• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I know a couple on here have built their AR-15's and i have a question about my barrel selection.

I want my barrel to be around 16". Should i go with the 16" barrel or go with the 11.5" with the 5.5" flash hider? The plus with the 11.5" is that i could switch flash hiders and have a shorter barrel. Would there be a negative?

Here is the link to the 2 barrels im looking at, they are the top 2 on the list....the ones that are sold out.
    Colemantyler AR15web.com AR15 rifles & parts: BARRELS & PARTS

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Those "in the know" please correct me if I'm wrong. . .

But I believe it MUST be a minimum of 16" to be legal. Less than 16" and its considered 'Class 3', and you'll need the $200 tax stamp and paperwork. Now, IF the flash hider is permanently pinned to the barrel, I believe it would be considered the legal 16". But once you put on a shorter flash hider, it becomes illegal.

More common is the 14.5" barrel with permanently pinned 1.5" flash hider.

Again, anyone feel free to edit me here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I believe you are right but wouldnt the 5.5" flash hider make it legal?

I believe it would, as long as it was permanently attached. You made a comment about switching flash hiders, which would not be possible.

Its a cool look, I just don't know how much difference in performance there would be versus a 14.5" or 16".

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I know a couple on here have built their AR-15's and i have a question about my barrel selection.

I want my barrel to be around 16". Should i go with the 16" barrel or go with the 11.5" with the 5.5" flash hider? The plus with the 11.5" is that i could switch flash hiders and have a shorter barrel. Would there be a negative?

Here is the link to the 2 barrels im looking at, they are the top 2 on the list....the ones that are sold out.
    Colemantyler AR15web.com AR15 rifles & parts: BARRELS & PARTS
    You lose accuracy and velocity with the 11.5 + 5.5 combo. That flash hider is perminatly pinned/welded as well. If you do a 16" rifle do a 16" barrel that way you get the velocity with the accuracy. If your hell bent on removing the FH you had better send off $200 for a tax stamp or face the mandatory 10 years in the big federal pound me in the ass prison. Any more questions feel free to get ahold of me I can fill you in on NFA stuff. Or ars in general.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Awesome thats what i needed to know. Thanks! Those rules are dumb and screw the pound me in the ass prison or $200. I knew you had to have 16" but i didnt know if the shorter barrel with longer flash hider would be better or worst.

One last question, whats is the plus with going with the m16 bolt and carrier compared to the ar15 if any?

Having a hard time finding a positive answer on ar15.com

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Paul, I like you sig quotes. :)

I don't think you'll need the easier to convert to full auto M16 bolt. If you wanted to build a pound you in the ass federal offense full auto weapon then a lightning link could be dropped into the AR15 with the AR bolt. Ah, don't build one of those either. :nono::nono: I've heard chrome bolts work better but mine's a regular old black Colt.

I've seen regular 16" barrels out shoot heavy 20" bull barrels before so get the best brand air-gauged barrel you can afford. Unless you just want to build a plinker. Even a plinker should shoot <2" groups though.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    The m16 bolt does not make the rifle easier to convert, unless he has a machine shop with a end mill cutter, and several hours of free time. The Lightning link takes a Colt SP1 style bolt carrier any ways and is not similar to the m16 carrier or the ar15 style carrier.

ar15_sp1_m16carriers_sm.jpg

Top: Normal AR-15 Carrier
    Middle: Colt "SP1" style Carrier
    Bottom: M-16 Carrier

Now if he were to later down the road buy a Registered drop in auto sear he will be saving himself about $130 by already having the carrier. Plus the m16 carrier is perfectly legal to own in a ar15. Its the lower receiver parts that get you in trouble.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Finally my parts are being shipped. Some were on backorder, just need to get a couple more things. But after i get my lower receiver built, i will start a build thread. I cant wait till they come :rockwoot:

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Im just going to go with a 16in i believe. I still havent ordered it yet, looking around at my options still

Anything shorter than 20 inches will sacrafice velocity.
    That being said I like 16 inch barrels.Use a Wilson SS Bull with a Wylde chamber, you will be very pleased.

Top Bottom