• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am close to finishing my first ar15 build. I want to also pick up an AK to have to shoot as well. I don't have much background with them, so I am curious what everyone recommends as far as manufacturers? Anything specifically that I need to look for before purchasing?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Arsenal Inc.

Molot Vepr

Zastava PAP

Converted Saiga

All are considered some of the best on the current AK market. I have 2 Arsenals and an unconverted Saiga.

Century WASR AKs are cheap and usually run pretty good but can have problems like canted sights and rivets that aren't secured properly.

Right now in the Classifieds there is Chinese MAK 90 and that is one of the best AKs you can buy. I have dealt with the guy selling it and he is a real good guy to deal with and he is asking a very reasonable price for his AK. If I had the extra cash I would be all over it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns-rifles-shotguns/317247-norinco-mak90.html

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am probably leaning more towards a 47, but I am not ruling out a 74. I did see the classified ad that kawtench87 mentioned. It definitely caught my attention.

Seriously if I had the cash I would be making a road trip to Evansville. Or since he is planning to come up to the 1500 maybe you could arrange to meet him there. I would.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I am probably leaning more towards a 47, but I am not ruling out a 74. I did see the classified ad that kawtench87 mentioned. It definitely caught my attention.

There are plenty of good deals to be found regarding 47's
    I'd stay away from wasr 10's unless the owner let's you fire it previous to purchase. A lot of them have bad mag wobble due to the single stack to double stack mag well conversion... basically the mag well is widened to accept double stack. I've had bad feed problems with 2 previously CIA Romanian's... lots of jamming.

Ak47 wise, of look into Egyptian Maadi's, or converted Saiga's. An arsenal is basically just a converted Saiga with the Arsenal stamp thrown on, give or take a few other features like the finish coat. Like stated before. The MAK90 is a quality AK as well. Chinese AK's are surprising reliable.

traditional 74 wise... a converted saiga and the Waffen are my favorites.
    The finish on the Waffen Werks is the best I've ever seen on an AK. Very very durable and attractive. they use a guality GunKote.

Stay away from CIA import 74's. A lot of times they cheap out and put a 5.56 barrel on their products instead of an actual 5.45 like the top brands use.
    Key holeing is a big issue when 5.45 is shot out of a 5.56 (tumbling end over end).
    If you are near Indy, I know a private FFL that works out of his house that can order a Warren for below most new listing prices.

Also when you get into AK's make sure to buy quality mags... buy Tapco, surplus mags, etc... a lot of the really cheap ones will have issues with feeding.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    An arsenal is basically just a converted Saiga with the Arsenal stamp thrown on, give or take a few other features like the finish coat..

This is not an entirely true statement. The SLG series are converted Saigas but the SLR series uses all Bulgarian made receivers and parts with the obvious exceptions to meet 922r compliance. The new SAM series are built on Bulgarian made milled receivers, the previous ones used US made milled receivers and they use all new Bulgarian made parts except the 922r compliance parts.

Also Tapco is not a high quality AK mag. They are middle of the road at best. Bulgarian Circle 10, Russain Tula and Izmash Bakelite mags, and US Palm are high quality AK mags.

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    This is not an entirely true statement. The SLG series are converted Saigas but the SLR series uses all Bulgarian made receivers and parts with the obvious exceptions to meet 922r compliance. The new SAM series are built on Bulgarian made milled receivers, the previous ones used US made milled receivers and they use all new Bulgarian made parts except the 922r compliance parts.

Also Tapco is not a high quality AK mag. They are middle of the road at best. Bulgarian Circle 10, Russain Tula and Izmash Bakelite mags, and US Palm are high quality AK mags.

You're right, I completely spaced the SLR's. I've heard about the SAM's, haven't researched them yet, but from what I've heard, they're some damn good AK's.

Tapco isn't the best, very right, but truthfully, I've never had any problem with any Tapco I've ever ran in an AK 47 (where any other mag would jam, I'm assuming because the tapco run a little more wide than other mags), or in my 74's. They have always functioned just as well as my Bakelite, surplus, and US Palm mags. You can definitely feel a quality difference by holding them and inspecting them, but I've never once had a malfunction running a tapco in an AK. Thats a different story when we're speakin AR's however haha.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The biggest problem with Tapco mags is the lack of metal reinforcement on the locking lugs and feed lips. Unlike AR mags, ones for the AK need beefed up in these areas for a long reliable life.

As far as AK's go, I'm partial to Arsenal. But there are many great builds out there from a variety of builders. Century builds are very common. Not all suck, but many do. Things I would look for are straight sights / gas block, secure rivets, matching numbers, and a chrome lined barrel when given the option.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Tapco isn't the best, very right, but truthfully, I've never had any problem with any Tapco I've ever ran in an AK 47

I never said there was anything particularly wrong with Tapco mags, except what Tradertator pointed out. The pure polymer construction is what causes premature wear and breakage. I have also had trouble with weak springs on some of my older Tapco mags. They would fail to push the rounds high enough to get picked up by the bolt and would cause tip down FTF on occasion. New springs fixed the issues. New Tapco mags I have all have noticeably stiffer springs and I have had no trouble with them. They are good range mags.

If you ever get the chance to play with an Arsenal SAM7-SF84 (currently this is the same set up, only semi auto, used by Bulgaria for their army) you will know why more non-NATO countries buy Arsenal made Bulgarian AKs for their army than any other newly manufactured AK on the market.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    :horse:

Are Arsenal Ak's as good as my uncles brothers roomates Wasr sniper akm 98 28 100054r
    I couldnt find it in the search...

Ohh purple!!!

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    :horse:

Are Arsenal Ak's as good as my uncles brothers roomates Wasr sniper akm 98 28 100054r
    I couldnt find it in the search...

Ohh purple!!!

:dunno::smileak:

Truth be told most AKs imported into the US are de-neutured and chopped and hacked together by people who do not care, Century. And we end up with an inferior product to what a 13 yo boy in the middle east can by with the change in his pocket at a bizzare as a result.

Arsenal Bulgaria imports their rifles in sporting configuration to Arsenal Inc. Las Vegas. There they are de-nuetured and put together correctly with all newly manufactured numbers matching parts. The end result of this is the closest thing we as Americans can buy to an actual "battle ready" AK. Zastava Serbia makes a good rifle too but they are again Century imports and are subject to Century's lack of QC.

Arsenal gets a lot of crap for their business practices, thier ad campains, high prices, snobby attitude, etc... And rightly so they deserve it. Their customer service SUCKS! But when put side by side My Arsenal SLR-107 against any other currently available "new" stamped AK out there. The build quality difference is noticeable.

Last edited:

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    For me a Century underfolder was the way to go. My intent was not to use it for hunting, self-defense or home defense. It's my toy and so much fun to use. I've shot about 500 rounds without a problem and surprisingly accurate. I replaced the wood for quad rails, added a reflex sight, and for plinking 50 yards or less, it's a blast.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'll make this as simple an answer as you will get. You can pay $400-1000 for a rifle that about 95% of the time will give you reliable 200 meter accuracy, passable 250 meter accuracy and if you are really good 300 meter accuracy. Most any of them will run like a raped ape, regardless of make. I used to own six of them, but got tired of mediocre accuracy from the best of the lot. I now run rifles that I can commonly find reloading components for.

Top Bottom