle and cartridge, a scope was an asset as I used it when hunting in places where a 150-200 yd. shot was likely to be the only one you'd get.

Top Bottom