• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    thinking of getting a lever gun to deer hunt with. im looking at either a .357, or a .44 mag. I am wondering about the distance and knock down power of each. I have a .357 mag. pistol now, so im kind of used to it. but was wondering about killing power in the woods. I will be shooting factory rounds, since I don't reload. thanks in advance.:popcorn:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Short answer: Either will be just fine as long as you make a good shot. Neither will be a instant knock-down if you gut shoot a deer or make an otherwise bad shot.

Long answer: Performance of handgun caliber rounds increases BIG TIME when you run them through a 16" barrel. I'd think either one would do the job just fine, provided you make a decent shot (see above).

Ballistics by the inch
    Ballistics by the inch

Some of the rounds that are designed for use in lever guns (Hornady LeveRevolution...I think there's others from CorBon, etc.) get fantastic performance out of these rounds....inside 150 yards. They start falling off pretty quickly after that.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 44 Mag :: 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 357 Mag :: 357 Mag 140 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

Put in the numbers (bullet weight, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient) into any online calculator. Both give similar trajectories to 150 yards. 50 yard zero, roughly 2 inches low at 100 yards, 8 inches low at 150 yards. Heart or lung shot from either is going to drop a deer within 50-75 yards easy.

Either one would do the trick, provided you know you feed it the right ammo, know your limits, and make a good shot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My .44mag Marlin 1894 has taken a couple dozen deer. None went more than about 50 yards. Some went less than 10 FEET!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While the newer rounds are giving good ballistics on paper with flatter shooting and reaching ranges of 150 ish yards, truth be told with a 357 or 44 mag one would be better off limiting shots to 100 yards or less. With standard magnum pistol round (even through a longer barrel) just starts getting iffy after that range.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i hunt with a pre safety marlin 1894 in .357 magnum with a weaver k 4 scope. i use pmc 158 grain jacketed soft points that have dropped every deer Ive ever shot at up to 100 yds. last year i was so confident that all 3 deer i shot in gun season were head shots.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Either would be a great 100 yd gun in the woods. The .357 performs adimrably when launched from a rifle length barrel. The 44 mag ups the power factor and can be extended some as well. I have a NEF singleshot in 44 mag and I would be comfortable to 150 yds max. Ideal range is still 100 yds though for me.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    To me, the existing pistol makes the choice a no-brainer. Match 'em up.

The Hornady LEVERevolution .357 and .44 are almost identical as far as energy goes.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    thinking of getting a lever gun to deer hunt with. im looking at either a .357, or a .44 mag. I am wondering about the distance and knock down power of each. I have a .357 mag. pistol now, so im kind of used to it. but was wondering about killing power in the woods. I will be shooting factory rounds, since I don't reload. thanks in advance.:popcorn:

I have shot Indiana deer with both, the 357mag and the 44mag in rifles (and pistols). The "Wound Channel" is a non-issue if the bullet goes through the heart and both lungs! If you have a 357mag pistol and can shoot it well, then I would recommend a rifle/carbine in the same caliber. Then learn to shoot it well.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have shot Indiana deer with both, the 357mag and the 44mag in rifles (and pistols). The "Wound Channel" is a non-issue if the bullet goes through the heart and both lungs! If you have a 357mag pistol and can shoot it well, then I would recommend a rifle/carbine in the same caliber. Then learn to shoot it well.

Yes. Either will work. I would go with the same Revolver/Rifle Caliber. I recommend the .357 Mag for you. (OP).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Heck a pellet gun or .22 will work....357 should if you're good. Nothing wrong with caliber commonality. Does not mean bigger bullets don't make bigger holes and are not more effective. Of course they do destroy more meat; but I guess that's the point.

DarkElite220

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2014
    Bloomington
    either caliber will work well but imo i would stay away form Personal protection rounds...although they may hit hard most brands will fragment soon after impact, look for rounds that have bullets with a half jacket or even a soft nose for the best bullet weight retention, allowing for a pass through, and giving you a 3 foot wide blood trail to follow :)

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    If your set on it being only a .357 or .44 then you've already received lots of advice. But I would wait to see if the law changes which would allow .444 Marlin or 35 Remington. But that's just me.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Not that the 357 is not a capable round to hunt with but I would vote for the 44....then pick up a 357!

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I use the Henry 44 and the last deer dropped in his tracks. I used hornady 240 XTP. I have a S&W 629 so the 44 Henry was the choice to keep my calibers to a minimum.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I used a Winchester 94 in 357Mag with Hornady LEVERevolution ammo this year. Dropped my doe where she stood at 65 to 70 yards. Seemed to work fine, I was limiting my shots to within 100 yards. If I was buying a new gun specifically to deer hunt I would go with the 44Mag. Larger bullets, bigger holes. I would still limit my shots to 100 yards though. I like the hornady LEVERevolution, shoots pretty accurate in my gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom