• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, you've been busy being all tactical, combing your beard, affecting That Look in the mirror in your baseball hat, studying for the upcoming Sunglasses Selection Phase, working on a cool catch phrase while on the range, practicing your tactical yell, wondering which ubercool carbine will make you even more tactical, but did you know that FNH-USA just announced civilian sales of the AR-15? Yes, that's right, the FN-15.

Perhaps the sales slogan will be "FN, better late than never!"

FN Announces They Will Begin Selling The New FN-15 To The public - The Firearm Blog

Last edited:

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    ...And while no one was looking or even cared, some of those FN-15 parts were being made right here in Indiana.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    :dunno:

Anything special about them other than the FN name badge? No? Oh... OK. Yippee I guess. Always room for one more. Now all we need is another 1911 manufacturer and another Glock copy and we should be good right?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anything special about them other than the FN name badge? No? Oh... OK. Yippee I guess. Always room for one more. Now all we need is another 1911 manufacturer and another Glock copy and we should be good right?

Think about it this way, my friend, because of the wind down in the Middle East, FNH must put this capacity to work.

FN, a Big Player, releasing a flood of AR-15s upon the market will keep costs down for all of us, including young INGOers looking for a "good deal" on his first AR.:D

I take this as very good news for the gun culture as a whole.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    A 20incher would be nice.

I do like the simple old school look of the full length rifle. If the price is right then I would think about picking one up.

Think about it this way, my friend, because of the wind down in the Middle East, FNH must put this capacity to work.

FN, a Big Player, releasing a flood of AR-15s upon the market will keep costs down for all of us, including young INGOers looking for a "good deal" on his first AR.:D

I take this as very good news for the gun culture as a whole.

I understand your point. And a flood of quality cheap ARs can never be a bad thing. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about another AR coming to market.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Gotta keep the beard combed! Gets all bushy and tangled if you don't!

Whenever I get around to buying an AR I'll be looking at this one, if they ever hit the shelves anytime soon....

Jon

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Gotta keep the beard combed! Gets all bushy and tangled if you don't!

Wife walked in the bathroom the other morning as I was getting ready for work. I combed my hair, and then the beard. She chuckled and said, you COMB your beard? In my best high pitched, lispy voice I said, well duh girl, did you think "THIS" happens all by itself?

Well that, and it helps hide the gray.:(

So, at $1100ish, is this as good of a rifle as say a Sig M400? Or a DD V7? Too soon to tell? Maybe after I complete the Sunglasses Selection Phase, there will be more info available.:cool:

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    With a new AR company a week all pushing the same rifle why? In THEORY it would drive prices down...yet as far as I can tell, it isn't. Push the envelope on design a little, SEEKINS pushed a new design lower that is a simple tweak that looks pretty awesome, although Iv read that it's not mil spec thus not working without mods on some things. Iv seen it on a LWRC lower I think, that they had both mag release and bolt release on right side. If it's just another M4 forgery I don't see the point.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    . If it's just another M4 forgery I don't see the point.

This is the reason I am drawn more to the full rifle length version. It seems every other company is pushing out M4 (carbine length) clones as fast as they possibly can. I hardly see anyone put out a full rifle length AR-15 that isn't a "Predator Hunter" model any more. I like the classic look of it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    :dunno:

Yea FN knows nothing about building AR's. They have only been building M16's for over 20 years and parts for M16 & AR's for years before that.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My PSA A4 upper shoots like a dream, I couldn't be happier with it. I have heard that PSA gets their goods from FN but who knows. I think they are a little late into the AR game but FN makes quality products and I don't see why they wouldn't do well.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm a huge FN fan and I currently own 3 FN guns (PS90, FNX 45 Tactical, and SCAR 16s), but I'm not sure I see the point here. The market is pretty saturated with ARs and I don't see the distinguisher on this. I'm sure it will be quality, but so are a lot of other ones.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yea FN knows nothing about building AR's. They have only been building M16's for over 20 years and parts for M16 & AR's for years before that.

:rolleyes:

The sarcasm and the attempted lesson on FN's history of manufacturing ARs. Yeah, neither of them were needed. Thanks though!

My point was, what sets these apart from Colt, S&W, DD, WW, PSA, Del-Ton, DSA, DPMS, and the slew of other ARs on the market? True I can see the advantage of FNH having everything made in house to assure QC, and their history of building M16s for the US and other countries gives them ample experience in that regard. But it is still just another plain-Jane AR on the shelf. Mil spec or Mil spec+, has pretty much become the industry standard so they really don't have that leg to stand on either, its just another AR.

I am still having a hard time getting excited over just another AR on the shelves. YMMV :) have a nice day.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    :rolleyes:
    My point was, what sets these apart from Colt, S&W, DD, WW, PSA, Del-Ton, DSA, DPMS, and the slew of other ARs on the market? True I can see the advantage of FNH having everything made in house to assure QC, and their history of building M16s for the US and other countries gives them ample experience in that regard. But it is still just another plain-Jane AR on the shelf. Mil spec or Mil spec+, has pretty much become the industry standard so they really don't have that leg to stand on either, its just another AR.

I am still having a hard time getting excited over just another AR on the shelves. YMMV :) have a nice day.

This. I think they would be better served by increasing production of the SCAR series, which seem to made of unobtanium considering how long I was looking for one for a non-crazy price, and bring their price point down sub $2000. They should also update the FS2000 (which I also own, so up my FN total to 4 and rate my memory to just shy of Alzheimer's) to improve the mag well and trigger, to make it more competitive with the other popular bullpups.

Sure building ARs is probably simpler, but it's not going to make them a bigger name.

Now, if HK started producing the MR556A1 for an MSRP of $1500 or less, that would get a lot of excitement in the AR world. Another plain jane DI AR, even from FN, isn't going to do it.

Top Bottom