Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New model Ruger Mini-14 in 7.62x39 mm

Hi guys and girls;
    Does anyone have the newest current model of the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch or All-Weather rifle in 7.62x39 mm caliber?
    I have been looking for one in 6.8 mm SPC, but after reading up on it I have decided to pass and I'm not too excited about the 5.56, .223 version either. So that just leves the 7.62x39 mm version.
    I just cannot get interested in any of the AR-15 type rifles.
    If you have or have shot a Ruger Mini-14 in 7.62x39 mm, what is your opinion of the combo?
    I know, I could read the press reports but I'd like to hear from an average user.
    Have a great week everybody.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

Ever consider a good AK in 7.62x39?

Sharpshooter
    mini -14 is 223.mini -30 is what youre talking about.correct me if i am wrong.i have a stainless mini-14,not accurate,3 in. group at 100 yards.

3 inch groups at 100 yards is not accurate?

I had a mini 14 ranch rifle. I would have loved to have gotten a 3in group! Needless to say it was just an ammo burner and I traded it off. I am a ruger fan but I just didn't care for that rifle.......

I've got a friend that has the new "current" All Weather model with the new front sight, among other things.

So far it shoots S&B into about 2.5", Wolf into about 3", and quality reloads using IMI or Winchester brass and Hornady 123's into 2" - with the rare group at 1.5".

I keep thinking I'll slug the bore, but never remember to bring the sinkers with me.

Its reliable with the factory Ruger mags. Not so much with the aftermarkets, but there hasn't been any work to fit them either.

I've bought a couple of the older ones over the years, never did get one that would shoot even fairly consistently less than 3". 5-6" groups were the norm for anything off the shelf. They had .308" groove barrels with a LONG .310 throat. The newer of the two had quite a taper to the throat, the older one was as straight as an arrow.

To the original OP, Flightsimmer, the problem that most run into with the Mini-30 (the Mini-14 in the 7.62x39 caliber configuration) is that is is difficult to find magazines for the Mini-30. When they can be found they are usually quite expensive. Lastly, accuracy is usually no better than can be found in a decent AK47, which shoots the same round. On the other hand, until the recent political situation developed, an AK-47 clone could be found for around $400, and the magazines were almost always reliable, relatively cheap, and plentiful. A lot of people are hoping that the gun buying frenzy slows or stops so that prices start to approach those that we are used to seeing.
    To answer your original question, I have not personally shot one, and only know of one other friend who owned one. He liked it, but traded it off for reasons unknown.
    With great power comes great responsibility. ~ Uncle Ben Parker

i am not really a fan of the Mini 14's either... they just feel cheap to me... not trying to piss anyone off... my uncle had one for less than a week when the rear peep sight FELL off.... not very accurate, not alot of aftermarket stuff available for them, and all sorts of bad press on them.... just my .02

Hi Guys;

Yes, I guess it is called a Mini-thirty Ranch rifle when chambered in 7.62x39 mm isn't it?

I haven't considered an AK-47 type because it's not really my kind of rifle either. I'm not looking for a rifle to fire the 7.62x39 mm round in particular, I'm looking for a rifle that's if nothing else very much like the Ruger Mini because of it's size and design and handyness. It's not cheaply made but it is affordable and I'm sure that they have done there best to make it accurate because that's what sells rifles and handguns.

I'm a Garand/M1A kind of guy and have both but I'm looking for something smaller and lighter but just as accurate with similar design characteristics. But honestly I think I'm asking too much. I do have a Model 92' lever action in 45 Colt but that's not quit it either.

The Mini has had accuracy issues and that's apparently why they came out with the heavy tuneable barrel sleeve but from my experiance with the M1A it just might be partly a bedding issue.

My M1A shot 4"-5" groups at 100 yds. untill I glass bedded it and they shrank to 5/8"-3/4" consistantly.

From reading the press on the newest and latest Ruger Mini they seem to think the accuracy has improved but I wanted to check with actual owners to see if was true first.

The Mini is not like the 10/22 in that there are not a lot of aftermarket items for them. The 10/22 can be made very very accurate. Mine shoots dime size 10 shot groups at 75 yds. indoors, the longest range I've been too so far. But I haven't heard such things about the Mini yet.

Ah well, the search goes on. But then isn't that half the fun.

Have a great week guys.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

There's always an AR in 7.62x39 or I highly recommend the CZ-527 for a bolt gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast