• ...and so much more!
  • BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Hello!

I have an M1 Carbine and am trying to ascertain its value. Below is what I know about it and some pics.

Stamped on the Barrel.
    Inland MFG. Div.
    General Motors
    11-43

The receiver is also stamped Inland Div. There do not appear to be any stamps of any kind on the stock. Any help is appreciated.

10nays7.jpg
    [/IMG]

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    With regards to stamps on the stock. Did you check in the sling cut out? Some manufacturers stamped them there? From the picture I can tell you it has had post WWII additions put on it. I would ascertain its value based on the photo at around $550-$650. Not adding in the ammo or magazines(which the banana magazines are Korean war vintage or aftermarket?) Cannot tell from the picture? The magazine IN the rifle appears to be WWII. It should have a manufactures stamp on the flat back side? Hope this helps?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Well in that case. The stock is most likely a arsenal install put on sometime during the rifles post WWII re-build. Not un-common. If the bolt is flat on top it is a WWII bolt, if round then post WWII. I can see the stock is what they call "low wood". I do believe by your photos though, the stock is actually for a M1 carbine VS a M2 carbine. The M2 carbine was Korean war and had a "pot belly" shape in the forearm area and had full auto capability. The M2 stock will have a selector slot cut out in it to the left of the receiver. Seeing a M2 stock on a M1 is not un-common.Also yours has a flip safety which indicates post WWII change out. WWII configured carbines had a push button safety. Please don't misunderstand me, your rifle and some of its parts were made during WWII. No doubt(by your photo) your carbine went through a arsenal re-work after WWII and was "updated" for the times. Still a very nice shooter non the less.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Current bids on the CMP auction site are running $800-1300 for remanufactured and foreign service models. Gunbroker bids are starting around $650 but they may not be willing to sell for that price. New reproductions from Rock River Armory are running around $1100. Correct, marked versions are running 4x+ that price. On cheaperthandirt auto ordinance versions (new) are running $7-800.

What your weapon is worth is between you and any prospective buyer. And like looking at Blue Book car values it depends on whether you are dealing with retail or trade in. Any gun shop will discount the weapon and dicker, any face to face deal will bring something more like retail or current market value. Selling to a gun shop is more convenient, selling to a gun owner probably more profitable (depending on your negotiating and their enthusiasm).

I can say from personal experience that those 6 boxes of ammo (50 rnds ea.) are currently worth about 150-300 bucks depending on type and manufacturer. I just got some in that had been on back order since Dec of 2012...most places don't have any...

So, if the weapon functions correctly, even if it's not all original, I wouldn't take less than $700 for it because you couldn't replace it for that. With the extra mags and ammo you're approaching $1k.:twocents:

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    So, if the weapon functions correctly, even if it's not all original, I wouldn't take less than $700 for it because you couldn't replace it for that. With the extra mags and ammo you're approaching $1k.:twocents:[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with the above. I haven't seen a decent M1 carbine for less than $700 in a while. If I had your's to sell, with ammo and extra mags...I wouldn't let it go for less than $850.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Any wartime M1 carbine, arsenal refurb, or not, is a real piece of history. Yours is a great looking example. Take care of it and shoot it once in a while. You'll love owning it.
    (And I'm not at all influenced by the fact that mine is an Inland as well ) :):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Seeing a M2 stock on a M1 is not un-common.

I have actually seen M2s being displayed as M1s...I wonder how many were sold in surplus without the seller knowing the difference. If dealing in bulk I could see that happening quite easily. I found one in a local museum being displayed from a private collection. The visual differences are small.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Any wartime M1 carbine, arsenal refurb, or not, is a real piece of history. Yours is a great looking example. Take care of it and shoot it once in a while. You'll love owning it.
    (And I'm not at all influenced by the fact that mine is an Inland as well ) :):

That's also why I'd consider the prices recommended above to be a minimum only if you REALLY needed the money.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Oh yeah, if you don't have one already, buy a bolt assembly/ disassembly tool and use it! It will be worth every penny.
    I speak from experience...you can thank me later! :):

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It great piece of History ... of which more than 6 million were made from 1941 to 1945, at a cost of $45 each (about $600 in todays money).

Its value has esentially kept pace with inflation.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I got a great deal on one a few yrs. ago. A 11-42 Inland with original barrel in great shape. Welcome to the club!! CMP is almost out of them, only on auctions. So they will hold their value and only go up.

Attachments

• 13275.jpg
      13275.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 13

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    That's a fine looking carbine. I doubt I'd let that'n go even for a grand. You won't replace a WWII era with original receiver and barrel for any less.

IwoJimaM1Carbine.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Inland used LOTS of round bolts IN WWII, so a round bolt does not necessarily indicate a post WWII addition

It has been my understanding that yes round bolts were installed but very,very,very late in 1945. Infact so late that carbines with round bolts RARELY made it into the hands of GI's before the war ended. It is also my understanding that Winchester employed the round bolt...not Inland?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    It has been my understanding that yes round bolts were installed but very,very,very late in 1945. Infact so late that carbines with round bolts RARELY made it into the hands of GI's before the war ended. It is also my understanding that Winchester employed the round bolt...not Inland?

Inland and Winchester both used round bolts in WWII, and I believe one or two other manufacturers did as well. I have 100% matching Inand carbines from early 1945 that left the factory with round bolts. They were not "installed" at a later time. True, MOST carbines used in WWII DID have flat bolts.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Back in the 90's when the import carbines came in, I purchased 800 of them for $90 each. Each one came with a sling, an oiler, and an original 30 round magazine. I wish I would have just stuck them in a warehouse and held onto them until now. I got every maker, including a half dozen Irwin Petersons, an UnQuality, and some other really rare varieties. BTW, the M-1 Garands were $125 each.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Inland and Winchester both used round bolts in WWII, and I believe one or two other manufacturers did as well. I have 100% matching Inand carbines from early 1945 that left the factory with round bolts. They were not "installed" at a later time. True, MOST carbines used in WWII DID have flat bolts.

Good information. Thank you. However when I stated "installed" I were inferring that the round bolts were installed at time of manufacture. Not later. Bottom line is these are neat little rifles that offer collectors many ways to go. I like your later post about buying carbines at $90.00 apiece. Those were the days. Like you were suggesting. If one only knew then what we know now? wow! I lived in Colorado Springs in the early to mid 80's and one could buy carbines for $90.00 as well. There were racks and racks and racks and racks of them still in cosmoline. Buyers choice.

Top Bottom