• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I did contact PSA and try to get this straightened out, but the best I could get was a return and refund so this is just an FYI for potential buyers

A little background: I've purchased 2 uppers previously with PSA and both had to go back to have the barrel assembly realigned. Both came back with "yeah these were out of spec, sorry" letters so kudos to CS and the techs.

I recently received a "Hammer Forged Mock Mid Length Premium Dissipator Stripped Upper" and the first thing I do is try to affix a set of MOE Rifle Length Hand guards. The fit was a no go and as I look at the stock round handguards and realized that they were bulging at the center. They were a little too tight. As I looked at the upper, minus the handguards, I noticed that the endcap was a little off center in terms of it's lateral axis.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/Checkfoo/Diss2_zpsc6ff81df.jpg

My attention was then drawn to how it, the endcap, was affixed to the Front Sight Block. I did a little research on dissipators and found that all the examples, I had found, used a press fit pin that replicated the diameter of the gas tube. The one I had received used a screw with a head that exceeded the diameter of the gas tube. This, combined with the end cap angle, made mounting the moe hadguard impossible.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/Checkfoo/Diss1_zps2c4a4f75.jpg

The icing on the cake for me was a third discovery I made when I was examining the barrel itself. I noticed that the barrel was exactly identical to My PSA Mid Length, non dissipator, upper's barrel. This is odd considering the sight block locations. Most A2 profile barrels are contoured to .750" where the gas blocks or sight towers affix, depending on the gas system length, and then drop off to .735" A dissipator using an A2 profile barrel typically maintains a .750" diameter from the low profile gas block to the sight tower location. So the PSA version of a dissipator I had used a .750" clamp on a .735" barrel. It is pinned but....

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/Checkfoo/diss3_zps7ec87f8c.jpg

Is the tolerance of this fit a non issue and will it hold up to abuse? I honestly have no idea. Even though it is pinned my confidence is low. I contacted PSA CS and the gentleman I spoke to had never heard of the issues I was having so it may not be an issue with every dissipipator upper they sell,.....mabye. He also was not able to relay to me that he had a real idea of what I was taking issue with. I was not able to exchange the upper for a different model as per PSA policy. Instead of me sending it back, on my dime, and exchanging it, they require a deposit of funds. Considering the POS I received I opted for a return tag and said thank you anyway.

If anyone has a PSA Dissipator that was assembled with the correct diameter barrel using the proper end cap attachment method please let me know. This could be an isolated incident. I wasn't able to actually speak to an assembly tech so I couldn't actually talk shop. I'm not sending it in quite yet till I get confirmation via email from PSA or someone on here.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Wow, you must have the PSA albatros around your neck. I'm not a dissipator guy, but I would not like the frontsight to have daylight between it and the barrel. At this point you can send it back or yank off the front tower and install a rail that would cover everything up.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why you would order a third upper when two other from the same place have had to go back for fixes.

Glad my PSA upper came perfect.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Wow, you must have the PSA albatros around your neck. I'm not a dissipator guy, but I would not like the frontsight to have daylight between it and the barrel. At this point you can send it back or yank off the front tower and install a rail that would cover everything up.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why you would order a third upper when two other from the same place have had to go back for fixes.

Glad my PSA upper came perfect.

Third times the charm?

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Everything I'm reading about PSA's dissipators from other buyers around the net seems to indicate they're fine especially considering the cost. I'm hoping the OP's experience, as unfortunate as it is for him, is an isolated case. I don't have a dissy but I do have a mid-length PSA upper I'm quite happy with so I'm strongly considering biting the bullet and giving PSA a shot for my dissipator build.

If they were in the $800-$900 range like Spikes or CMMG I don't think I would risk it but for a little over $400 it seems like a gamble worth taking.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Hopefully this is an isolated incident as i like the looks of the dissipater but if money allows have no problem going higher end.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Man, you've got me worried sick now. I literally just assembled a dissy for my cousin. It's all PSA too. I'll check the front sight post issues as soon as I get home. I remember seeing the screw into the gas hole of the front sight post and I didn't think anything of it because the front sight post isn't being used as working gas tube. If there's a gap there I can't see it affecting the working functions of the rifle, but I could understand why it'd drive a guy nutts with it not being right.

I convinced my cousin to go PSA because of all the great reviews they've been getting online. I hope I didn't just talk him into buying a lemon. I've got a delton dissy with the full length gas tube and it's been 100% reliable for me. I was hoping his PSA would be just as good if not better than my delton.

If I have the same issues with his rifle I'll post pictures as well. I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison of the two dissy's anyway so people would know and see the difference.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well I didn't get a chance to take pictures but the PSA dissy that my cousin has doesn't have any of the problems you've mentioned. I popped the more hand guards off my Dalton and they went right onto the PSA. I'm sorry to hear about your luck, it looks like you got the exception, not the rule.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well I didn't get a chance to take pictures but the PSA dissy that my cousin has doesn't have any of the problems you've mentioned. I popped the more hand guards off my Dalton and they went right onto the PSA. I'm sorry to hear about your luck, it looks like you got the exception, not the rule.

Light at the end of the tunnel. Was the upper you purchased Hammer Forged or CMV?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Mine is a hammer forged and it has the screw in the end cap to the sight. Everything fits fine and barrel alignment is fine.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Light at the end of the tunnel. Was the upper you purchased Hammer Forged or CMV?

I'd have to double check with my cousin on that. He bought it, I just put it all together. One thing I'll say about the upper that could be considered a flaw would be that the stamping on the barrel goes undernearth the front sight/gas block and it makes it look like the front sight was an afterthought.

I'm sorry you got a jacked up upper, I truely am. I've had nothing but great luck with PSA equipment and shipping.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I'm just waiting to hear back from their CS on getting it replaced. Mine having a standard middleweight barrel must, hopefully, just be an isolated mistake.

Top Bottom