• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Start by reading some of the same type of threads ;)

Here is one about "buy or build" from the other day.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/320451-build-ar-buy-one.html

We need a sticky thread on this topic since it comes up so often. :yesway:

Research

Research

Plan

Some say build, it's cheaper. In a sense yes it is, but not if you are going to be able to put small amounts of money into each purchase. Shipping costs need to be thought of too. Many times it cost as much to pay shipping on a small item as it does to pay to ship a complete upper.

Save up to be able to make a major purchase to save on shipping.

Tools are going to be needed. Make sure you plan for that also.

All parts are not created equal. Avoid buying parts at gun shows that are not in factory packaging.
    A lower parts kit in a "baggie" for $10 cheaper than a name brand in a package is no bargain.
    There are a TON of parts being made in China, be careful. Buy from a dealer you trust.

Don't sell yourself short on your AR just to be able to hang "accessories" on it. I'd rather see someone with a limited budget put their money into better parts than to buy lessor quality parts so that they can hang cheap lights/lasers, grip pods, ect. on it.

Buy or build it's up to you, if you have the knowledge and patience, building from scratch can be a lot of fun.
    Just remember to research before you buy. Buy once, cry once.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Prices on complete ARs are coming back to reality. There are lots of rifles out there that can be had at good prices. I have been seeing lots of Colts in the case at Walmart for $1100.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I've built one so far. What I learned is to take you time and have the proper tools. If you get stuck or frustrated take a break, there are a bunch of good sources and videos out there to help you if you are having trouble.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    It all depends on wht you want? A heavy bench gun, lightweight 14.5"-16" etc. These guys have some good info on parts. Not much on the uppers but alot of good info.
    AR Facts | The AR Guys
    Just dont cheap out on a bolt carrier group "bcg" thats basically the heart of an AR

Last edited:

mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Stay away from the AR57 lower, lpk won't fit and is a sloppy fit with the upper. At least this was my personal experience with it.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Prices on complete ARs are coming back to reality. There are lots of rifles out there that can be had at good prices. I have been seeing lots of Colts in the case at Walmart for $1100.

Some people (including OP, judging by his "give me something to do" comment) want the satisfaction of building it themselves.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I have built several so far. A few tips:

1. Determine what you want this gun for. IE-bench shooting, a shorter lighter carbine, competition shooting, etc.
    2. Determine a budget. You can build a basic carbine for easily under 700 dollars with some of the Christmas sales coming up. Or you can go high end, and spend 2k pretty easy.
    3. be patient, and research what your interested in.

Enjoy! I have not built an upper yet, I have found complete uppers suited to what I wanted.

Top Bottom