• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    A lot of us on this board order AR lower receivers in bulk when there's deals to be had. As we all know, they have to go through a FFL.

Some FFL's charge per item, and some charge per FFL form. FFL fees can get a bit out of hand when a FFL wants to charge you $15-25 per receiver, and you're ordering quite a few of them. I actually had one tell me it'd be $125 for 5 receivers. Since that would have completely ruined the cost savings, I asked him if he could transfer them any cheaper since it was a bit too expensive for me, and he would not.

This thread is to chronicle where to go for these transfers.

I've had OK success with Columbus Pawn. They do $20 per FFL form + $5 per additional firearm (so $25 for 2, $30 for 3, $35 for 4, etc...). Sometimes, they'll cut you a cheaper deal if they like you. You must either go in or call them to verify before ordering. Otherwise, there may be an uninformed employee that doesn't know this, and they'll charge you $20 per receiver when you check out.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Four Seasons Gunshop in Bloomington does (unless they changed) $15/item but no bulk discounts.
    I've never really asked. I'm sure if you were to order a bunch they might work with you a bit -- obviously arrange beforehand.

It is a good shop and they are grateful for business, even transfers.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Down By The Tracks is $25 per form. Doesn't matter if its 1 lower, or 8 lowers ( at least it didn't last time I had 8 shipped in).

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Man, quick on the reply there. But glad to hear, I'll be in tomorrow/thursday to pick up a rifle that's being shipped in.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I did. They charge $15 each. They did offer to "cut me a deal" and do 6 for the price of 5, but that's still $75.....

Good guys up there, but a bit salty on the FFL fee if you're doing more than one firearm. And they would not do any cheaper (I asked).

Id recommend calling the Guys at USDS in greenwood. They only charge $15 for transfers and they take care of their customers. It's worth a shot. 317-300-8192

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I did. They charge $15 each. They did offer to "cut me a deal" and do 6 for the price of 5, but that's still $75.....

Good guys up there, but a bit salty on the FFL fee if you're doing more than one firearm. And they would not do any cheaper (I asked).

I think you will find that we will still be one of the cheapest still.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry, you're great guys and awesome to deal with. But for bulk transfers, you are not one of the cheapest, and that's what this thread is about.

If you don't mind, could you go into why you charge so much for bulk transfers? It's minimal extra work on your part to do multiple receivers on the same form (lets say for example 4 on the same form) vs. doing a single receiver on the form. It's all on the same phone call and form. The only difference is you write down 3 more serial numbers in this example.

Why not have a bulk pricing strategy similar to some others I've seen:
    $15 for the first one, and $5 per additional?

Is it really $15 more work per item added to a transfer form?

I think you will find that we will still be one of the cheapest still.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, you're great guys and awesome to deal with. But for bulk transfers, you are not one of the cheapest, and that's what this thread is about.

If you don't mind, could you go into why you charge so much for bulk transfers? It's minimal extra work on your part to do multiple receivers on the same form (lets say for example 4 on the same form) vs. doing a single receiver on the form. It's all on the same phone call as well.

Why not have a bulk pricing strategy similar to some others I've seen:
    $15 for the first one, and $5 per additional?

Is it really $15 more work per item added to a transfer form?

-We still have time into signing them in and out, emailing back and forth, and phone calls
    -We must do a multiple pistol sale form if they are pistols
    -We are still liable for the safe keeping of these items (if they are stolen)
    -We pay for the trash dumpster that all the boxes go into that people leave us from their transfers
    -It's simply the cost of not purchasing locally, we are offering a service for a fee.
    -If someone else is doing it cheaper than that, then we are more than willing to let them take that on

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    -We still have time into signing them in and out

It takes an extra 10 seconds to write out an extra serial number. You've already got your books out due to the first transfer

-We must do a multiple pistol sale form if they are pistols

Understood since there's an extra form due to pistols, but this is about AR receivers. You could have a different pricing strategy for multiple pistols vs. multiple long guns.

-We are still liable for the safe keeping of these items (if they are stolen)

Understood, but is your insurance increased due to holding a few extra receivers that are only worth about $50 a piece? You shouldn't be personally liable, and if you are, you need to rethink your insurance.

-We pay for the trash dumpster that all the boxes go into that people leave us from their transfers

Have people take their trash. I never left anything there. You guys should also recycle if you've got that much cardboard.

-It's simply the cost of not purchasing locally, we are offering a service for a fee.

That's what it really comes down to. Punishing the customer for not purchasing locally. The only reason this is acceptable is because BATFE says we have to do this stupid method of transferring firearms if they're coming from an FFL.

That's all well and good. You guys have the right to price as you see fit. But you guys aren't one of the cheapest for bulk transfers. Actually, your pricing for bulk transfers is pretty high. You're pretty good if someone is only transferring one gun, though.

I also left my .02 on your points. Take them or leave them. They're just my opinions as a customer.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That's all well and good. You guys have the right to price as you see fit. But you guys aren't one of the cheapest for bulk transfers. Actually, your pricing for bulk transfers is pretty high. You're pretty good if someone is only transferring one gun, though.

I also left my .02 on your points. Take them or leave them. They're just my opinions as a customer.
    :rolleyes:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis

BTW what receivers are you transferring? could we price match it?

Top Bottom