• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    Well lets just say this is my first AR build. I dont really know jack about ARs and this thread will show it lol. im hoping for some advice from some of you oh wise ones who know there ARs. I bought a custom lower from Sniper Co. and its darn nice. Will post a photo after this rant. Its a 5.56/223 lower and i know if its a 5.56 lower it can chamber and fire 223. That is what i want to go for, like my revovlers i like being able to shoot two differeant rounds out of the same firearm. Now my main question i just learned they sell lower reciver kits and i didnt know this thought i had to part it up. im looking at Lower Parts Kit, AR-15 i am not sure if its 5.56 or 223 or dose this kit now specify its the upper that picks the calabier? I wanted to part out the upper but i found a nice upper that's black and white not sure its caliber still need to go check on it. if its 5.56 im going to put it on hold. I know this part kit dosnt come with the buffer or tube and some other stock things. if anyone can give me a heads up on what all i need to get after the upper and lower part kit i would appreciate it. Im normally a AK fan and i figured this would get be some more respect and knowledge to the AR guys/gals. Thanks in advance.

(should add that i am Aiming at making this a long range rifle scoped and all that. I have my AK for CQB)

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I'm kind of new to the AR game as well, have my first "build" under my belt, so not an expert by any means, but I believe you can pick any AR-15 LPK, 5.56/223 makes no difference as far as the lower goes. AR-15.com is an excellent resource - the parts shortage earlier this year forced me to read a bunch before buying anything else. You might look at Palmetto State Armory - they've got decent deals on Lower Build Kits that include everything you need to finish your lower, just stick your upper on and go.

Lower Build Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15

I believe they've also got complete kits that include the upper, and seem to be a good quality brand. Probably have some good deals for this weekend.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    5.56 vs .223 is determined entirely by the barrel you purchase. recommend .223 wylde chambers first (they are considered safe w/ either), 5.56 second. not much reason for a straight .223rem chamber, imo.

some light reading:
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/
    .223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO: What You Don't Know Could Hurt You | Human Events

as far as what parts you need and how they go together, everything you need to know is here:
    http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

-rvb

Last edited:

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Nothing you do to the lower has any bearing on the caliber, unless perhaps you need a real light buffer and spring for something. That's a no-tools swap. The upper determines the caliber, and the number of calibers available that'll drop onto a standard lower easily runs into the twenties. I also would go with the Wylde for 5.56/.223, I have a couple of them around here, but 5.56 does just fine. Of course, I could probably hold all the .223 I have in one hand, while I doubt I could lift all the 5.56.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    well here is a update. Used a DPMS lower part kit installed
    I built my first lower during the AR madness this past winter, and I also used a DPMS LPK, as it was all I could find at retail pricing. How is your trigger? Mine was terrible! Long, heavy, and gritty! After about 500 rounds, it still hadn't smoothed out, so I swapped it for a mil-spec take-off from another rifle, and it was WAAAAY better! Just curious if it was simply luck of the draw, or if all their triggers are terrible.
    If you end up building your upper, instead of buying a complete one, and need AR tools, I'll happily help. (I'm out East of New Haven) I have the vice block, barrel nut wrenches, torque wrench, etc! (Upper is really just as easy to build as the lower, just requires more tools!)

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    Way over due update lol. been a while since i been on here. well its put together and firing fine. still need to sight it in and see where shes hitting. it didnt blow up so i say i didnt do so bad for my first AR build.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Now that you have that first one done the only problem you might have is wanting to do it again.......and again........and again. Anyway, congratulations. :thumbsup:

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    Naw ShootnCut i still prefer my AK. Just did this to say i did it. may sell it later or trade it later down the road. till then will be a fun plinker. Good luck HardKnox i thought it was going to be hard, but it wasn't. i learned alot about them.

308offate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Very nice, but as stated previously once you do one, your probably going to start thinking of things to do differently.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Now that you have that first one done the only problem you might have is wanting to do it again.......and again........and again. Anyway, congratulations. :thumbsup:

Ya.......like 12 times..........don't tell the wife!

Top Bottom