Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

Deer hunting with 300blk out

I had heard there was a push to legalize the 300 blackout for deer hunting in Indiana.

Is this true and if so has there been any positive progression?

Thanks

Doesn't meet the min. diameter requirements for use out of a rifle.

It's legal for use out of a handgun.

As far as I know, other than suppressors being legal for hunting on 1-July-13, no new hunting rules/laws in effect.

DNR: Hunting & Trapping Guide is your friend. Download it. Read it. Become familiar with it.

-J-

Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dantrom View Post
    I had heard there was a push to legalize the 300 blackout for deer hunting in Indiana.

Is this true and if so has there been any positive progression?

Thanks
    I don't recall hearing that there was a proposal to add the .300 BLK to the list of permissible rifle cartridges for deer in Indiana.

Specifically the rule that eliminates .300 BLK is:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons.
    The case length is OK but the .308 diameter bullet fails to meet the .357" requirement.

But you were just looking for that reason to get a .458 SOCOM upper for your AR, right?

Plinker
    I hadnt heard of a proposal either. It was local gun shop talk and didn't know just how in the know the source was. I have read and know the dnr rules and restrictions but thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by jwh20 View Post
    But you were just looking for that reason to get a .458 SOCOM upper for your AR, right?
    Right you are!! I would love to give a 458 a try, I was actually extremely impressed with my 6.8 spc I used on a deer hunt in Michigan last year. Wish I could just use that here in the state... Alas the restrictions..

I would love for them to legalize 6.5 Grendel

To add a bit more info:

.300 Blk IS legal for deer hunting, out of a rifle... But only on depredation permits/tags/whatever they're called.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
    I would love for them to legalize 6.5 Grendel
    AR pistol! (or depredation permit...)

Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dantrom View Post
    Right you are!! I would love to give a 458 a try....
    I knew it! How can you not get even a little excited over something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by jwh20 View Post
    I knew it! How can you not get even a little excited over something like this:

They can be pretty dang accurate too, the flyer was all me! I get a little jumpy after a few rounds

This group was shot with 405gr lead plinking loads I worked up.

Plinker
    I Have a 300 Blackout and would love to see it make the list of legal calibers. However, I'm also very interested in the .458 Socom. Any Socom experts here? I would like to build an upper, but I don't like the profile on the Wilson Combat barrel. Are there any other barrel manufacturers?

Sharpshooter
    I bought a Rock River upper in 458. Took two deer last year with it. I will be doing a bolt action conversion on a Stevens 200 action for this coming season. can't wait til that one is done!
    I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom...you keep the "change".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast