• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    My recent video about the new Arsenal SAM7SF rifle brought out the typical "AK's are cheap junk" comments both in the video comments and on forums where the video was shared. I've never understood the mentality that a $1500 AK that's made to a high degree of quality is bad while a $1500 AR made to the same level of quality is good. There are people that think the AK is a second class rifle no matter how well it's made or how well it shoots and they should all be priced at 2009 WASR-10 prices.

I can remain silent no longer.

The AK is meant to be cheap | The Bang Switch

Let the beatings begin!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If I am dropping $1500 on any rifle it had better be able to consistently hit a target at 500m or more, with something far better than minute of man sized groupings

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unless its a milled AK, to me the manufacturing processes and parts materials do not justify a $1500 ak.(and even milled thats too high). But I think the AK is better than a basic AR-15 any day. Companies that are making and selling these AK's are ass raping consumers an they know it.

im an AK lover and proud!

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I stopped caring what other people thought of a firearm (or anything else for that matter) that I chose for myself. If I saw value in the item, it filled my needs and performed as I desired, then it was good enough. I admit that I don't have any love for AK's but I don't have any hate for them either. I am indifferent on the issue. It sure would be a boring world if everyone agreed on everything all the time.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I think it's interested that people drop hundreds to upgrade their ARs to a gas piston, which the AKs all have, no matter how cheap.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    My guess is that enough people have seen "cheap" and "AK" together enough times that they assume it means quality and not price, although now the price isn't cheap. That and the fact that people tend to only get involved in forums when something doesn't work. So when nearly all of the Century AK's had the same QC complaints, everyone only saw quality issues. Couple that information with an AR (or any other gun) fanboy mentality, a lack of interest in AK's, and the AK gets a stigma stuck to it.

I finished assembling my first AR a couple weeks ago and I really can't say it would hold up any better than my Bulgarian AK 74. Sure the AR looks a little prettier and might shoot tighter groups at a farther distance, but telling the authorities, "my life was in danger from 500 yards away," takes some of the practicality out of the argument.

I do agree though that WASR's should go back to 2009 prices, but that's more of a personal/missed opportunity opinion.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So why did the crack pots at the atf ban the importation of barrels in AK parts kits? It's even more stupid than the old ban on bayonets. I'm sure it's just to screw us. Or there is some insider trading going on there. Can atf employees own gun shares?

Papabeargsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anderson
    My guess is that enough people have seen "cheap" and "AK" together enough times that they assume it means quality and not price, although now the price isn't cheap. That and the fact that people tend to only get involved in forums when something doesn't work. So when nearly all of the Century AK's had the same QC complaints, everyone only saw quality issues. Couple that information with an AR (or any other gun) fanboy mentality, a lack of interest in AK's, and the AK gets a stigma stuck to it.

I finished assembling my first AR a couple weeks ago and I really can't say it would hold up any better than my Bulgarian AK 74. Sure the AR looks a little prettier and might shoot tighter groups at a farther distance, but telling the authorities, "my life was in danger from 500 yards away," takes some of the practicality out of the argument.

I do agree though that WASR's should go back to 2009 prices, but that's more of a personal/missed opportunity opinion.[/

What this guy said! :rockwoot:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    As a society, we've been brainwashed to equate quality with price. My Polish underfolder AK, with some aftermarket goods, has about $900 total into it. The Rock River AR that I USED to own, had about $1600 into it. After several sessions at the range, I determined that not only was my AK as accurate with cheaper ammo, it was a little more fun to shoot with less upkeep. I sold the AR.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Fullauto,

Although you and I have disagreed (with great passion on both sides:rockwoot:) once on this forum regarding whether the K frame Smith and Wesson belonged in a top 5 list of important/innovative handgun designs of the 20th Century I agree wholeheartedly with your Arsenal review. I have had four Bulgarian Arsenal AK's in the past and have one currently (an SLR 106F) and I put their quality on par with any AR's being manufactured today. There is much residue left over from the Cold War it seems and there will always haters. A milled receiver Arsenal AK at $1500 (whose cost is high due to the devaluation of the US dollar abroad more than anything else) is well worth the asking price. They are excellent firearms and I remember buying my first Arsenal SLR 105 for $500 and telling my buddy, "Mark my words, these are quality guns and future AK fans will one day hold these in the same regard as they hold the Chinese Polytechs/Norincos now" and being laughed at. I still think I was right and he stopped by the shop one day years later and said, "Well Nostradomus, you were right about those Bulgy's."

A buddy of mine went to their factory to inspect weapons for defense contractor a couple of years ago to check the QC, head spacing etc... before the guns were to be shipped out to the defense contractors customers (the Iraqi Police I think) and said the factory is modern, clean, and that every gun he inspected was perfect. He said that the QC department there would put some Amercian companies to shame (Are you listening Remington with your Marlins lever guns? Getting beat in the QC department by a former Communist nation has to hurt.) He also said the Bulgarians are really good folk.

I still think the K frame Smith belongs in that top five list...But that's only one hillbilly's opinion.:):

Nice weapon. Nice review.

Indiucky
    Falls City Firearms

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If I'm dropping $1500 for a rifle, especially a Russian rifle, it better be spitting out 54R. If it's an American rifle, it better be .308. There is no reason for a battle carbine of any country to cost that much.

I want all my AKs to function the same, including my VEPR 54R (which did not cost $1500) that's on the way.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It's that way with any firearm. You will find people that love Berettas and hate Glocks. You will find people that love Glocks and hate Berettas. Fill in any firearm name and you will find anywhere from "can't live without" to "wouldn't have one if it was the last on earth".

There are people who still call AK variants "those commie rifles" as well as people who remember the initial issues with the M16 and both will forever be junk in their mind.

The AK is not "cheap". The original AK was designed to be inexpensive, very robust and very reliable, which they very nicely live up to. Unfortunately times have changed and inexpensive is but a fleeting memory in the land of shall not be infringed. In other places in the world, AKs of the types we are not allowed to buy can be had for very little. I had a friend in the sandbox laugh when he told me he could get and AK for a loaf of bread and a chicken. Unfortunately he wouldn't be able to bring it home, but inexpensive as per design.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    They are what they are. 1500 for an AK? Not me. I have not ever handled a big buck AK. I am sure they are nice. Imo what makes AK's nice is their cheap price combined with its reliability. Without the two combined together I am not interested. Besides it is a commie gun. Silk purse from a sows ear is what they say ain't it?

Top Bottom