• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I got bored today with the crappy weather, so started thinking of a new wood stock for grandson's takedown 10/22. I will begin posting progress pictures tomorrow and will welcome any tips, hints, and yes even criticism of the process. I thought the first stock would be an old birch from a previous take off, however, while making the first cut, quickly smelled walnut sawdust and discovered that I already had a walnut stock. It was finished much lighter than walnut, but that will be fixed once all the cutting and trimming is done. So far so good. Here is a side by side for comparison.
    layout_zps7078bf01.jpg

Last edited:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Now comes the hard part: eliminating the gap between the stock and fore-grip and cutting the holes and inlets for the twist on barrel assembly.

Here is the gap everyone hates
    Nastygap_zpsbb7232a3.jpg

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    I did one of these last year. Take the material at the takedown release a little at a time , it is easy to go too deep and that throws off the for end alignment. I did one for practice with a birch stock. Then did another with walnut. Have fun makes the rifle feel better

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I did one of these last year. Take the material at the takedown release a little at a time , it is easy to go too deep and that throws off the for end alignment. I did one for practice with a birch stock. Then did another with walnut. Have fun makes the rifle feel better
    Thanks for the tip. I plan on setting this up on the router table and will make shallow passes at first and then test. I may or may not do the stock to match the takedown groove on the fore end. I'll just wait to see how it looks.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been wanting to do this since I bought my first one! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Great job!

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    You gonna get rid of that little nub + barrel band, too? ;)
    Hadn't given that much thought at this point. Probably not though. Gonna be tough enough just completing the fore end mount and then refinishing. I am going to replace the trigger group and I have a stainless barrel band. I will admit, looking at Indiucky's, it does look more attractive without it.

Last edited:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Sorry this is not done yet. Moving Dad to assisted living again, probably for the final time. May not get back to this soon. Saw another one by pharmboy, that looks promising. Hoped he would show some detail of the forend inletting. Back when I can.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sorry to here about your dad. Family is first. The gun will always be there. Best of luck. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Yes, he is 83 also but has Parkinson's . I'm only a couple of decades behind him, but knock wood, healthy.

Last edited:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    So, Ok, it's been over two years and I discovered this project in the shop this fall. Not wanting to delay any further, I rushed through the final stages in time for tree rat season and the results are not stellar as you can see from the pictures. It was an old beater stock from the beginning with many dings and chipped varnish and dented stock butt plate. In addition while drilling and inletting several additional stock chips flew off. I did not use the router to make the hole for the release stud as I was afraid of additional splitting of the forend. I used a dremel with wood carving bit and that removed way too much material for my liking, but it is easier to use my thumb on my non- shooting hand to move the lever for takedown. I also removed too much material inside the forearm and had to glue in a couple of walnut shims to make it fit the stock. End result, while not great looking, accomplished what I wanted and that is a rifle for carrying in the woods that won't be hurt from dropping, or me tripping and falling. The rifle is a flawless shooter, fits me and with the suppressor mounted is safe for my failing hearing. Don't judge me too harshly when looking through the pictures. I can always mount either of the two synthetic stocks I have for looks and just relegate the wood stock to the outdoors each fall. I still have to strip the finish, sand and apply walnut stain and poly.

Dad's doing well in assisted living, soon to be total care. Thanks for prayers.
    oops_zpsjcp4yy86.jpg

bottom_zpsvzt4v69j.jpg

takedown%20right_zpsbmdibvqe.jpg

Top Bottom