• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I agree on the pistol calibers. I had a straight stock 30-30 464 for several years and traded it recently but had intentions of getting
    a pistol grip model. Then a minty JM Marlin showed up at a bargain price so now I might hold out for one of the seldom seen Marinecote models. The one I had shot fine, fed and functioned smoothly with any ammo I tried. If you're not going to scope it I'd advise getting the fiber optic sights. The deluxe models ( checkered walnut w/ pistol grip stock) look and feel much better imo.

www.galleryofguns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

Last edited:

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    I would think from a business point of view that there would be a ton of sales. It's hard to find any levergun "American Made" in 44mag.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The Henry is American made.

Yes and I admire Mr Imperato's commitment to customer service and to remaining a Made in America gun company. The Henry centerfire levers look to be well made but @ 10lbs loaded and a brass receiver to boot I just can't get interested.
    If Mossberg would chamber their 464 series in the revolver chamberings we could have another American lever gun at moderate cost and weight.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I would think from a business point of view that there would be a ton of sales. It's hard to find any levergun "American Made" in 44mag.

If they would make the 464 in the big 3 revolver calibers, 357 , 44 and 45Colt they would sell plenty no doubt.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    My problem with the henry is. I want a load it from he receiver. I have a henry 22 and that system is great for 22.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    ^^^^^^^ What do you think of the overall quality of it? Fit, finish, does it cycle good. I heard the 1894 marlin has had some issues and they have a 800.00 price tag if you can find one.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Mgderf, that's a very nice looking gun! :ingo:

^^^^^^^ What do you think of the overall quality of it? Fit, finish, does it cycle good. I heard the 1894 marlin has had some issues and they have a 800.00 price tag if you can find one.

OP, If you're interested in a Marlin the going price is more around the $600 and under range. Link below to a chap in Jasper ( Jeff Miley) who is good to go as a gun dealer. He has the Marlin 44 @$599.00
    Whittaker's has been selling these for even less, IIRC $569.99.
    Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

Whittaker Guns

If you're interested in a Marlin and can't find one at a reasonable price locally the above shops will ship.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mgderf, that's a very nice looking gun! :ingo:

I was FORCED to buy that rifle! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    It's my sister-in-law's fault. She asked me to find a .30-30 lever action rifle that my brother would like to receive as a birthday gift.
    I looked for a Marlin and couldn't find a used one in decent shape that was reasonably priced, so I went to visit the Gun Genie.

I found the exclusive offering from Davison's, the Marinecote 464. I looked over the specs, read a few reviews, and fondled the 5 or 6 Mossbergs in my safe and thought, yeah, he'd probably like the 464.

I told my sister-in-law that this was the one. She had me go with her to our local gun shop/range where I coincidentally teach classes.
    We ordered one, she paid, and told the shop owner to call me when it came in.

The shop owner called just a few days later. I called sis-in-law, and we met to check it out.
    The shop owner handed it to me with a grin on his face saying, "That's a REALLY nice rifle".
    I opened the box and pulled it out. I put it to my shoulder and worked the action.

I thumbed the hammer down and put the rifle back in the box. I had it in my hands less than 2 minutes.
    Sis-in-law asked me what I thought.
    I looked at the shop owner and told him to order me one.

It feeds and shoots just as pretty as it looks. It is every bit as smooth as every other lever gun I own, and smoother than most.
    It's well balanced and not too heavy.
    I'm like a kid in a candy shop waiting for IDNR to change the deer regs.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Thanks for the info. I have contacted Mossberg about adding more caliber options but have not been able to get a straight answer. ^^

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I have contacted Mossberg about adding more caliber options but have not been able to get a straight answer. ^^

That's too bad. For some time after Mossberg first introduced the 464 they had a poll posted on their website regarding other calibers the 464 should be offered in. So far they haven't bothered. I think they might be missing an opportunity to muscle in on Rossi in the under $500 lever action revolver cal lever gun market.

I was FORCED to buy that rifle! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    It's my sister-in-law's fault. She asked me to find a .30-30 lever action rifle that my brother would like to receive as a birthday gift.................

Mgderf,.... that is a great story, and every good gun deserves a good story. That's some of the fun. I believe it to the word.
    Darn SIL! After fondling the gun ordered for her you simply had no choice,... it's very clear!;)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mgderf,.... that is a great story, and every good gun deserves a good story. That's some of the fun. I believe it to the word.
    Darn SIL! After fondling the gun ordered for her you simply had no choice,... it's very clear!;)

So, you have a SIL too huh?

Top Bottom