Need an elk rifle (and deer if DNR approves the new regs)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I am going on my first Western hunt next year. I currently don't own anything capable of taking an elk other than a muzzleloader.
    I'm looking for a good bolt gun that I can also use here on deer if its approved.
    I don't know jack about hi powered rifles so I have what you all may think are stupid questions.

Caliber selection: What would be adequate on an elk and not overkill on a deer? I do reload (currently only pistol), so component availability would help lots. .308 seems to be the most available from the little bit I have researched.

Make and model selection: I have a budget of $1k total including glass, mount, any other work, stock replacement/bedding, reloading components, etc. I have read about the Rem 700 being basically the 10/22 of its class with ample parts etc available. Is this a good place to start? I prefer stainless and lightweight if that helps.

Educate me on anything I should be looking at when comparing guns. Like I said, Im a noob in the rifle world. I don't even own an AR.

Thanks in advance INGO.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd personally do a .270. It's based on a 30-06 case necked down to .270.

My second choice would be 6.5x55 (6.5mm Swede).

Either of those will be more than adequate for elk, and won't be overkill for deer. Heck, the Swedes have been successfully hunting moose with 6.5x55 for years.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    With a 1K budget, I would look at something lightweight & ready to shoot out of the box as your budget will disappear quickly if you have to start upgrading components.

The Ruger American in 7mm-08 might be a good option: $330-360 street price (leaving room for for quality glass, mount, components, etc), enough power for elk at 400yds, 6.4lbs + glass/mount, good bullet selection (and commercial ammo choices) in the 140-150gr range, and handles wind reasonably well. You should be able to find the stainless variant <$440, if you prefer.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If I were you, and on that budget, I'd be looking for a good used rifle. There's a TON of good used hunting guns that are very low round count for sale here and on INGO. You'll get a lot better bang for your buck, and that $1000 will get you out of the "budget" gun category on the used market.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would not rule out a nice 8X57 either, cheap ammo is not too hard to locate, easy round to reload, and nice sporters are not that expensive. Mine has the ugly bolt handle conversion but even with the new stock, detachable magazine, and good glass I am under $600 total in the project. And it shoot 1 1/2 inch with surplus ammo.

45372370-25ea-49ac-956d-95fab8dfc4bf_zps2413e218.jpg

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    look at savage, low cost entry level axis or axis ii, or for a little more $ look at the 10/110,11/111,16/116 models. if it has an xp inthe description it is a combo package of gun and scope. 30/06 , 308 are do it all rounds for big game in north america. Remington is having spotty QC issues. you wont go wrong with savage. i own both brands,but if iwas going to buy one right now it would be savage. as a bonus savage currently has a rebate on both models.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I picked up a barely used Savage 116 in .30-06 from an INGOer, put Vortex glass on it from A&A, and bought new dies from Profire all for under 1K. Still working up a pet load, but I can go just about anywhere in the world and hunt a whole lot of critters with it.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    A buddy of mine just got back from taking a large bull with his Model 70 built into a 300 win mag... The elk didn't go very far... Shot was at ~600 yards.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I went on my first western Elk and Mule deer hunt last Fall. I shot a Mulie buck at 300 yards with a borrowed .300 Winchester Magnum. I have since put together a "budget" Elk/deer rifle as you are contemplating.
    I opted for a gently used Savage 110 in 7mm Remington Magnum. Picked it up for $269 in the off season. Put a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 with BDC on top of a one piece base for another $200 (scope and base) Nice sling, see thru scope caps, Limb Saver recoil pad and 5 boxes of ammo later, I am still under $700.
    .270, .308, 30-06, 7mm-08, doesn't matter about caliber so much if the rifle will hit where you point it and you practice with it. Look for a deal and run with it.

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Oh, an no such thing as "over kill". You can't kill a critter deader than dead. Lol
    Shooting deer with a larger caliber? Just dial it down to a 130 -140 grain bullet or something with less expansion. That .300 Winchester Magnum did not destroy any unnecessary meat with a 180 grain bullet. I just pulled off the shoulders and punched his lungs through the rib cage.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The .358 WSM 1.8" is adequate for elk out to 300-350 yards and is legal NOW for deer. It meets or exceeds the .35 Whelen. Nosler now has a 200gr Accubond designed for the Whelen, and Barnes TTSX work great too. The .358 WSSM (legal) or .358 Winchester (not legal yet) will work too, just respect the distance... 250 yards is probably OK and 90% of animals are shot within that range anyway.

If the new rules go through then I would also consider .338's The .338-06 would top my list. With handloads it's possible to retain 2000fps and 2000fpe out to 400 yards, and if we're honest exceeds most everyone's skill level. Yet the .35 Whelen and .358 WSM 1.8" (200gr @ 2900+fps) is not too far behind - if it weren't for the Indiana rules I never would have tried the .35 caliber but I'm a big fan now.

