• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    ok guys, i dont know much about the AK style rifles.
    I want to get an AK rifle but i have around $500-700 to spend on it, what should i be getting?
    should i look at ak-47 or ak-74?
    What brand and model?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Personal favorite: M70AB2. Sturdy, compact (underfolder), reliable, versatile. Not everyone likes the underfold stock, though. Depending on the sights, can be recharged with tritium vials for night use.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    In that price range you will be looking at one of the "lower teir" makes. May find a good used "higher teir" one if you get lucky.

AK-47 has the advantage of more easily procured ammo and mags, the -74 will give you better accuracy. Pick you poison and enjoy it.

Just about any of them will run like a raped ape.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    What do you want it for/what do you plan on using it for? that will help determine the caliber. if you want to knock the stuffing out of targets within 150 meters, don't mind carrying heavy bullets, and like the original flavor of the AK, then get the 47. If you want to do medium distance shots 2-300 yards, want lighter bullets, a harder time finding cheap mags, go with the 74. If you want longer range, get an AR platform or prepare to fork out serious cash to get an AK that will do it for ya.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    well mainly want it for target shooting up to 150 yards and i dont have one yet. just wanting some ideas for what to look for at the gun show this weekend.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If it is a Century/WASR gun, check for cant and riveting. Most of them are fine but there are some lemons still out there. AK47s are better of the two for just starting. Items are much easier to find.

If you do go with a AK74, find a Waffen Werks.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I personally dislike them for no good reason. Had one for about 3 months and just didn't want it in my safe any longer.

It is a totally unreasonable dislike though, this is a weapon that will eat any crap ammo you want to put in it and still go off every time and produce man-killing accuracy out to at least 100 yards without fail. An amazing piece of machinery actually. Just ugly and un-refined. IMO.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    You will definitely find accessories and ammo easier for 47. I have had a WASR 10-63, converted Saiga in 5.45, a Bulgy 74, Now I have an AES-10B (Romanian RPK). I LOVE THE PLATFORM! Saigas are a little on the heavy side. Bulgy was way lighter. RPK just ROCKS!

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    If you go with a 74 look for a Waffen Werks, they are a very well made AK. But with the 74 the mags are very expencive (for the good ones) and very hard to find. If you go with a 47 look for a polish, they are well made and reliable. And with the 47 the mags are easier to find and alot cheaper. If you could possibly save a little more money get an Arsenal. Just my :twocents:

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I would suggest one of the Yugo under folder models. If you could come off of some serious cash I would look at a pre ban Norinco or Pollytech milled receiver due to the cool factor and the increasing collector value. If you look at the Century WASRs look over the front sights good and see how well it accepts mags and see how well the dust cover mates up on the receiver. Those 3 things I have noticed very from gun to gun. If you can find one that passes those tests well you can get a nice piece for the money. Luckily I was able to cherry pick one out of group of 12 about 7 or 8 years ago for $300.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I personally dislike them for no good reason. Had one for about 3 months and just didn't want it in my safe any longer.

It is a totally unreasonable dislike though, this is a weapon that will eat any crap ammo you want to put in it and still go off every time and produce man-killing accuracy out to at least 100 yards without fail. An amazing piece of machinery actually. Just ugly and un-refined. IMO.

And yet beautiful in its own peasant-girl-next-door sort of way.

I've got a Vector (Polish) Underfolder that I bought a few years ago. It's a great rifle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And yet beautiful in its own peasant-girl-next-door sort of way.

I've got a Vector (Polish) Underfolder that I bought a few years ago. It's a great rifle.

Friend of mine picked up a Polish underfolder (I just know there's a joke in there I'm missing), and its a beauty. Especially in the AK world. Furniture is nice looking, folder locks up tight, and it shoots like it should. I think he paid $550 for it at Elmore's, but it was the last one they had at the time.

I've got a nice SAR-1, but I don't think they are imported any longer.

I don't know if now is the time to buy an AK or not. I'm no fortune teller, and it depends on how optomistic you want to be. We may be in a bit of an AK bubble due to panic buying, or it may be the start of a long rise in value. I'm glad I've already got mine either way.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I have several different AK's and they all have pros and cons. The real question is do you just want to have an AK and go out and shoot some stuff or do you really want a quality gun if so there are other options anyway. You can pick up a cheap one from Dunham's from time to time for around $450.00. They generally have several to pick from so you can get the best one. It is a cheapy but I think most of the time people buy AK's it is just for fun and accuracy isn't really the most important thing. I know personally mine are just for fun. I am sorry if I offend some of the high end AK guys.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    hello

take a look at these: Welcome to I.O. Inc.

there are a few local gun stores who carry them.
    U.S.A. made if that matters or not. Monroe, North Carolina.

they use Polish schematics to build off of. they also import some stuff but the aks are made here and can be had for around $600 give or take.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If possible, try to stay way from Century builds until your a little mode familiar with the platform. They're stuff is very hit or miss. Your budget will almost get you an Arsenal, or possibly a used one. A used Vector might also fall in your budget, as well as a Waffen Works, or nicely converted Saiga.

As far as caliber, both are awesome. 47 surplus mags & ammo are a little more common, and the round is a beast. 74 is going to be more accurate and more on par with with 223.

Top Bottom