• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I finally got a grip to complete my rifle. My plan was to completely sponge paint the rifle but i didnt do the grip and buttstock because i didnt have the grip yet. I still may paint them both but i kinda like it the way it is now. Here are a few pics to start off with. The lighting wasnt the way i wanted it to be so i might try some outside tomorrow. The paint is Kryloleum. Anyway what do you all think so far? Should i paint the grip and buttstock also or leave it be?
    10879488686_db8cb910cb_b.jpg

10879632894_3bb56772e9_b.jpg
    Well since this is a new build i will list details.
    Psa lightweight 16" chrome hammer forged barrel 1:7 twist
    MI 12" free float rail
    Wmd nickel boron bcg
    Bravo co mod 4 charging handle
    RR 2 stage trigger
    Magpul k2 grip
    Magpul ctr stock
    Magpul bus sights
    Burris xtr 1-4
    Burris pepr mount
    Delton lower
    Viking vtac multicam sling with qd mounts

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's cool! If you painted the grip, would it feel "funny" in your hand? I'm not sure what the texture is like.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Was there any certain pattern or scheme you were going for or is that something you came up with ? Either way I'm diggin it . Is there a youtube video on how to do that?

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Kryloleum is part krylon "until i ran out" and part rust-oleum. I painted the whole gun khaki then did some OD green stripes. Then spray some khaki in a plastic bowl and dip the sponge and dab the sponge over the OD green. Then spray some OD green in a bowl and dab it with a sponge and go over the khaki with the green. Then i mixed some brown with khaki to make a light brown in a bowl and dabbed it a over everything. I made a few different shades of brown by mixing the two. It will chip if you knock it real hard on something but seems to be holding up well. The shell deflector is chipping a bit but a little black in camo is normal. The good thing about it is there is no real pattern so its very hard to mess up and to touch it up just grab a sponge or a Q-tip and dab it. I always wanted to paint a rifle and it took me 2 weeks to build up the nerve to do it. I even taped off the very small magnification numbers on the scope so they are still visible if you look in one of the close up pics. I didnt like the rust-oleum brown or OD green so i used krylon OD and brown. The khaki was very close between the two brands withthe rustoleum having just a touch more of a tanish color. The rust-oleum OD greeb was to bright for my taste and the brown was almost black. I would really like to do a gun with khaki and coyote brown and use fde furniture. That would be tough to beat in the fall. I think this gun would look a little better with an OD green handle and stock. That would be a good excuse to paint another one khaki and brown and switch the furniture:) It blends in very well.

Last edited:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Thats a gorgeous look! Now I wanna do a 450 Bushmaster build and sponge paint it like that! I also think you should paint the stock, but i wouldnt be 100% about the grip....after all itll be in your hand most of the time. Im also curious of the caliber?

Top Bottom