• Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    New Remington 700 troubles

Hey INGO,

Just took my new 700 sps tactical in .223 out to the range for the first time.

As soon as I got it, I removed the bolt(with much labor and difficulty) and oiled and cleaned the gun running a few patches down the bore as well.

Well...I shot about 25 rounds with it, some factory and some reloads...had multiple fails to feed from the magazine...and eventually had a bullet get lodged in the "ogive"..I think thats the right word....and pull out of the case upon extraction after failing to fire(wolf primer)...spilling powder(BLC-2) all over the internals of the gun.

The gun would no longer lock the bolt down due to powder fouling and I ran my otis cable down the barrel lightly to dislodge the bullet.

Now Im at home and CAN NOT remove the bolt...even while pushing on the release with a cleaning rod...the button moves easily but doesnt return to position and the bolt WILL NOT come out.

Help me out INGO...this is my first 700 so Im new to them.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

All the reloads where fully case sized and seated to Lyman specs at 2.260" OAL....going to have to start crimping I guess.
    Factory loads where a few Wolf Steel case and some American eagle..both 55gr.

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Well....pulled the action out of the stock and after a thorough cleaning and drying...the bolt release is still "finicky".

It seems that the small spring that holds it all together is weak.

Going to look into ge4tting a stiffer return spring.

God bless
    -Shred

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Back again INGO,

Well...I fixed the bolt release problem by bending the actuation tab at the lever end trigger group...fixed.

But now Im running into other problems.

Anyone ever heard of a 700 not having enough "free bore"?

I was checking this last night and started by loading a "long" bullet out to 2.390(lymen spec for 75gr) and DID NOT crimp...just wanted to see how deep the throat was.

Much to my surprise, upon extraction the bullet measure 2.202"...BULLET SETBACK!...anyone seen this before?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom