Let's talk low-power variable optics - which do you like?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Thread update, see post #35: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ariable-optics-do-you-like-4.html#post5303476

I'm in the market for a low power (1-4x, 1-6x, etc). What do you like in this range? What have you used and had good results with? Do you have any good pictures?

My priorities:
    • Value. Budget will ideally be $200-$400 tops, but dollar figure is less important than bang for buck.
    • reticle & glass clarity
    • size/weight

How close it can get to true 1x is not that important to me. Illuminated reticle is not that important either.
    Intended use is target shooting at 200 yards or less.

Recommendations?

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Leupold's older Mark AR Mod1 1.5-4x20 are going for that price range. I have one and it is rock solid. You're partially buying the name, which may or may not be worth it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    very happy w/ my vortex 1-4. depending on use (eg 3-gun), you may prefer the capped turrets; you have the option of capped or not. It's a little more than your ideal budget (~$450).

reticle pics can be found all over the internet. very fast at true 1x, good glass. illumintated, but not very usable in day light.

imo, great bang for the buck.

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Exactly what RVB said... The runner up would be the Burris Tac30 1-4x...

very happy w/ my vortex 1-4. depending on use (eg 3-gun), you may prefer the capped turrets; you have the option of capped or not. It's a little more than your ideal budget (~$450).

reticle pics can be found all over the internet. very fast at true 1x, good glass. illumintated, but not very usable in day light.

imo, great bang for the buck.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

TR24s are very good options, but about double his stated $400 budget. glass isn't quite as nice as the vortex, esp along the edges, but the brightness of the reticle is a huge plus.

since we are doing pics, here's my 1-4 vortex pst....

46k6.jpg

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    If I'm realistic with myself I don't need this scope to be amazing, I just need it to get the job done. With that in mind, consider these two cheaper options. Thoughts?

Amazon.com : Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24mm Riflescope w/ V-Brite Reticle, Black CF2-31037 : Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zone-223-Reticle-Riflescope-Turrets/dp/B00ABP5UXG

Between those two I'd go with the Vortex, purely for the warranty. However, in general I am not a fan of BDC type reticles because they're calibrated to match the drop of a single, specific load. So if you use any other ammo at all that varies from the one the reticle is based on you just have to figure out the the drop you're going to get anyway. They strike me as a fad that won't last in the long run.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    IMO the PST is a better return on investment that the CS2. Yes its 2x the price, but in this case its more than 2x the quality. If you don't want to spend PST money the CS2 is a great option. Its just really hard to compare anything to the PST because the return on investment is just off the chart's.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    "Intended usage is target shooting at 200 yArds or less. "

I like more magnification than 4 x for target shooting. 6 power would be better and if I am going out to 200 10 x or higher.
    i think of target shooting more like bench rest shooting so maybe I am missing something. You do not need a higher power scope to shoot distance but I find it a welcome change. I know there are more targets than what I use but still like the ability to spot my shots location in the scope.

I remember last last easter at the farm when some tanerite was placed about 75 yards out. Bang bang bang reload reload reload went the AR's and the target remained intact. (Those boys need some training like an Appleseed) The guys were shooting offhand and rather rapidly. I said can I have a shot. I pulled the browning buckmark sillywet pistol with 12 power scope and placed it on my shooting stick and the target exploded first shot. I love it when stuff like that happens. They were lining up to shoot the pistol after that shot. A 12 power scope is crazy for a rim fire handgun but I took it off a contender pistol and it stayed on the buckmark for some time. It now wears a 2-6 because the 4-12 changes eye relief as the magnification goes up. The 2-6 does not. The 4-12 is back on the contender in 7-30 waters with a bipod.

If you want to shoot smaller groups easier a bit of magnification helps as you can see the target better. You will also see all the small movements your breathing and pulse render in your shots. My hunting rifles rarely sport over 6 power scopes but my target shooting rifles rarely sport anything lower than a 9 power scope. You might find a good old 3-9 a bit better from the bench.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    IMO the PST is a better return on investment that the CS2. Yes its 2x the price, but in this case its more than 2x the quality. If you don't want to spend PST money the CS2 is a great option. Its just really hard to compare anything to the PST because the return on investment is just off the chart's.

If I could shoot the two side by side I'd be a lot more inclined to spend the coin for the PST, assuming the difference was evident to a low-end shooter such as myself. I doubt that's going to happen though.

Maybe when I do the DMR build I've been planning I'll drop a bit more cash on a nice Vortex setup.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you want to shoot smaller groups easier a bit of magnification helps as you can see the target better. You will also see all the small movements your breathing and pulse render in your shots.

This is exactly my primary intention, improving groups at 100 yards because with my unmagnified sights I can barely see the target. Not only will the magnification improve my shot placement but it will help me notice more easily my own impact on fliers, such as subtle shifts in POA.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    TR24s are very good options, but about double his stated $400 budget. glass isn't quite as nice as the vortex, esp along the edges, but the brightness of the reticle is a huge plus.

since we are doing pics, here's my 1-4 vortex pst....

I have a 1-4 PST and a TR21, along the edges....maybe clearer, but the glass overall, Trijicon over the PST. To me, much more clear and crisp. But everyones eyes are different.

If I'm realistic with myself I don't need this scope to be amazing, I just need it to get the job done. With that in mind, consider these two cheaper options. Thoughts?

Amazon.com : Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24mm Riflescope w/ V-Brite Reticle, Black CF2-31037 : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone-223 Reticle Riflescope with Target Turrets, 1-4x 24mm : Gun Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

For a 1-4 scope under $300, I like the Crossfire. Glass isn't as clear as the PST but it does a pretty good job and the reticle draws my eye quicker than the PST reticle.

If you could find a Burris 1-4 the glass, to me, has always looked good too

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If I could shoot the two side by side I'd be a lot more inclined to spend the coin for the PST, assuming the difference was evident to a low-end shooter such as myself. I doubt that's going to happen though.

Maybe when I do the DMR build I've been planning I'll drop a bit more cash on a nice Vortex setup.

If you come out you wont be able to shoot each side by side, but will see each side by side and see the diffrences. Then you could make a educated decision on your own experience.

If your primary purpose is shooting groups at 100 yds you should look at higher zoom scopes while your here.

Top Bottom