What else would I consider... The .280 Rem and maybe the .284 Winchester (heavy bullets are harder to stuff into the .284 Win unless you use a long action, but then I would just do a .280 Rem), the 7mm WSM (ammo and especially brass are very hard to find), 7mm RemMag, the .30-06 with the right bullet, but I'm not a fan of the .30 caliber magnums... I'd rather move up in caliber and shoot a 33 or 35 caliber and those fat 200 and 225gr bullets.

If you want to read a million pages of arguments, go on over to shootersforum.com and look for this topic in the rifle section.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Great advice so far on here.
    I'd look at 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, 270, and maybe 7 Rem Mag

Tikka T3 lite, Ruger American, T/C Venture, or anything from savage for under $650.
    Remember if you'll be hauling it all over the mountains, you want ti keep it realtively light (without scope or ammo, in the 7-8 lb range)

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Don't rule out a Tikka T3 Hunter. Just purchased on in 7mm RM for first western hunt next year. Shoots like a dream. It's a little more $ than other options, but can find for little over $600.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I am partial to the 300 WSM with a 185 gr Berger VLD. It has killed elk DRT for me very well. Does a number on deer and antelope as well. The old tried and true 30-06 with a 180 gr. Partition has done well for me too on elk out to 450 yards. The 300 WSM is my all around go to gun. Its overkill sometimes, but dead is dead and I really like the rifle. I am partial to .243 as well, but I don't believe it would ever be my go to elk round (antelope, that's another story). You can easily get into a good used Savage mod 12 or R700 with decent glass within your price range.

I would consider the following calibers as a dual purpose elk / deer rifle in this order of personal preference:
    300 WSM, 7mm, 300 WM, 7mm WSM, .280, 30-06, .264 WM, .308., .270, 6.5 CM, .260

If you can tolerate recoil, add 300 ultra. If you reload, add 7mm STW.

Dirty Steve

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You reload, so think bullet first. Even if you didn't, thinking bullet first would be the right move.

People who don't kill elk somehow get the idea into their imaginations that elk are hard to kill. Those of us who knock them over with alarmingly (to elks) regularity are well aware that is far from true. Any 'good' bullet will smash an elk and a whitetail. Both with the same shot if you can get them to line up.

Along those lines there is the pair of 0.243" 105s from Hornady, AMax and HPBT. I tend to shoot more HPBTs than AMax these days, but both are big medicine on quadrupeds. 0.243" 90 grain Lapua Scenars are excellent as well and fit more factory twists, though they tax the bank account a bit more. The 0.284" 162 AMax is maybe the best bullet on offer from anyone anywhere and if I were to do only 1 rifle it'd be something configured to shoot it. In some places the 0.224" 75 AMax is elk legal and is maybe the second best bullet on offer. If you somehow get stuck with a 0.308" whatever, Lapua's 155 Scenar is its only saving grace.

There are a myriad of other capable bullets out there. Some with more reliable terminal effects than the above but that give up a lot of ballistic ground. Most anything on the light-for-diameter end of the spectrum from Barnes is a top notch killing bullet. A guy who can shoot, armed with a handful of 162 AMax and a handful of 120 TSX, could easily kill anything that walks.

Bullet selection will depend on what can be loaded into the lands and still fit the mag box, and what the barrel twist will stabilize. A bolt action single shot should't appeal to anyone and neither should keyholes at any range. Remington 7s and 700s with longish throats can knock the 162 out of contention. Factory twists from Winchester won't spin a 105. Etc etc.

Bullet picked, consider the case to use to launch it. One rifle for everything might rate a short mag, where the 7 WSM rules the roost, but never a belt. There is also almost never a reason to go with a long action, and for an elk/deer rifle there never is. Best choices are something based on either 308 Win or 284 Win. I like 284s as much as anyone, but 308 based brass is far more abundant and allows a few more bullets to squeeze into the mag equation above. Anything x57 based is easy to pass up, brass availability and quality pale by comparison and adding case length to get nothing in return isn't a wise trade.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The .243 idea is a solid one, know a few guys who have put down elk with one. My preference is for .30 caliber bullets. Not that they are the best, just the bullet that I like best. The .308 Winchester will do the job, but the 30-06 will give you just a little more umph, and handle the heavier bullets better. Not that you NEED the 220 grain bullets for elk, but if its a do-all rifle, whos to say you wont some day decide to try a moose? As far as mag capacity, you are dropping an animal, not storming the beaches of Normandy. Many a hunter has dropped big game with a single shot, so limiting mag capacity with a belted magnum shouldnt be an issue.

Since you reload, going big and down loading to a level you deem reasonable for deer is a good option too. The only thing that you are out this route is the price of brass, and if you are down loading, brass should live a long happy life, making that balance out with the standard calibers better...

Top Bottom