Master

Drilling and Tapping the Remington 1100/1187/870 for Scope rail

Well I finally got my friend talked into getting rid of those ugly loose saddle mounts on his Remington 1100. I just dont understand how it is even possible for those saddle mounts to keep a scope true and never move. You tighten the saddle mount too tight and it squeezes the shotgun receiver and locks the bolt up. You keep the screws loose and it flops the scope all over the place. Simple solution....Drill and Tap the receiver for a weaver rail like you would a rifle. My buddy opted for the high mount see thru rings so he can "see" the sights even though he is blinder than a bat and can only physically see the front sight. (the rear is either a blurr or just is not there)

You will need: #31 carbide drill bit, #6-48 quality plug tap, Weaver #62 rail (comes with the #6-48 screws and is actually for a Remington 742/760) and I used a Williams Scope Mount Drill Fixture. Williams Scope Mount Drill Fixture Great tool and it found center for me perfectly. Comes with drill bushings to keep alignment of drill bit and tap so you can use a cordless drill instead of a drill press.

Only things to note are that the barrel tang on the 1100/1187 go into the receiver pretty far (3 7/8") so the front 2 rail mounting screws protude too far thru the receiver and would interfere with the barrel tang going all the way into the receiver so they must be ground shorter. The rear 2 are no problem since the receiver is actually almost 2x as thick as the length of the screws. The Remington 870 barrel is substantially shorter so the tang intereference should not exist. You will find on the net that there is supposedly not enough metal toward the front of the receiver where the 2 front rail screws need to be on the 1100/1187. Ive found that not to be true. There is plenty of room to tap enough threads to clamp the scope rail to the receiver.

Pics coming soon.
    A leader is useless when lost.

$118.00+Shipping for the drill fixture I hope you charged him to do the job. Seems like a Gunsmith would do the job for less than the fixture cost.
    "If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
    Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
    And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind."
    Major Michael Davis O'Donnell KIA 7 Feb 1978

Sharpshooter
    That fixture can be reused again and again.... until you run out of friends with shotguns needing drilled. A guy I worked with part time, also worked at a gun shop and bought one to make some side money. Shop owner shut him down since he wasn't a licensed smith and if he fubar-ed a gun the shop owner was afraid of being held responsible for the damages.
    I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom...you keep the "change".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PGRChaplain View Post
    $118.00+Shipping for the drill fixture I hope you charged him to do the job. Seems like a Gunsmith would do the job for less than the fixture cost.
    Actually I wanted the tool in case I decide to start drilling and tapping my own rifles and shotguns but $118 is chump change. Its the miling machine and the building a new house next year thats gonna cost me.

Williams shop (the tool maker) charge around $120 for the job.
    And No I did not "charge him"..... He is a friend, thats what friends do and thats how I roll.
    A leader is useless when lost.

Master
    Unless he has a raised comb the high rings will cause him to raise his cheek off the stock. Then again he was doing that with the saddle mount too. FYI but the old Bsquare saddle mounts are rock solid because they are on both sides of the receiver but a rail is better. Nothing wrong with moving him out of the 70's and into the 90's.

You know in regards to the barrel hood under the screws back when shotgun accuracy became the new "thing" some people pinned their barrels. This gave even more precise return to zero when tossing on the slug barrel and tighter groups. I am sure you can find info on it and it sounds like you might take an interest in it. You may already know this stuff, just sharing in case you don't.
    Molon Labe, its more than just a T-shirt.

Use a Sportsman 12 auto, they were round top, gets you a couple more threads.

One a dedicated deer rig, one can use screws and epoxy to secure the base.

Or go with one that screws in at an angle

SHOTGUN SCOPE MOUNT | Brownells

When I did my shotguns I just bought the Weaver base, dimensioned it with a high mag Nikon metrology scope (at work), and then made a drawing, used a milling machine.

BTW, I know a guy with a mill that does 4 holes for about $50

(aint me but I'm just saying some guys do good work and don't charge a kidney).

Hunting season I suppose they might be backlogged and moving ahead in the line with a quicker job might demand a premium.
    Last edited by Hookeye; 11-18-2013 at 20:44.
    Branded sexist. Labelled racist. Want it clearer? Check the mirror.

Plinker
    I have been thinking of doing this forever. I now have access to a milling machine and am thinking about finally actually doing it. How deep did you drill the holes?

Thanks,
    Brian

My guess is that all holes are through holes.
    I've done a few 870's and 500's...............never a blind hole.
    Branded sexist. Labelled racist. Want it clearer? Check the mirror.