• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I want a new AR. Mine is currently 'good enough', but now I'm in the market for 'perfect' or at least close to that.

Requirements
    • Single manufacturer. I've had my fun building and customizing.
    • Flat top required, no FSB. I want a gas block that is lo-pro enough to be recessed under the hand-guard.
    • Carbine length or shorter.
    • 5.56 is fine, but I'd prefer something chambered to support .223 because I already stock that.

Preferences
    • Non-monolithic, unless it has the exact style of hand-guard I want.
    • Hand-guard has attachable rail segments like this. I prefer the 'no rail except where it's needed' approach. Feel free to recommend other rail solutions similar to this.
    • Preferably a cheap/default butt-stock and pistol grip, as they will likely be replaced with magpul or other customs. Likely a SOCOM stock.

Intended use is ranged paper punch. I don't do much with mine other than bench shooting at the range, but that will hopefully change at some point. I'm still torn between red dot + magnifier or the scope I'm using now (1-4x24).

Budget isn't a concern, within reason. If I find a perfect solution I'll save up to make it happen.

Current brands being considered. BCM, DD, LWRC, LMT, and KAC. Who else should I look at?

Last edited:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Finding an AR that is "mostly" manufactured in house limits the choices. DD and LMT would be my primary picks and then add the fire control system of your choice.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Of those you listed, I'd go with the KAC

X 3.

There are a lot of nice AR's out there and I've shot a lot, and I wouldn't trade my SR15 IWS for any of them. The designs are unique and tested and the quality is as good as any.

I'm not saying Noveske, DD, LMT are not quality; obviously that isn't true. But a true Knight manufactured gun will run with and past most of them.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Just to warn you.... ALl that fancy doodad and junk is just that junk.

AR-15's made by the lowest possible bidder have been killing jihadi's since the 80's and America's enemies since the 1960's, and they werent free float this or plastic flip up that.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    AR-15's made by the lowest possible bidder have been killing jihadi's since the 80's and America's enemies since the 1960's, and they werent free float this or plastic flip up that.

Hammers have been around for thousands of years so there's no point over paying for a pneumatic nail gun...? Nothing wrong with fancy equipment that has proven itself to be the pinnacle of performance.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Current brands being considered. BCM, DD, LWRC, LMT, and KAC. Who else should I look at?

Great list. I would add LaRue Tactical and Noveske Rifleworks.

5627878791_8a00ab4e0d_z.jpg

lrlp-556-n_1.jpg

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Lots of good suggestions made here....My question for you is why not just build it for yourself from top tier parts? You said you were going to change stock, grip and the hand guard. I say just do the rest instead of paying for parts that you're just going to lose money on.

I own a Noveske, LMT, High Caliber sales MK12 and I've had LWRC and Daniel Defense. They are quality rifles no doubt about it, but they don't shoot any better than AR's I've built with Noveske barrels or hart Krieger etc. Nothing they do is magic that you or I can't do at home with some tools. (maybe the Noveske titty sprinkles are magic)

Once you buy and switch out $200 stock, $300 hand guard, grip, trigger...etc. You've wasted a big chunk of change in my opinion, which I've done multiple times. There is something cool about having a "Noveske" rifle or whatever your favorite brand is, but I've built my last couple from scratch. I even have 3 new stripped lowers in the works just cause of the ESEE, Magpul China Doll and an old 70's Colt names printed on them. It's a sickness!!

Oh and you might want to check out High Caliber Sales Kevin is based out of Carmel and makes some really quality stuff. My MK12 MOD 1 upper consistently shoots sub MOA on the ~800 yard range at Bass and Bucks.

Top Bottom