• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    That is pretty wild looking. Love the english stock. $800 seems a bit steep to figure exactly how it works though, especially in that condition.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My interest was more why.

Why a thumb trigger?

I thought at first it might have been a custom gun for a person missing a finger.
    Then I saw a half of a page of entries on GunBroker for the same rifle, and parts for it.
    Not one listed in a different configuration, which leads me to believe it was a factory offering.

Again though, why?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It is the Winchester model 99 I believe. An idea that never took off. Like all older winchesters it is collectable and that model did not sell all that many copies. If it was 800 that is average to under average in price. The ones I have seen for sale were closer to 1000.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for posting. These are the kinds of posts I really appreciate. Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

Futaro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Hagerstown
    I actually own one, and in far better shape than many I've seen. Mine's the 1914-1916 manufacturing run, all original and if needed, a daily shooter still. My 10 year old uses it quite a bit as it's size is a perfect fit for him. The factory sights are dead-on, a fairly decent shooter could drive nails with it at 50 feet.
    The thumbtrigger concept was based on the idea that trigger pull might affect the rifle's aim, according to an e-mail I received from a Winchester museum curator, and it was indfeed intended as a youth model. To fire it, you pull the firing pin assembly to the rear until it latches in the trigger, then push down on the trigger to release it. You can see the "catch" on the trigger in the photos.
    This rifle was hanging in my Grandfather's barn as his all-around varmit-plinking-burning ammo rifle. I didn't know what it was until he passed away and I was given it, and took it to a reputable gun store to be cleaned up. The owner had never seen one, neither had the gunsmith ,so we started a whole lot of Googling in the store.
    22Ttrigger2.jpg

22Ttrigger.jpg

22Ttrigger3.jpg

Last edited:

Futaro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Hagerstown
    I really had no idea it was anything special until the trip to the local gun shop. I grew up shooting it over the course of my 44 years, and killed many, many Lite beer cans with it. I was told the only thing hurting any value to it ( it's priceless to me, and can't be bought ) is that Grandpa would use steel wool and WD40 whenever it got a little rust on it, and wore the blue off and left some minor scratches. I was informed that they are rare because they were cheaply made and cheaply sold, with cheap pine or poplar stocks prone to splitting ( mine has no splits, just dings from use ), many just didn't last through the years and broke down or the stocks broke. As I said, we still shoot it today, and my 10 year old has taken more than a few squirrels and rabbits with it. It hung on a couple of pegs with another rifle ( which turned out to an Arisaka type 38 ) that was never fired and never talked about...I have it as well, though the stock was cut down at some point ( Grandpa was a Pacific Theater WW2 veteran )
    A3.jpg

It isn't complete, either, the clip box and firing pin are missing, but still a neat piece of history. I don't know if he cut the stock down and removed the innards, or if he brought it home that way, the Imperial chrysanthemum is obliterated so it was probably a souvenir he brought back. My cousin got the piece I'd love to have, his M1 carbine, but all in all, I'm happy to have what I have.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really had no idea it was anything special until the trip to the local gun shop...

That's the way it goes most of the time.
    When an "old-timer" passes and the family/friends don't know what he had.

I picked up a type 99 Arisaka (7.7Jap) a few years ago, with an INTACT mum and anti-aircraft sights. They lady saidthe family and friends told her they didn't want it, and it wasn't worth anything. She asked for $35. I gave her $75 for it. She also had a Norinco SKS that the same family and friends again told her was worth nothing. She asked $30, my brother gave her $75.
    She had a Marlin model 90 O/U 12ga. She wanted $50 for it, I gave her $100

There was more, but you get the idea.
    Do yourself and your loved ones a favor. Let them know what it is you have to pass on. Let them know about the history, the legacy, and the value, both sentimental and monetary.
    Family may decide to go ahead and get rid of what you leave, but at least they won't be in the dark.

Those are some great old guns.
    Thanks for posting.

Futaro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Hagerstown
    Well crud. Since I've been bragging on it, an ambush divorce may force me to sell it. Hate to see it go but I like my house a lot more than my rifle and lawyers aren't cheap. Anyone have a reliable price guide for something like this?

Top Bottom